Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 14
Page 14 of 117 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    Why would a LEO ask/order you to hand over your gun? I have never heard of this happening.

We have a lot of "license checks' here in NC. Both the County Deputies and the State Troopers do them, frequently in rural areas (like where i live). I have been stopped at license checks at least a half dozen times and always hand the officer my permit and license together. If I have a gun, I advise them as I hand them teh licensee/permit. I have never even been asked where the gun was, let alone been asked to produce it.

bill
    I don't know why the LEO would ask for the gun either but we've seen a number of stories here (and elsewhere) where they do that exact thing. They seem to think it's for the LEO safety which is nothing more than stupidity. Only law abiding reasonable people are going to even tell the cop they have a legal gun and it's not likely they are going to tell about an illegal gun.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    I don't know why the LEO would ask for the gun either but we've seen a number of stories here (and elsewhere) where they do that exact thing. They seem to think it's for the LEO safety which is nothing more than stupidity. Only law abiding reasonable people are going to even tell the cop they have a legal gun and it's not likely they are going to tell about an illegal gun.
    To further that point, it is highly unlikely that a law abiding person who would inform the officer about his firearm, would later intend to use it on the officer. At which point, the firearm is irrelevant to the situation in the first place, and I would argue, need not be mentioned.

(And the cycle continues...)
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    To further that point, it is highly unlikely that a law abiding person who would inform the officer about his firearm, would later intend to use it on the officer. At which point, the firearm is irrelevant to the situation in the first place, and I would argue, need not be mentioned.

;-)
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

I have not been stopped here in my home state of Missouri, but I would inform an officer of the fact I was carrying. I am in the alert system as a CCW holder so he already knows when he approaches my vehicle. Try to make the officer as comfortable as possible.
    I'm not sure how the third world war will be fought, but I do know how the fourth will....with rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post

Well, regardless of one's personal philosophy on this subject, it is NOT irrelevant here in NC. If you are a permit hoilder. its noted in both your DL database, and registration (license plate) database. And permit holders are required by law to inform any LEO that they are armed anytime they are stopped, or asked for identification.

As I have stated, my personal policy is to show my permit, even if I'm not carrying.

But to each his own.

bill

Texas requires you to show the permit with the drivers license ONLY IF you are carrying. Common courtesy is to show it with DL, carrying or not - CHL's here are tagged to DL's so they will find out soon enough anyway. I've never had a problem (state or local), most just tell me to leave it where it is and do their check; all have been professional.

8. Was just reading some articles on concealed carry and came across an article by Ayoob that suggests ALWAYS notify but in the correct manner. As I recall it was something like hand the D/L over with the CWP and say something to the effect that "Officer I am carrying at this time - how would you like to handle this?" If he suggests handing over the gun or putting it on the seat beside you while you are doing business it was suggested that you ask the office if you can step out of the car and have him remove the gun.

I don't know... sounds complicated to me.

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    Well, regardless of one's personal philosophy on this subject, it is NOT irrelevant here in NC. If you are a permit holder. its noted in both your DL database, and registration (license plate) database. And permit holders are required by law to inform any LEO that they are armed anytime they are stopped, or asked for identification.
    Very well, I didn't realize that I had to specify that any reason or rational that I give against notification is specific to states that do not require notification. It should go without saying that if you are in a state that requires it, then I would suggest you do so.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

10. Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Very well, I didn't realize that I had to specify that any reason or rational that I give against notification is specific to states that do not require notification. It should go without saying that if you are in a state that requires it, then I would suggest you do so.
    Oh yes definitely. New York doesn't require it but I would, out of courtesy, do it.

11. You're right

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    I think that mis characterizes the no's. I believe the officer and I are both safer if he keeps his hands off my gun. There are far too many police officers that are not widely familiar with the variety of guns that are out there. My gun is perfectly safe where ever I might be carrying it. It may not be if someone unfamiliar (or careless) attempts to unload it.

The fear expressed about the guns that a CCW holder might have is hysteria born of ignorance. It's not the CCW's gun that is a danger. It is the gang banger, the criminal, who can't legally touch a gun much less carry one concealed that is the danger..
    Yeah, it can't all be boiled down into one quote. I totally agree with you as well, which was the point i was trying to make. I don't want anybody handling my gun, except after i teach them and under my supervision. But more to the point, we the law-abiding are NOT the problem, and are NOT the ones that the LEOs need to be concerned about. However, due to the wierdness of modern society (mostly on the two coasts plus Chicago and Detroit), the felons carrying illegally are sort of accepted as an unpleasant fact - the kind where if you close your eyes maybe it isn't true - while those of us who choose to be empowered and carry legally are targeted (pun intended) by the people, by the media, by the elected officials, and by the LEO's. Why? Fear. Ignorance. Inculcated beliefs. Blind ignorance. all the things you said.

Once i wrote that my goals in a traffic stop are, in order: not getting shot by the LEO, not getting arrested, not getting hassled, and not getting ticketed. The first 3 are, in my mind, facilitated by notifying up front. I totally understand your feelings and reservations - and share them - but personally, i believe they are outweighed by my goals and my admittedly limited understanding of human nature.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson