Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 10
Page 10 of 117 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 1169

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Daugherty16 View Post
    +++ to Ironhorse and Queball and Redhat and the others who aren't posturing or playing the macho card


    What is in your best interest in a traffic stop? In order - not get shot, not get arrested, not get hassled, not get a ticket. How? It isn't rocket science. Hard to believe so many of you would deliberately set the stage for a potential nasty encounter by insisting on secrecy. You keep your gun secret from the public and the BGs, but not from a LEO in a personal encounter. Period. If you are a legal CCW, your rights are secure. What to do?

    #1 - Obey the law. If you must inform, do so.
    # 2 Even if you don't legally have to, do it anyway. It is axiomatic if you follow # 3.
    #3 Be respectful. LEOs have very tough jobs, but i'm glad they are there doing them. They deal with too many jerkoffs (not to mention criminals) so make the exchange easier for both of you by being pleasant.In other words, let them know you're one of the good guys by telling them up front what they wonder EVERY TIME they approach a car.
    #4 Keep your hands on top of the steering wheel until they are at your window. They WILL appreciate it. Move slowly when you do move. Have your wallet in hand if you can without fumbling around in the car while they are approaching - it might look like you're hiding stuff (or grabbing a weapon? )even if you're just going for your registration and proof of insurance. Otherwise leave it in your pocket for now.
    # 5 Greet them. Hello officer. What seems to be the trouble?
    #6 Hand them your DL and CCW together. Tell him that 2nd one is my carry permit, i am carrying, (where it is - right hip, small of back, etc). If doing so might expose your weapon before you can hand them your CCW, tell them before you reach for your wallet. Go slow. Not using the word GUN is really a simple, but excellent, idea.
    #7. If they insist on taking possession of your gun, agree pleasantly(even though this will be the hardest thing you ever let someone do), ask what they want you to do, and offer to help safe it if they are not familiar with the weapon. Especially if you carry with one in the chamber, tell them.
    #8. If things get worse from that point, it's on the LEO. Get the badge #, ask for a supervisor to come to the stop.
    # 9 otherwise, take your warning or your ticket, take your weapon back as applicable, and get going.

    Remember that every single time an officer makes a traffic stop, he is at full alert watching you and assessing whether you are a threat. Every single time. Too darn many get gunned down making a simple traffic stop. So be an un-threat.
    a very wise response. That is exactly what the LEO deserves. They are out there placing their life on the line and you dont give them enough respect them to give them info to help him be at ease, you are then part of the problem

  2.   
  3. #92
    Why do people keep assuming that by not informing when they are not legally obligated, that they are also being an a$$?

    If I am law abiding citizen and I have any other type of legal item in my pocket and I don't tell the officer is it secrecy?

  4. #93
    +10 to Daughtery16 - Great explanation and instruction.

    I do not think of anyone adhering strictly to their rights of not notifying is an a$$. I simply do not see how actively cooperating and providing information that will, most of the time, improve the atmosphere of the encounter is putting someone's rights at risk. If your rights are violated, legal action can and SHOULD per persued, no question.

    Note that I have never claimed that not notifying was not cooperating with the LEO... I just feel that there is a big difference between "active" and "passive" cooperation. Food for thought.

    One other suggestion to Daughtery16's list, that may help bridge the gap of opinion... I always have a small digital voice recorder in a cubby of my dash. If I am pulled over, rather than take the time (and risk) of going for my wallet before the LEO arrives at my door, I simply push the record button. I then have audio proof of the entire encounter. You have every right to do so. Works great to give YOU peace of mind about the pending encounter, should you be treated less than fairly. Also, since you know it is there, it keeps your own emotions and actions more in check. If you decide not to record it because you are worried about what you yourself might say, then just maybe the LEO is not the one who has a problem???

  5. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
    That is a major difference from what your original post states.
    My post #'s are 11, 12, 26, 32, 42, 54, 59, 63, 74, 77, and 87. Which one of them would you say is any different than my last? I have just gone through all of them. A handful of them don't even relate to an LEO encounter, and the most "unpolite" one was a crack about cops and donuts. All my pertaining statements are consistent. I'll be polite and answer his questions, but nothing more. That's a threat? That's disrespectful?
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

  6. Quote Originally Posted by devildave31 View Post
    Why do people keep assuming that by not informing when they are not legally obligated, that they are also being an a$$?

