Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 115
Page 115 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1169

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    More often than not the LEO knows if you have a permit or not before he gets out of the car
    Urban

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

NOPE! will only make things more complicated and besides he can check my records when he calls in.

Some of you guys are amazing, when a Leo zeros in on you on a normal traffic stop the very first thing they do is call ion your plate#, your name, address, DOB, ht, wt, eye color, hair color, and whatever else come up on his computor screen, also your DL# and most states have your CCW permit tied to your DL, if not the same #, there is notification on the license info about the CCW, the only LEO agencys that may not have this capability, probably still walk patrol beats, if you ask a cop if they can do this or not, its a crap shoot if you get a honest answer, but most can, the only instince where this may not apply is if your not driveing a vehical registered to you, so as I said all this happens most of the time before they get out of the car, and if not then, it will when he runs your info, if a LEO tell you they cannot do this they are lieing, maybe its a bit more difficult for some depending on how there system works, but they can find this out while sitting in there car,
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

First off, don't get pulled over. Meaning, don't give them a reason to. Second, If you're not required by law, don't. Third, keep your guns and papers separate.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCkilla View Post
    I open carry because the "element of surprise" is just a pipe dream.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    Some of you guys are amazing, when a Leo zeros in on you on a normal traffic stop the very first thing they do is call ion your plate#, your name, address, DOB, ht, wt, eye color, hair color, and whatever else come up on his computor screen, also your DL# and most states have your CCW permit tied to your DL, if not the same #, there is notification on the license info about the CCW, the only LEO agencys that may not have this capability, probably still walk patrol beats, if you ask a cop if they can do this or not, its a crap shoot if you get a honest answer, but most can, the only instince where this may not apply is if your not driveing a vehical registered to you, so as I said all this happens most of the time before they get out of the car, and if not then, it will when he runs your info, if a LEO tell you they cannot do this they are lieing, maybe its a bit more difficult for some depending on how there system works, but they can find this out while sitting in there car,
    Again, so what?

1. Officer has no idea who is driving the car.

2. Officer knows the registered owner has a CPL.... so what?!? Now he knows that IF the registered owner is driving the car, any firearm there is 99% going to be legally possessed and carried, so why even ask about it at that point?

3. Why should I tell the officer something, according to you, they already know?

We aren't arguing with you that the officer can obtain all that information ABOUT THE REGISTERED OWNER of the vehicle from the license plates. What we are trying to get across to you is the officer has no idea who is in the vehicle until he obtains ID from them and whether or not that stranger has a CPL until he finds out who they are!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

7. Quote Originally Posted by MyMrMarty View Post
    This seriously reduces the stress of a officer sitting in his patrol car first learning about it over the radio.
    I do not see why it would be anymore stressful as a leo to find out you are licensed to carry a firearm. a.) I think that should be as ordinary as them coming back on the radio saying you are registered to vote?? b.) I don't think it is any of their business. They should assume everyone is exercising their right... Sir I see you don't have a license to carry, do you have anything you need to tell me?? Any past drug or felony charges I should know about? Do you mind stepping out of the car with your hands where I can see them!!
    If an officer gets worked up when finding out I am legally exercising my rights, he needs to find a new profession.

I have had a license to carry for 25 or so years and I have never informed an officer that I have it. I have never had a problem.

8. If a LEO wants to know if I'm carrying a firearm, all he has to do is: ask.

Otherwise, I'm not going to try and read his mind or "set him at ease" or any other nonsense like that. Just like I won't tell him about the ham radio in my vehicle, or my tools, or my spare parts, cell phone, Becker Necker knife, pocket knife, Leatherman tool .... well, you get the idea.

If we as gun owners want to live in a country where firearms are seen in all kinds of activities in all kinds of environments and no one give a crap about it, just like cell phones, pocket knives etc. then we need to stop acting as if they are something special! They Are Not! They are tools, nothing more.

And no offense, but all you "I always inform" types come across as nothing more than little third graders, frantically waving your arms in class "Hey! Look at me, I'm Speshul!". Outside those states mandating notification, there is simply no good reason to inform a LEO during a normal traffic stop. One "Canton cop" incident totally wipes out 100 mythical "he let me go with a warning" BS that the speshul ones are so fond of telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    Some of you guys are amazing, when a Leo zeros in on you on a normal traffic stop the very first thing they do is call ion your plate#, your name, address, DOB, ht, wt, eye color, hair color, and whatever else come up on his computor screen, also your DL# and most states have your CCW permit tied to your DL, if not the same #, there is notification on the license info about the CCW, the only LEO agencys that may not have this capability, probably still walk patrol beats.
    NYS has no link between CCW permits and registration or drivers license. LEO do not know anything when they run a plate or DL#. There is also no statutory requirement to notify him if you are carrying (thank God).
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

10. And this thread was only 1 1/2 years old before it was raised from the dead. We can do better than that... Try for at least 3 years old next time!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    And this thread was only 1 1/2 years old before it was raised from the dead. We can do better than that... Try for at least 3 years old next time!

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.