Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 26
Page 26 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Well, I don't know about where you come from Torontogunguy, but, in most places, traffic stops occur for various reasons, not just "following domestic dispute calls" as you said. I agree with most every thing else you said. Always better to be "safe than sorry". Present your permit with DL and vehicle registration papers, you should be good to go.
    Last edited by SteveB; 12-08-2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: "registration" had some kind of link to it.

I don't know why "registration" was in green in my last post. It brings up some kind of link when I hover over it. That was NOT my doing. I am going to try to change it. Ok, change worked, never mind
    Last edited by SteveB; 12-08-2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: change worked

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I don't know why "registration" was in green in my last post. It brings up some kind of link when I hover over it. That was NOT my doing. I am going to try to change it. Ok, change worked, never mind
    That is most likely adware on your computer. I've had it happen, not exclusively on this site. Run an adware removal program and you shouldn't see it again.

BTW, what TGG was saying was that the likelihood that an LEO encounters a wacko with a gun during a traffic stop is second only to the likelihood that he would encounter the same while answering a domestic dispute call.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Well, I don't know about where you come from Torontogunguy, but, in most places, traffic stops occur for various reasons, not just "following domestic dispute calls" as you said. I agree with most every thing else you said. Always better to be "safe than sorry". Present your permit with DL and vehicle registration papers, you should be good to go.
    I believe he meant that in order of when it is most likely that a cop will have to deal with a weapon:

1. domestic dispute calls
    2. traffic stops.

6. Quote Originally Posted by bbarton713 View Post
    I believe he meant that in order of when it is most likely that a cop will have to deal with a weapon:

1. domestic dispute calls
    2. traffic stops.
    Yes, thank you. Although not necessarily #1 and #2 on the list depending on where you are. In some areas it is 'druggies alley' at the top of the list, but for the mundane towns I think the above is closer to correct. Any LEO's on here care to comment on their experiences?

(Keeping in mind that a "shots fired" call is going to be a little higher on the list)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Why do states do this? 99 out of 100 carry license holders are law-abiding people. Why do the states feel its necessary to link DMV and carry license info to warn the officer?
    As utimmer43 said, condition of getting an RTC law passed. The states have been coming up with all sorts of "curious and interesting" provisions in their RTC laws in recent years.

- Must notify an officer
    - Can't carry in a state park
    - Can't carry in a bank
    - Can't carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol (so I can't carry when I take my kids to Applebees for burgers, fries and cokes?)
    - Must be 23 (in Missouri)
    - Must be 25 (law when RTC first passed in New Mexico)
    - Must complete state approved training curriculum (so all my training at the Firearms Academy of Seattle, Lethal Force Institute, and a class taught by the late Jim Cirillo don't count?)
    - The list of licensees shall be available for publication in newspapers, including one's home address

Here in Washington, as is the case in most of the other "Old Wave" (pre Florida RTC) states, we don't have to put up with this sort of B.S.

If any of the remaining May Issue states ever goes Shall Issue, I have expect one of them will demand that an applicant submit to 8 hours of psychiatric testing annually as a condition of renewal.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

I went through a road block a while back, and was carrying on my hip, but covered by a jacket. My wallet was on the same side, back pocket. When the officer came to my window, he asked for my license. I told him I had a firearm on me, and had to reach behind it to get to my wallet. I asked how he wanted me to do it. He said to lean to the side enough, and go slow. I went slow enough that I almost fell asleep!! I took my dl and my permit out and gave him both at the same time. He looked at each of them, handed them back, thanked me for informing him, and I went on my way. I think that I would do it as a precaution. I can't think of any LEO's that like surprises like seeing a gun hidden on someone...

Quote Originally Posted by Ga9mm View Post
    I went through a road block a while back, and was carrying on my hip, but covered by a jacket. My wallet was on the same side, back pocket. When the officer came to my window, he asked for my license. I told him I had a firearm on me, and had to reach behind it to get to my wallet. I asked how he wanted me to do it. He said to lean to the side enough, and go slow. I went slow enough that I almost fell asleep!! I took my dl and my permit out and gave him both at the same time. He looked at each of them, handed them back, thanked me for informing him, and I went on my way. I think that I would do it as a precaution. I can't think of any LEO's that like surprises like seeing a gun hidden on someone...
    OK, here is where I believe common sense dictated that you inform the officer, and if I were in the same situation I would have handled it similarly. However, I do not keep my wallet in my pocket. I keep it in the cupholder on the center console. My DL, registration, and insurance card are all in my wallet. If I am stopped, I have those documents in my hand before my car even comes to a complete stop. If I am requested to do something that I believe will make my firearm visible,(like get out of the car) then sure I will inform ahead of time. But not for a simple "license, registration, and insurance card please."

Bottom line for me is use common sense.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    OK, here is where I believe common sense dictated that you inform the officer, and if I were in the same situation I would have handled it similarly. However, I do not keep my wallet in my pocket. I keep it in the cupholder on the center console. My DL, registration, and insurance card are all in my wallet. If I am stopped, I have those documents in my hand before my car even comes to a complete stop. If I am requested to do something that I believe will make my firearm visible,(like get out of the car) then sure I will inform ahead of time. But not for a simple "license, registration, and insurance card please."

Bottom line for me is use common sense.
    I agree that this was handled appropriately given the circumstances. I keep my registration, insurance card, etc. on a clip on my driver's side visor. This way NOTHING gets opened in the truck (console, glove, etc.) and my hands stay at around 12 o'clock at all times. Then, I choose whether to inform or not (we're not required to) depending on the situation (late at nite - inform, keep LEO comfortable, LEO's a ****, no inform).

Just me.

I did that because I was pretty sure that when I took off my seatbelt, leaned over a little bit to get to my wallet, he would have seen it, had he been looking. I turned on the inside lights as I pulled up, and he had a light, so I didn't want to take any chances. If I had it in my back, he would have never known.

Page 26 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast