Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 107
Page 107 of 117 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1169

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

First time posting here!

I've been carrying since I turned 21 here in Indiana and have a lifetime permit and several Class III items as well as being very open about my thoughts about carrying, so friends and family generally turn to me for questions or advice. Recently a coworker got his CCW and asked my opinion on informing a LEO about possession. My first question was what would be the circumstances?

His reply for the sake of argument was a traffic stop of some kind so I replied, you've already broken some law so the officer took the time to pull you over and you're questioning whether or not you should bother to tell them you're legally carrying a firearm?

He took my point and then I shared the three times in 19 years I've dealt with law enforcement while carrying a firearm. First time I was speeding in my 20s (those were the days) and got pulled over. It was night so I turned on my I side lights and put the Glock 19 I was carrying on my dashboard and put my hands on the steering wheel. Cop came up and saw gun immediately, asked for my permit immediately and after I produced it and my license, he asked me to sit tight and leave the pistol right where it was at. Little bit later he brought my warning back, thanked me for putting the pistol out where it was visible and told me to slow it down. He was a Sergent for the (then) Marion County sheriff's department, and my quick decision to unholster my pistol and place it where it was visible probably got me out of a ticket. I wouldn't do that these days I don't think.

Second time was another traffic stop for an illegal turn more recently and was an Indiana State Trooper. I gave the trooper my license and permit and he asked if I was carrying and I told him yes, and that it was holstered on my right hip. He thanked me for letting him know, ran my info and came back with just the license and permit and told me to pay better attention to the signs and asked purely out of curiosity what I was carrying. When I told him a Glock 20 he didn't recognize the model so I took my spare magazine out if the holder on my left hip and showed him the 10mm round. He laughed and asked if I was planning on being assaulted by bears.

My third encounter was a bit more unpleasant. I was sitting in a Denny's about 3 in the morning and apparently the waitress wasn't impressed with my loud drunken buddies (I was designated driver and also carrying so I was not under the influence). She was also apparently not happy with my pistol holster being visible so she asked some officers in the restaurant to check us out. We were approached by two IMPD officers who asked if we were ok, they had gotten a complaint that were we loud, etc. As the sober party I became the spokesperson, apologized and told them we'd be going soon anyway, and after putting his hand on his service pistol asked if I was the one carrying the gun. Yes, sir, I am and I'd be happy to show you my permit if you'd like. He stated that he would like to see it since part of the complaint involved a firearm and asked me to stand up very slowly and produce my license and permit. I complied, his partner searched me real fast and noted the pistol without removing it or taking possession of it, the other called in my info while I got to stand in the restaurant with my hands on my head and an officer holding my thumbs pretty tightly, but after confirming my info and finding no warrants they gave my stuff back and told us all to wrap it up and head on home.

SO, my answer and opinion is to ALWAYS notify and comply with an officer, and all the cops I know have said the same thing as well. Reading this thread and the comments from people stating police are violating your rights by asking made me slightly nauseous quite frankly. They have a job to do and for you to pop up on their radar at all should make you want to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're a law abiding citizen and not worth their concern or fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cord:236157
    First time posting here!

I've been carrying since I turned 21 here in Indiana and have a lifetime permit and several Class III items as well as being very open about my thoughts about carrying, so friends and family generally turn to me for questions or advice. Recently a coworker got his CCW and asked my opinion on informing a LEO about possession. My first question was what would be the circumstances?

His reply for the sake of argument was a traffic stop of some kind so I replied, you've already broken some law so the officer took the time to pull you over and you're questioning whether or not you should bother to tell them you're legally carrying a firearm?

He took my point and then I shared the three times in 19 years I've dealt with law enforcement while carrying a firearm. First time I was speeding in my 20s (those were the days) and got pulled over. It was night so I turned on my I side lights and put the Glock 19 I was carrying on my dashboard and put my hands on the steering wheel. Cop came up and saw gun immediately, asked for my permit immediately and after I produced it and my license, he asked me to sit tight and leave the pistol right where it was at. Little bit later he brought my warning back, thanked me for putting the pistol out where it was visible and told me to slow it down. He was a Sergent for the (then) Marion County sheriff's department, and my quick decision to unholster my pistol and place it where it was visible probably got me out of a ticket. I wouldn't do that these days I don't think.

Second time was another traffic stop for an illegal turn more recently and was an Indiana State Trooper. I gave the trooper my license and permit and he asked if I was carrying and I told him yes, and that it was holstered on my right hip. He thanked me for letting him know, ran my info and came back with just the license and permit and told me to pay better attention to the signs and asked purely out of curiosity what I was carrying. When I told him a Glock 20 he didn't recognize the model so I took my spare magazine out if the holder on my left hip and showed him the 10mm round. He laughed and asked if I was planning on being assaulted by bears.

My third encounter was a bit more unpleasant. I was sitting in a Denny's about 3 in the morning and apparently the waitress wasn't impressed with my loud drunken buddies (I was designated driver and also carrying so I was not under the influence). She was also apparently not happy with my pistol holster being visible so she asked some officers in the restaurant to check us out. We were approached by two IMPD officers who asked if we were ok, they had gotten a complaint that were we loud, etc. As the sober party I became the spokesperson, apologized and told them we'd be going soon anyway, and after putting his hand on his service pistol asked if I was the one carrying the gun. Yes, sir, I am and I'd be happy to show you my permit if you'd like. He stated that he would like to see it since part of the complaint involved a firearm and asked me to stand up very slowly and produce my license and permit. I complied, his partner searched me real fast and noted the pistol without removing it or taking possession of it, the other called in my info while I got to stand in the restaurant with my hands on my head and an officer holding my thumbs pretty tightly, but after confirming my info and finding no warrants they gave my stuff back and told us all to wrap it up and head on home.

SO, my answer and opinion is to ALWAYS notify and comply with an officer, and all the cops I know have said the same thing as well. Reading this thread and the comments from people stating police are violating your rights by asking made me slightly nauseous quite frankly. They have a job to do and for you to pop up on their radar at all should make you want to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're a law abiding citizen and not worth their concern or fear.
    Welcome,

The fumes from your polish made me a little nauseous too!

Have a good day, hope you find all the articles on here interesting and informative.

Quote Originally Posted by 45fella View Post
    Agreed. If I got pulled over and was "asked" by the officer if I'm carrying...yes, I would tell him I was. But if he asked me to give it to him.....I'd roll up the window and ask for a supervisor, start my video spy camera and tell the officer I'm videoing (with audio) everything from this point forward for the record and elect to have a supervisor on scene before I give my gun to anyone.
    Great way to get yourself forcibly removed from your vehicle and experience a face plant. Expect your "spy video" and camera to come up missing when they do an inventory of your vehicle subsequent to arrest.

Don't worry pal, I was like you in my younger days when I first started carrying. Get to know the local PD. They're not as bad as you think they are, and contrary to popular belief, they're not necessarily "the enemy".
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan:236169

Great way to get yourself forcibly removed from your vehicle and experience a face plant. Expect your "spy video" and camera to come up missing when they do an inventory of your vehicle subsequent to arrest.

Don't worry pal, I was like you in my younger days when I first started carrying. Get to know the local PD. They're not as bad as you think they are, and contrary to popular belief, they're not necessarily "the enemy".
    Lol yes exactly, they aren't bad people at all...good people face plant legal carrying citizens and steal their stuff so they don't get in trouble for excessive force. Sounds like really awesome people to get to know.

Nebraska

Nebraska flags you driver license. Its always a good idea to let the officer know if you are carrying. Just be up front with them. They might even be a little more leanant. If you don't tell them and they run you driver license you can loose your permit if you have a weapon on you. Second offence gun violation you will loose your permit

Quote Originally Posted by rogerw:236173
    Nebraska flags you driver license. Its always a good idea to let the officer know if you are carrying. Just be up front with them. They might even be a little more leanant. If you don't tell them and they run you driver license you can loose your permit if you have a weapon on you. Second offence gun violation you will loose your permit
    Agree, in Nebraska you have to notify by law. So you should.

In WA, you shouldn't. There is no notification law, and if the officer interaction was not about your gun, why make it about your gun? It's never a good idea to give up your rights. An officer who treats two law abiding citizens different because of their attire should not be an officer.

8. I think part of the fuel for the anti-gun groups is the fact that so many "pro-gun" people treat the gun like it is something suspicious and warrants additional attention to be brought to the knowledge of LEO. My gun is no different than my cell phone. My cell phone is a tool I carry to facilitate communication. My gun is a tool I carry to facilitate self-defense. That's all, nothing more. I don't feel any need to inform a police officer about either tool just because I am given the opportunity.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I don't feel any need to inform a police officer about either tool just because I am given the opportunity.
    But more importantly do you inform the UPS guy for "officer safety"?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I think part of the fuel for the anti-gun groups is the fact that so many "pro-gun" people treat the gun like it is something suspicious and warrants additional attention to be brought to the knowledge of LEO. My gun is no different than my cell phone. My cell phone is a tool I carry to facilitate communication. My gun is a tool I carry to facilitate self-defense. That's all, nothing more. I don't feel any need to inform a police officer about either tool just because I am given the opportunity.
    The beauty of this is that you open carry so you automatically inform the police as well as everyone else.

If your state doesn't require it, why put yourself in a position to be harassed