Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 18
Page 18 of 117 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Thanks all for the thoughtful, constructive posts on this very important subject.

Ref Torontogunguy's post about going into other countries with firearms. He's right on. In 2002 my wife and I decided to take our small motorhome to Alaska for a month, driving cross country and entering Canada thru Coutts. I did research on the firearms laws beforehand thru the Canada Firearms Centre, easily accessed on the internet. I downloaded the Firearms form and had if filled out before I entered Canada. I also abided by their rules on NO handguns. I left them at home. But, since I was going to be fishing and camping in some out of the way places, I purchased a Mossberg .12 gauge pump shotgun to take with me, due to bears and other possible problems.

On the form it asks why you want to possess a weapon in Canada and I checked the box "Wildlife Protection." Upon entering Canada I had the form filled out and presented it to the first Canadian customs agent I met. After approx. 45 mins of background checking, more forms to fill out, and payment of $35 US back then, I received a copy of the paperwork with a stamp. Another Customs agent said he needed to check my weapon. He came into my RV where I had a lock on the shotgun, and ammo on the other side of the coach. He measured the barrel, (has to be at least 18") and not a semi-auto. He said "you don't need to keep it locked and unloaded when you travel and have a nice day." A very professional, courteous young agent.

Every time I went thru a checkpoint on the Canadian side, a few times in and out of Alaska/Yukon, etc I would present the permit, my passport, and DL immediately. The Customs Officers always were pleasant, looked at them and told me to have a safe trip. Obviously, after going thru the permit process, they thought I was not a threat. Other motorists were held up for searches, etc.

While in Alaska, there were 4 bear attacks, one in an area where I went fishing, Soldotna, two days after I was there. Carrying a firearm is recommended while fishing or wandering thru the back country.
    Elliot
    Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders...Support our Troops
    Retired LEO, HR 218 Qualified, Certified Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey guys: Isn't this really a no-brainer. You have been given a very serious responsibility that separates you from many of your fellow citizens. Arguments like "my state does not require" does not mean that "my state says I shouldn't". Be responsible and cooperate with the police in every way you can. Whether you are CC at the time or not, just give him the CCWP card. Don't make this into some kind of conspiracy by an out of control LEO.
    I also have a responsibility to ensure the freedoms that I and the rest of my fellow citizens currently enjoy. "Cooperating with the police in every way you can" can be legally disastrous, since anything you can can and most certainly will be used against you.

That being said, in states where it isn't legally required to inform an officer, the individual carrying a firearm should weigh the pros and cons for themselves and act accordingly. For me, my state doesn't require me to inform a cop that I have a weapon. In my local area, I may or may not inform depending on the situation. In Philadelphia, there is absolutely no way in hell I would ever inform, since Philly cops are well known to be anti-gun. It all goes along with situational awareness that we, as law-abiding citizens with firearms, should always keep in play.

The LEO may very well want to know up front if I have a weapon, but I also don't want to have the encounter with the LEO. If he is refusing me my courtesy to not have the encounter in the first place, I reserve the right to refuse him the courtesy of letting him know I'm carrying. I'm much more for individual freedoms for everyone than I am for "making nice".

But again, in the end, each and every one of us has to decide how to act / what to do in any situation. Just be safe, know your surroundings, and everything should work out alright.

P.S. I haven't been given a responsibility. I've taken it by exercising my absolute right. I've been given nothing.
    Last edited by rayven; 11-06-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Post-script

4. I agree with you, it's a respect thing. In Washington State , where I live, I have had them ask me if I have anything in my pu or on my person that they don't want to deal with, LOL.

5. Just remember that you may have the right to hunt bear and choose not to - but that doesn't mean the bear isn't going to bite you in the arse. I tend to give much leeway and courtesy to anything that has sharp teeth, even if I have the right not to.

I do not think it matters. I live in Georgia. I have had problems where police officers came to where I live and I told them I have a weapon. They understood perfectly. I made a report to a judge and he told me he also had a license to carry. The fact is why should you hide it. It takes you long enough to get it. If you do nothing wrong you should give the officer the benefit of knowing your position. I would not wave the weapon around like it was a toy. You recieved your license for a reason and being you are a civilian and want to recpect the law do what you feel is the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rock919 View Post
    I do not think it matters. I live in Georgia. I have had problems where police officers came to where I live and I told them I have a weapon. They understood perfectly. I made a report to a judge and he told me he also had a license to carry. The fact is why should you hide it. It takes you long enough to get it. If you do nothing wrong you should give the officer the benefit of knowing your position. I would not wave the weapon around like it was a toy. You recieved your license for a reason and being you are a civilian and want to recpect the law do what you feel is the right thing.
    That is how I feel. I hope this helps.

Hey rock919: I think if you polled this forum, there would be an overwhelming response in favor of informing the LEO of your CCWP, whether you have your weapon or not. IN SC, if you do have your CCW, you MUST inform. It's a shame that there is some distrust in our LEOs but it just seems prudent for anyone with a CCWP to attach it to their driver's license and submit together whenever there is a request for ID from an LEO. Hey--to each his own--at least we agree on this.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey rock919: I think if you polled this forum, there would be an overwhelming response in favor of informing the LEO of your CCWP, whether you have your weapon or not. IN SC, if you do have your CCW, you MUST inform. It's a shame that there is some distrust in our LEOs but it just seems prudent for anyone with a CCWP to attach it to their driver's license and submit together whenever there is a request for ID from an LEO. Hey--to each his own--at least we agree on this.
    It is much more than a common courtesy to inform, whether carrying or not. LEO's have a stress filled job as it stands and handing over your CWP along with your driver's license and ownership is simply stating "I hold you in high regard and want you to know that i have a permit to carry concealed". together with "I am not carrying nor do I have a weapon in the car at this time, etc." shows tremendous courtesy and respect AND more than anything else it is appreciated as a tension breaker these days. Very often it will buy you a warning or a friendly chat about the weather or whatever instead of a whopper infraction ticket.

I have never, ever had it go the other way, even when carrying and stopped (did not have to tell). "I am carrying and here is my permit and how would you like to handle it". And IF the LEO wants to see the gun ask HIM to remove it from your person or the glove box with due respect as you do not want any fumbles from nerves, right?

Just my two cents worth yet again. Handing over the CWP along with your other papers immediately tells the LEO that you have been input into the system and are a law abiding and upstanding citizen and reduces the tension. Ever wonder why you are approached from behind the centre post of the car? It's to help put something between you and any weapon that may be presented. And in a two many stop ever wonder why the other LEO approaches from the OTHER side and keeps that very same post or rear quarter panel between you and he/she? Same idea. That should really give you a hint as to the tension that is either natural or is taught.

A little respect and stress reduction can go a long way.

And a reminder. DO NOT carry where you are not supposed to. NOTHING will help you out of that situation. And when crossing a border you MUST declare firearms, ammunition, explosives and BANANAS.

I crossed into the states from Canada a year ago and presented my CWP with my US Passport and was waved through while the guy in front of me, who had been eating a banana had his car stripped and was made to dump everything into the garbage from his cooler (I assume.... cuz that's where he was sent). Remember, guns ok. Bananas NOT ok.

Hey torontogunguy: Those bananas can really kill you! I remember once when my in laws were coming back from vacation in Virgin Islands and my mother-in-law was asked about her luggage at customs and my father-in-law said something like "they are not really interested in your luggage dear". Guess what happened next?

11. Interesting responses. Please remember that if you are an outstanding citizen, firearm possession is a constitutional right and not a privilege.

An acquaintance announced he had a legal gun when getting pulled over for speeding in NH, he was asked to step out of the car an unload his firearm.

Some LEO's that over react to seeing a gun that one is 100% legal to carry, so if its a speeding ticket, etc. why open it to something else by stating you have a gun?? I realize that in some states this is a requirement, however, in states were it is not - nobody needs to know.

As to keeping a gun in the glove boxes - that is absolutely stupid and should be illegal in all states.

Page 18 of 117 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast