Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 12
Page 12 of 117 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

If I'm carrying I would notify. Since it's not illegal in any state to have a laminated piece of paper on you, unless your armed, there's no need to tell a cop you have a CCW.

3. I have working closely with law enforcement for years. I specifically asked many officers this question. All but one said they would prefer to know in advance if you are legally armed. The one said he didn't care. Thier reasoning was they would be suspicious as what else you were hiding if you didn't tell them in advance. And if for some reason they searched you or your vehicle and found a gun, they would treat you like a criminal until the matter was resolved. It can be a touchy situation because not all cops know the concealed carry laws.

I was pulled over for a brake light that was out. Before the officer approached my car I had wallet in hand on top of the steering wheel. When he asked for drivers license etc.... I handed him my drivers license and CCW license first. He looked at it and asked were the gun was. I told him. He thanked me and asked that I keep both hands visible at all times. He didn't give me a ticket. He thanked me again for being up front and let me go.

In contrast, a freind was pulled over for speeding on his motorcycle. He gave the cop his drivers and CCW license. The cop asked were the gun was and what kind of gun. My freind was carrying a 44 magnum loaded with 44 special in a shoulder holster. The cop said "you can't carry a 44 magnum for CCW!".

While out plinking in a national forest area, we were confronted by forest service police. Not rangers but regular cops. Turned out we weren't supposed to be shooting there or carry concealed but we didn't know it. When the cop asked for ID I gave him my CCW license also. He asked were the gun was and told us to keep both hands visible. He thanked us and let us go.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    Thier reasoning was they would be suspicious as what else you were hiding if you didn't tell them in advance.

Why? If its legal then its not hiding it by not telling....should I also mention the half eaten apple or the empty juice bottle that rolled under the seat?

If i'm asked to step out of the vehicle and its on my hip, THEN i will mention it...otherwise....nothing to hide, nothing to tell.

5. Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Why? If its legal then its not hiding it by not telling....should I also mention the half eaten apple or the empty juice bottle that rolled under the seat?

If i'm asked to step out of the vehicle and its on my hip, THEN i will mention it...otherwise....nothing to hide, nothing to tell.
    Why? Hell I don't know ask a cop. Put yourself in their shoes instead of thinking about yourself.

Why would a cop care?

Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    Why? Hell I don't know ask a cop. Put yourself in their shoes instead of thinking about yourself.
    I try to. He's givnig a traffic ticket. Why would he care if I am licensed to carry a firearm?
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    I try to. He's giving a traffic ticket. Why would he care if I am licensed to carry a firearm?
    That's where I'm at. Just because I don't mention it does not mean that I am "hiding" it. It means that the firearm has absolutely nothing to do with the stop.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

+1

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post

If I'm asked to step out of the vehicle and its on my hip, THEN i will mention it...otherwise....nothing to hide, nothing to tell.
    That's exactly correct. In states that do NOT require you to inform LEO you're carrying CC, you're not hiding anything if they're not asking if you're armed. IF they ask, you tell them and then follow their instruction.

As a former LEO, IF the officer is searching your vehicle, you're already being 'treated like a criminal.' They either have probable cause (hopefully) OR you gave them consent (hopefully NOT), OR you've already been arrested.

If the stop is purely traffic related (speeding, moving violation etc), there's no need or point to making more out of this than what it is. You're likely going to get a ticket. If this violation happens in the bowels of a bad neighborhood, sure - you're more likely to receive 'extra attention.' But if the LEO does not ask - no way I'm telling - UNLESS I'm being asked to exit the vehicle. Then I'm telling them just to prevent surprises.

Some officers are simply anti-gun and others are scared to death of guns - even their own. Some still are experienced enough and versed enough to recognize the lawful rights of citizens to be armed, and THESE citizens are statistically NOT going to be your problem children.
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

i just give the LEO my ccw as well. never had a problem

I am a federal officer and I I live in New Jersey. It is a state requirement to notify a LEO you are carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by SLYAKINS View Post
    I am a federal officer and I I live in New Jersey. It is a state requirement to notify a LEO you are carrying.
    Can you site that statute? I dont remember seeing that in NJ Code...