    If I am law abiding citizen and I have any other type of legal item in my pocket and I don't tell the officer is it secrecy?
    When you get drawn on because your piece is printing through your shirt and your face is plastered in the pavement take a picture so we can all laugh our asses off OK?

  7. Where can you get an audio recorder like Queball described? That sound like a good idea.

  8. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
    When you get drawn on because your piece is printing through your shirt and your face is plastered in the pavement take a picture so we can all laugh our asses off OK?
    Aside from your statement being childish, it also supports a reason NOT to inform. An officer that would draw on you or feed you pavement because of a mere print (that, as far as he knows, might be a gun) would likely do the same (or close to the same) as soon as you try to inform him. A cool calm and collected officer (IF he even felt threatened) would ask what is under your shirt and go from there.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

  9. Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Aside from your statement being childish, it also supports a reason NOT to inform. An officer that would draw on you or feed you pavement because of a mere print (that, as far as he knows, might be a gun) would likely do the same (or close to the same) as soon as you try to inform him. A cool calm and collected officer (IF he even felt threatened) would ask what is under your shirt and go from there.
    You are either a very naive individual know nothing of human behavior or asking for trouble. By informing you will negate any confrontation, Good luck in the future you are going to need it!

    I have been pulled over 2 times while carrying, once was with a well seasoned officer and one with a kid cop with an attitude. Both times because I handed over my CPL with my license it was a moot point no issue at all.

    Matter of fact both times i was not cited for speeding and the conversation turned to what I carry and how I liked it and how it shot.

    I will be at the shooting range with one of the LEO's next week.

    These are guys like us they like to shoot and they have a very stressful job and should always have our support and that would be to give them the respect to inform them that you are carrying. I guess we will never be on the same page.

  10. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
    You are either a very naive individual know nothing of human behavior ... By informing you will negate any confrontation...
    I know at least this much about human behavior: all humans think/ act/ respond differently. To generically state that informing will negate any confrontation is a poorly thought out assumption two fold. It assumes that the LEO will flip out if you don't inform, and that he will not flip out if you do. But I'm not worried about the LEO over reacting anyway, as I believe the majority of them to be rational. Plus we have a SCOTUS ruling on Terry v. Ohio (1968) which states in regard to the 4th amendment and specifically "stop and frisk" (from wikipedia)
    "when a policeman "observes unusual conduct" that leads him to reasonably believe "that criminal activity may be afoot" and that the suspicious person has a weapon and is presently dangerous to the policeman or others, he may conduct a "pat-down search" (or "frisk"), to determine whether the person is in fact carrying a weapon."
    I hardly believe that a simple gun print by itself falls under that reasonable belief. And that is just to justify a pat-down search. I don't believe I'm naive in saying that getting tossed facedown is far beyond a pat-down. But again, over-reaction isn't really one of my reasons to not inform. I'm not really afraid that the situation will escalate just because I didn't inform. On the other hand, it seems to be a fairly popular reason TO inform. Between you and me, I think I give them more credit as being rational, while you seem to be the paranoid one.

    (BTW, if you do decide to visit the wikipedia article on 4A, be sure to read the whole thing. There is alot of pertinent information there. Try to relate it to the idea of a LEO over reacting to a weapon. I think you will find it enlightening.)

    Quote Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
    ...or asking for trouble.
    Not really asking for it, but nor do I fear it enough to give up my freedom. Neither did the Founding Fathers.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."- Ben Franklin.
    Think of informing as giving up a little liberty, and putting the LEO at ease as gaining a little security. Liberty is never just snatched away from us all at once. It is taken (or more likely, GIVEN) little by little. Pretty soon, informing is just the norm, and so why not just make it a law? (if it isn't already) This is how we have gotten to where we are today, with so many restrictions on something that wasn't ever supposed to be restricted in the first place.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson.
    This goes back to not fearing trouble. If a LEO totally flips out and over reacts over me NOT doing something I'm NOT obligated to do, and decides to feed me pavement, that officer won't be on the force very long. Do I want that to happen? No. And as many of you have stated, as have I, the majority of LEOs are rational. And to that extent, I believe they would not over react. But, I'm willing to take that face beating if it is in exchange of getting a rare bad cop off the force.

    Quote Originally Posted by queball View Post
    Maybe it is because I am in a gun friendly state (Utah), but I see way too much paranoia about this subject...
    I would actually see that as another reason not to inform. If I am in a gun-friendly environment, then the gun is of no concern to anyone. However, I could definately see the case being made in say NY, a very gun-unfriendly place. Just out of principle, I personally still would not inform if I were ever in that situation, which is all but impossible because I can see NO seneraio where I would ever live in NY. But I can see weighing the odds of a LEO flipping out if you don't inform, and I think NY would have the highest odds.


    As long as you are not involved in criminal activty there will be no problem.
    Give me a break. This arguement also ties in to the 4th amendment, at least in analogy. Are you going to let a cop search your house without a warrant? I'm not, and I hope you don't either. So what if you have nothing to hide? That is the whole point. You're not doing anything wrong and unless a warrant has been secured, based on some probable cause, they have no business rifleing through your effects or your papers. Same thing applies to informing. I'm not doing anything wrong, so why not inform? For that very reason, because I'm not doing anything wrong. The fact that I have a firearm in my possession has nothing to do with the stop. The firearm wasn't speeding, I was.

    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    Wasn't Oklahoma that was looking to change the (shall inform) law because it only applied to law abiding license holders and did nothing to those who actually were a threat to the cop and society who was illegally carrying?
    I don't know about OK specifically, but that concept ties in with the 5th amendment and U.S. v. Haynes- 1968. The SCOTUS ruled that convicted felons cannot be prosecuted for failing to register a firearm because it would be self incrimination. The same can be said for the states that require you to inform the LEO. If you are not a felon, you will become one if you don't inform in some of these states. But, if you were already a felon, you could not be charged with failure to inform, because you would be incriminating yourself. How non-sensical is it that the law would only apply to otherwise law-abiding citizens? The topic of this thread assumes no duty to inform, but this is very closely related. As I have stated earlier, if informing becomes the norm, it could very well become the law.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daugherty16 View Post
    +++ to Ironhorse and Queball and Redhat and the others who aren't posturing or playing the macho card...
    I'm not posturing or trying to sound macho. There are just some principles that I stand strongly for, as did the Founding Fathers. And I'm not comparing myself to them, so don't even start on that. I know I don't hold a candle to their wisdom and intelect, and most of all their experience, nor does anyone else here. They knew how important it was/ is to stand up for your freedom and rights because they lived under the rule of tyrants. Everything I do or say, I try to do in their likeness and with their passion, because some 200+ years later, it is no less important.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

  11. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    As I've said before, it is not disrespectful to not notify an officer if I'm carrying or not provided the law doesn't specify the requirement to notify. I am not a threat to the officer. If I was, I certainly wouldn't notify and he wouldn't know until I became a threat. I will follow the law but I don't know the guy. I don't know his attitude towards a citizen doing what is legal. I don't know his level of knowledge in handling guns that are not the one he trains with. I don't trust anyone I don't know handling a loaded gun closely around me. I am very watchful when I am at a range because of that. I am not bashful about speaking up (respectfully) when guns are mishandled. If a police officer were to take my weapon, he has already shown disrespect for me, and I would be afraid to criticize his mishandling of my weapon if he did.

    I have only been stopped once in the 16 years that I have been carrying and I did not notify. Generally that is going to be my position.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Page 10 of 117 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Commonsense in Concealed Carry, and Gunfights
    By Kaymen in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 06:11 AM
  2. Travel to Ohio from MA
    By DickL in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 03:07 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 10:32 PM
  4. A LEO speaks about citizens & CC
    By Glock Fan in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 11:52 PM
  5. Inside A Concealed Carry Class
    By lukem in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 10:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast