Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 19
Page 19 of 117 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
    As to keeping a gun in the glove boxes - that is absolutely stupid and should be illegal in all states.
    Now see, this is what I don't get...it is ok to have it on your person but in your glove box is bad? Personally, I love having my loaded Glock 23 in the center console. I keep all my registration and insurance information in the glove box so I keep within state law.

This is essentially one of the major challenges in our community. Some say that the 2d Amendment is our permit to carry, concealed or open, while others agree to the right to carry but with all sorts of rules and regulations. The only problem is that my problem is not your problem and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by osmosis View Post

As to keeping a gun in the glove boxes - that is absolutely stupid and should be illegal in all states.
    And why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by osmosis
    As to keeping a gun in the glove boxes - that is absolutely stupid and should be illegal in all states
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    And why is that?

Yes...do tell...where does that logic come from>

5. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey torontogunguy: Those bananas can really kill you! I remember once when my in laws were coming back from vacation in Virgin Islands and my mother-in-law was asked about her luggage at customs and my father-in-law said something like "they are not really interested in your luggage dear". Guess what happened next?
    If you want to hear an even more hilarious story I should post the one about my uncle who owned a deli in Atlantic City and brought a 6" diameter x 4 foot salami into Canada at Toronto International Airport in his suitcase. The dogs went absolutely nutso and they figured it was a bomb so off they drag him to detention only to discover this huge Hebrew National salami from his deli.... "sorry sir, you can't bring that into the country", much discussion follows. NO WAY! Not allowing a salami into THIS country! Whereupon my uncle pulls out his machete sized folding knife and starts whacking the salami into hunks and handing it out to all the airport staff including the dogs. They ate the whole damn thing.

And my uncle roamed the city followed by a pack of dogs the whole weekend (aaaaah. The aroma of garlic salami).

Hilarious and I still can't believe it. So salami's are not a good thing either. Guns ok. Knives ok. No bananas and definitely no salami!! (Although they did invite him back asap with another and a loaf of rye bread next time).

Hey torontogunguy: About your uncle's story and the salami, you have to be careful how you react in any situation with any kind of LEO. Sarcasm, etc can really get you in trouble--you just stay humble, law abiding, respectful, and respond truthfully to anything and everything. There is a thread in this forum on LEOs and there are some out there who should NOT be out there, particularly if you have a CCW.

7. Its simple, keep it away from the registration. The worst thing to happen is you open the area were you keep the registration and a gun pops up. Time to get your As% kicked.....

8. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey torontogunguy: About your uncle's story and the salami, you have to be careful how you react in any situation with any kind of LEO. Sarcasm, etc can really get you in trouble--you just stay humble, law abiding, respectful, and respond truthfully to anything and everything. There is a thread in this forum on LEOs and there are some out there who should NOT be out there, particularly if you have a CCW.
    Humble and courteous (not just in manner) are definitely the bywords to live by when dealing with LEO's and as I have said so many times in past - they have an already stressful job to do and if there is ANYTHING that you can do to reduce the level of stress during an encounter it will be appreciated, I can assure you. And it doesn't matter who the LEO is... the young ones have heard the stories at the academy and the older ones have lived them. These days especially, all are wary, especially in locations that you may not know yourself to be 'high risk' locations, which is, after all, one of the main reasons that I myself carry concealed whenever and wherever legal. It is especially those high risk locations - but having been poked in the nose at the home of Mickey Mouse (Orlando) one suddenly has an epiphany and realizes that EVERYWHERE is a high risk location - be situationally aware at all times.

Your point is well taken, and Uncle B. was fortunate that in those years the guys at the airport loved good salami. Nowadays, of course, the dogs are much better trained and will not attack a salami unless it is thinly sliced on rye bread with a hint of mustard. Sic. Go figure.

9. This was the first time I got pulled over carrying. When I got pulled over the cop over the loud speaker told me to shut off my vehicle and drop the keys out the window, keep my hands in plain sight as I exited the vehicle, walk to the front and put my hands on the hood. It's Sunday morning around 8am I know I didn't run any lights and I wasn't speeding even though I had just turned onto the highway access ramp. So I'm thinking something really wrong, I complied a 1000 percent. When I looked back from my position on the hood, he was approaching me with holster unsnapped and pistol partially draw up. When he got to about my front door, I let him know that I was carrying a loaded .380 pistol with a round in the chamber and it's was in my ankle holster on my left ankle and I have perrnit for it. He told me to remove the clip, place it on the hood of the car then, remove the pistol and clear it, place it on the hood of the car. In the intermin his backup showed up, I produced my permit and license as requested, then I inquired as to why I was being pulled over. It seems there had just been an armed robbery and the preliminary description was a green car. You got it I was driving a green car. After verifing that the make, model, and serial number all matched my permit and we were discussing where I had been that morning an update came across that they were looking for 2 individuals whose descriptions, neither of them I matched and the car had a white hood. Thank GOD my car was all green, green, green. We talked alittle more and he wrote in his pad, returned my license and permit, told me I could go. I reloaded my pistol, secured it in my ankle holster, I got in my car and proceeded to get onto the highway as they backed up to the roadway and drove off. It had ended almost as quikly as it started. No one the worse for any wear.

10. This was the advice from another CCW and former LEO.As a former LEO, pull over when you know he's got you - Do not make him follow you. If you pull over right away, he will be more relaxed thinking you know he has you and you will comply.
    When stopped and armed take your keys out of the ignition and place them on the dashboard. Turn your dome light on, lower your window and place your hands at the 12 O'Clock position on the steering wheel. When approached, inform the officer you are armed with a sidearm. Never use the word Gun - this might cause the Rookie that is riding with him, who should be on the passenger side who you did not notice, to go to panic mode. Inform the officer where the firearm is on your person and where your permit is, telling him he is in complete control and to tell you what he wants you to do next. Let him know he is the one who is in charge and you do not want to do anything that might make him uneasy.
    I assure you, if you are polite and heed this advice 95% of the time you won't get that speeding ticket.

11. Listen when a PO tells you to shut your engine off and drop the keys out the window over the loudspeaker, this is NOT a normal traffic stop. Being a former MP and CHA in Georgia this was a technique that we were taught to prevent an armed and dangerous suspect from fleeing in vehicle. Now as driver of Haz Mat. It became part of my dress, in the AM getting dressed I put my AMT 380 on my left ankle and literally forgot about it, take the previous days reciepts and deposit them at the bank and continue business. I've been thru dozen of State, County DOT safety checks on the LIE, Freeport, Plainview, Toll plazas never even though to mentioned I was carrying. Sort of the same thought you put into thinking about your driver license in your wallet, you know it there and can get if you need to, and you don't give anymore thought. It was there to preserve my life if it came to that, if someone held me up, I'd give them the cash, even with the signs on the door that says "driver carrys no cash". I had insurance to cover theft with a $500. deductible.
    I have a non residents Pa. if I was carrying legally in someone else state or even mine outside of work I would let the LEO know, New York is a complicated patchwork mess off CCL, because of business carry I'm not as restricted as others in my county are or even NYC where they flat out deny you a CCL. What is legal in on county may not be so in another, if you are fortuneate enough to get and unrestricted carry then you can cross county lines without worries. Maybe one day it will change. Food for thought

Page 19 of 117 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast