Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 33
Page 33 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

1. Do just as you stated. Hand him your CCW permit along with your D.L. and insurance.

In MO, I don't believe that by running your plates, your CCW will show. Your CCW is on your ID card (if that is the way you went) and the number is the same as your DL so when he runs your DL he will know. Your license plates are not linked to your DL, or what if you are driving wife's car that is registered in her name? MO may be a 'not needed to notify' state, but for me, I will do as you have indicated and I will notify as a courtesy to LEO's doing a tough job. They never know what they are walking into. You are a law abiding citizen, why give LEO's any reason at all to hassle. Last thing I want to see is the LEO approaching my car with weapon drawn.

I have been stopped on 3 occasions since I started carrying in 2001 and presented my permit on 2 of those occasions. All 3 incidents resulted in warnings and no citations and all 3 were speeding related. My issuing authority does not require me to inform LEO that I am in possession of a firearm but my feeling is on most occasions it would be proper to inform. On the two times I did inform we ended up having a good short conversation regarding my carry weapon and both LEOs had never seen a CCW before.

The one occasion I did not inform was in Nevada and shortly after I had begun to carry. I was unsure of the proper or best way to inform so I let it go. When I do inform a LEO I hand the permit over with my DL and ask how to proceed, on both stops I was asked where it was and told to just leave where it was (I carry OWB @ 4:30-5:00 o'clock. I am unsure if being a CCW holder has helped with not being cited on the 2 stops but my experiences have been positive and comfortable both times.

spc - I've read many many reasons why CCW holders feel compelled to voluntarily advise a LEO that a weapon exists in the vehicle during traffic stops. Not one reason has convinced me that it's a good idea. 1. you have no desire to do anything illegal or harmful to the LEO 2. you've been pulled over for traffic issue, not a gun issue 3. it's your God-given right to carry even though you have to jump through your state's hoops to get legal. Don't take this the wrong way but the compullsion to volunteer one's carry status seems to stem from guilt. If enough CCW folks walk around wanting to spill their guts to LEOs unnecessarily then they probably WILL make it mandatory to reveal this info in the other 46 states - 2 states make it mandatory now (I think) and Wisconsin & Illinois don't count since the CCW doesn't exist for regular folks (I think). I read a month ago an LEO's response to this topic and his opinion was that he did not want to know a legal CCW holder's gun status because it complicated what would be a simple traffic stop. Have a good day.

6. Inform the Officer or Not?

When I was in Arizona, you were required tro inform any police officer you had contact with that you were armed with a permit. You could be arrested and lose your CCW permit if you failed. This proved to really be awkward at times. One thing you do NOT do is blurt out "I have a gun." That might get you proned out, and Arizona asphalt gets darned hot. Now I have a CPL in Washington state, and they tell me I do not have to advise an officer, but that it is nice if you do. I recently discovered that here, your CPL is tied to your Driver's License, and through it to your vehicle registration. If a cop runs your plate, he already knows you have a license and may be armed. Someone told me, I don't know whether it is true or not, that your records are linked to firearms prcuahse records, so the officer knows what you may be carrying and where you bought it. Sounds a bit Big Brotherish to me, but , as they say, truth is stranger than fiction.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

7. Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    spc - I've read many many reasons why CCW holders feel compelled to voluntarily advise a LEO that a weapon exists in the vehicle during traffic stops. Not one reason has convinced me that it's a good idea. 1. you have no desire to do anything illegal or harmful to the LEO 2. you've been pulled over for traffic issue, not a gun issue 3. it's your God-given right to carry even though you have to jump through your state's hoops to get legal.
    +1 ABSOLUTELY! When the blue lights come on behind me, I immediately turn on a turn signal or hazard lights to let the officer know I have seen them. Then I try to find a safe place for the officer to pull over into - a driveway or side street. Then I immediately roll my window all the way down and have my hand out the window with my driver's license and military ID card (required to validate my out-of-state driver's license). If that isn't enough to put the officer at ease that I mean him/her no harm, then letting him/her know that I am LEGALLY carrying a firearm certainly isn't going to help any.

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    Now I have a CPL in Washington state, and they tell me I do not have to advise an officer, but that it is nice if you do. I recently discovered that here, your CPL is tied to your Driver's License, and through it to your vehicle registration. If a cop runs your plate, he already knows you have a license and may be armed. Someone told me, I don't know whether it is true or not, that your records are linked to firearms prcuahse records, so the officer knows what you may be carrying and where you bought it. Sounds a bit Big Brotherish to me, but , as they say, truth is stranger than fiction.
    Personally, I don't think informing the officer of my firearms status has anything at all with being nice or not. I am usually in legal possession of a cell phone. Is it "not nice" to not tell them that? Legal possession and carrying of a firearm is absolutely no different than the legal possession and carrying of a cell phone. If CPL status is returned with DL info (and in Washington State if you possess both a WA CPL and a WA DL it more than likely is), wouldn't that information cause the officer to be LESS concerned about the possibility of a firearm rather than MORE concerned?

RCW 9.41.129
    Recordkeeping requirements.

The department of licensing may keep copies or records of applications for concealed pistol licenses provided for in RCW 9.41.070, copies or records of applications for alien firearm licenses, copies or records of applications to purchase pistols provided for in RCW 9.41.090, and copies or records of pistol transfers provided for in RCW 9.41.110. The copies and records shall not be disclosed except as provided in RCW 42.56.240(4).
    The Washington Department of Licensing is a very big brother and does maintain a database of all CPLs linked to Driver's Licenses AND pistol purchases made from FFLs in the State of Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Pele View Post
    Suppose you're out for a drive and you've got a tail light out... Or you're doing a bit above the speed limit and you just had a nice set of headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers put on your car...

Regardless, you're now on the side of the road with a blue light special behind you.

Officer comes to the door and asks for your license and registration... Do you inform him that you are in possession of a concealed handgun or not?

Does the matter that it's the sherrif, a local county officer, or a state trooper change your option?

I think the DMV here flags your plates when you get a CCW. I've always thought it's a good idea to inform.

"Officer, I understand you go through a lot of risk in your line of duty, I would like to minimize this risk and inform you that I am in possession of a Concealed Weapon permit and I do have the weapon on my person (or in the car) The weapon is on my left hip (or next to the emergency brake handle in the center console). My license and registration are in my left front pocket. How would you like to proceed?"
    Actually, it is part of the above. Some local LEOs may think it their responsibility, but it actually resorts to your state laws. For instance, In Georgia it is not necessary but if the weapon(s) are concealed you better have a GFL or one that the state you are in will honor. Why ask for huge discussion?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Pele View Post
    "Officer, I understand you go through a lot of risk in your line of duty, I would like to minimize this risk and inform you that I am in possession of a Concealed Weapon permit and I do have the weapon on my person (or in the car)"
    Interesting. Not sure how telling an officer you have a gun and a permit is supposed to minimize his risk. Seems to me like that does nothing to minimize the risk to officer, who was in none to begin with, assuming you are a law abiding citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Interesting. Not sure how telling an officer you have a gun and a permit is supposed to minimize his risk. Seems to me like that does nothing to minimize the risk to officer, who was in none to begin with, assuming you are a law abiding citizen.
    Yes...you'd think the mere mention of a firearm would put LEO more on edge...cuz now he KNOWS there is one. Not saying anything at all....makes it a "routine" stop...

11. Here in Ohio when LEo runs your plates your CCL shows up on it. It's required to notify even though he probably already knows when he/she approaches.
    Walk softly and carry a Smith & Wesson M&P .40...

Page 33 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast