Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 20
Page 20 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
    Its simple, keep it away from the registration. The worst thing to happen is you open the area were you keep the registration and a gun pops up. Time to get your As% kicked.....
    Oh, OK, I see your reasoning, here...

I carry my license, registration, etc. on a clip on the visor specifically so that I don't have to open anything in the truck. This also basically keeps my hands in plain sight at about 12 o'clock even while I am retrieving the paperwork.

While my weapon is generally on my body, I do sometimes have one in the console.

3. I can't believe this thread is still going.

One of the things i was most surprised by, and like the most, about the CCW club is that so many of you are constantly thinking about preparations. Preparations for a traffic stop, for a mangy dude in a parking lot, for a home invasion, training the family for the SHTF plan, even just subtle discussions with a wife or a neighbor who doesn't "get it" yet; all of these further our cause by making us more likely to react properly when the time comes. Hope it never does, but if it does, all this mental prep will definitely pay off. Oh, and shooting silhouettes a lot (cheaperthandirt.com sells great big ones i can hit even at 25 yards in failing dayllight) doesn't hurt my state of readiness either!

Regardless of your position on this thread, and good points are made on both sides, it's the thinking and the knowing what you'll do when the time comes, that really matters. IMHO.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Hey Daugherty16: I have posted many times on this forum and have echoed your comments many times. Your latest paragraph discussion is absolutely perfect and right on. For those who do have questions about the validity/intelligence of the posts, please read this Daugherty16 post and appreciate where most of us are coming from.

Thumbs up

Yeah, what Kelcarry said.
    Preserve the 2nd amendment and firearms, THE NRA NEEDS YOU NOW!
    May the happiest day of your past, be the saddest day or your future.
    Today is the very first day of the rest of your life!

In Virginia we are not required to inform law enforcement if carrying with concealed handgun permit. They know when they run plates or drivers license info. However, it would still be a good idea to inform them. "I have a concealed carry permit, am carrying concealed. Wanted to let you know before I reach for my wallet" or something similar might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Oh, OK, I see your reasoning, here...

I carry my license, registration, etc. on a clip on the visor specifically so that I don't have to open anything in the truck. This also basically keeps my hands in plain sight at about 12 o'clock even while I am retrieving the paperwork.

While my weapon is generally on my body, I do sometimes have one in the console.

While I do the same sometimes, I drive different vehicles too, so it might be in my wallet instead.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    I was pulled over one night in KY. My TN permit is valid in KY. My tail lights were out because of a bad fuse. I rolled down my window and he told me right away that my tail lights were out and then asked for my DL. I hand him my DL and CCW at the same time. He asked where my the weapon was and I told him in my right pocket (P3AT). He said just keep it there and returned to his car I'm guessing to run my DL and CCW. He returned a few minutes later, handed me my DL/CCW, thanks me for telling him I had a weapon and assisted me with replacing the fuse. I guess it was a slow night. All in all a positive encounter.

THAT is a good way to handle it, keeps problems to a minimum. I keep them both together anyway, so.....

9. Quote Originally Posted by Daugherty16 View Post
    I can't believe this thread is still going.

One of the things i was most surprised by, and like the most, about the CCW club is that so many of you are constantly thinking about preparations. Preparations for a traffic stop, for a mangy dude in a parking lot, for a home invasion, training the family for the SHTF plan, even just subtle discussions with a wife or a neighbor who doesn't "get it" yet; all of these further our cause by making us more likely to react properly when the time comes. Hope it never does, but if it does, all this mental prep will definitely pay off. Oh, and shooting silhouettes a lot (cheaperthandirt.com sells great big ones i can hit even at 25 yards in failing dayllight) doesn't hurt my state of readiness either!

Regardless of your position on this thread, and good points are made on both sides, it's the thinking and the knowing what you'll do when the time comes, that really matters. IMHO.
    I know where you are coming from with regards to eyesight... my 16 year old son and his beat up Anshutz 64 can punch 1.5" groups with iron sights at 100M. I can't even see the paper.

Seriously, you are on the money with regard to preparation. If you have to be thinking about what action you are going to take when s&&t happens you are in very serious trouble. Simply having a firearm tucked into your pocket does not cut it. Physical and mental preperation are ultra important. You need to know when you are legal and forced to shoot and you need to be practicing same. All is not black and white out there... but if you are prepared in advance you have a leg up on the bad guy who is intent on killing you regardless (and there are plenty of those these days it would seem).

The LEO that stops you also knows this and knows that a licensed concealed firearm carrier is NOT very likelyy to be a bad guy; hence the LEO's stress level drops from condition orange to condition yellow or green in a blink when he discovers you have a permit (carrying or not).

Jeez, doesn't anyone watch COPS any more?

10. My cousin Jo Ann was on an eposide in Seattle Washington years ago, riding with a camera crew. That in it self is another story.

I have asked that question to a variety of officers here in Indiana (not required to notify) and most said as long as you are calm and keep your hands in sight they didn't care on a routine stop, but if they ask you to get out of the car you should tell them. That being said, on the one occasion I was stopped I did inform the officer and all he asked was if I had my permit with me. He didn't even ask to see it.
    Armed you are a citizen, unarmed a subject.
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Fear the government who fears you guns.

Page 20 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast