Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 104
Page 104 of 117 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1169

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    What you actually agreed to is giving him permission to search your trunk, just thought I'd point that out.
    Very good point! Buy hey... none of us have anything to hide, right? Just because we have nothing to hide does not guarantee that they won't find something.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Randy Gebele View Post
    Do not give him any unnecessary reason to mistrust you.
    Carrying an item that is lawfully mine to possess in a manner that is also lawful is no reason for an officer to mistrust me. Whether that object is a cell phone, wrist watch or gun.

he will assume you are hiding it for some nefarious purpose.
    He can assume anything he wants to. However without Reasonable and Articulable Suspicion of a crime being committed there ain't jack squat he can legally do about his assumptions.

Keep in mind most people a cop comes in contact with on a daily basis is a criminal or reprobate.
    Not where I am from. You must live in a bad neighborhood.

One of the big reasons that the public and police treat guns differently than anything else is because a lot of gun owners treat guns differently than anything else. You wouldn't feel the need to tell the cop about the cell phone in your pocket, would you?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Now I have a question. What if you are not driving and you are a passenger of the vehicle and you get stopped. Assuming it is not your vehicle and he is only talking to the driver, as a cpl holder, do I still need to let the officer know I am carrying? In MI as a driver, I am required to let him know.

Quote Originally Posted by Profisher777 View Post
    Now I have a question. What if you are not driving and you are a passenger of the vehicle and you get stopped. Assuming it is not your vehicle and he is only talking to the driver, as a cpl holder, do I still need to let the officer know I am carrying? In MI as a driver, I am required to let him know.
    It's my understanding that as long as the Officer makes no direct contact with you that you would have no duty to notify.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    What you actually agreed to is giving him permission to search your trunk, just thought I'd point that out.
    We don't need to consent to no stinkin searches!

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    How so? Besides speeding, I was doing nothing illegal and he would have had no right to search without probable cause, which he had none because speeding does not constitute probable cause. Just because he places something on top of my trunk doesn't give him any special permission to search inside of it. Either way, it's a moot point because that guy saved me a lot of money

8. Quote Originally Posted by jabatam View Post
    How so? Besides speeding, I was doing nothing illegal and he would have had no right to search without probable cause, which he had none because speeding does not constitute probable cause. Just because he places something on top of my trunk doesn't give him any special permission to search inside of it. Either way, it's a moot point because that guy saved me a lot of money
    Treo and I were under the assumption that you gave him permission to place the gun INSIDE the trunk of your car. In that case, officer (or you) opens the trunk with your permission and a bag of marijuana magically appears in plain sight in the trunk, or any other "suspicious" item...now you're busted because you consented to the officer opening the trunk. The probable cause requirement is completely null and void once you give consent.

What he said^
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

It isn't a requirement here in PA. People can choose whether they would inform the officer, but I personally wouldn't. To get right to the point, it is none of his business.

If he sees a gun in my car, then he can ask me for my License To Carry Firearms (LTCF), which I would be required to show at that point. If he assumes that I have it for some negative purpose, that's his problem. I'm already under the assumption that he is a power-mad wannabe who would be crapping his pants if it weren't for a badge and a little authority. That's MY problem. Assumptions mean nothing.

Most people a cop comes in contact with daily are people who violate minor traffic codes. Unless you are in a major city, and in a bad part of that city, most cops almost never have an encounter with anyone who is violent enough to actually take negative action against him. The cops in my area probably spend their entire careers doing nothing but writing tickets and making a few arrests for DUI and the occasional vandalism or drug bust.

So in short, if the cop mistrusts me, then we're on equal footing, since I start out mistrusting him. He just doesn't get any special treatment from me just because he is a cop.

11. Quote Originally Posted by rayven View Post
    So in short, if the cop mistrusts me, then we're on equal footing, since I start out mistrusting him. He just doesn't get any special treatment from me just because he is a cop.

+1000 to that!