Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 34
Page 34 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Pele View Post
    Suppose you're out for a drive and you've got a tail light out... Or you're doing a bit above the speed limit and you just had a nice set of headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers put on your car...

Regardless, you're now on the side of the road with a blue light special behind you.

Officer comes to the door and asks for your license and registration... Do you inform him that you are in possession of a concealed handgun or not?

Does the matter that it's the sherrif, a local county officer, or a state trooper change your option?

I think the DMV here flags your plates when you get a CCW. I've always thought it's a good idea to inform.

"Officer, I understand you go through a lot of risk in your line of duty, I would like to minimize this risk and inform you that I am in possession of a Concealed Weapon permit and I do have the weapon on my person (or in the car) The weapon is on my left hip (or next to the emergency brake handle in the center console). My license and registration are in my left front pocket. How would you like to proceed?"
    I hand the officer my carry permit along with my drivers license.

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    It depends on where you are. Some states require notification, some do not. That's the first determiner.

I live in Kalifornia (notification not required). Gun's are not PC. Most cops I'm sure would be OK with a CCW but some will not be. I would never notify in Los Angeles. The Cops have an average time in the job of less than 5 years. The Chief hates citizens having guns. If I were in one of the counties known to be gun friendly I might notify but not to a young cop. I've heard too many stories on cops who want to take possession of the gun, unload it, and who have no familiarity with guns other than the one they carry.
    Most of you all are pretty close about what to do, and again to repeat check your state of residence, and the states you may pass through. For instance, I live in GA and liberal as it is, they still only recommend that you do not advise that you are carrying and if the LEO asks for your GFL, you must supply that and only what the LEO requests. In other simple words, don't make it any more difficult and don't tie up a working LEO.

4. Quote Originally Posted by hangman View Post
    Most of you all are pretty close about what to do, and again to repeat check your state of residence, and the states you may pass through. For instance, I live in GA and liberal as it is, they still only recommend that you do not advise that you are carrying and if the LEO asks for your GFL, you must supply that and only what the LEO requests. In other simple words, don't make it any more difficult and don't tie up a working LEO.
    Ga. LEO will ask if they have need for concern... otherwise I would not provide more then what they ask for.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Does it show up when they run your plates?
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

6. Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    Very good question...never thought about that...Any LEO's here know?
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

7. Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    Depends upon the state, and in many cases how the local LEA's within that state have their computer software set up.

My wife just took her training class yesterday (Missouri) and it was taught by a local LEO. Although MO is not a 'must notifly' state, most LEO's appreciate it when notified up front. He also noted, may make it easier if you were only 'slightly' over the speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I don't think informing the officer of my firearms status has anything at all with being nice or not.
    The Washington Department of Licensing is a very big brother and does maintain a database of all CPLs linked to Driver's Licenses AND pistol purchases made from FFLs in the State of Washington.
    DOL does main a firearms database (which includes CPLs), driver's license database, etc. but it is a separate database and a separate section of the department. An officer needs to make two requests--one for the DL info and one CPL info.

I worked on contract at DOL, and they were very strict about adhering to RCW 42.56.240. In the course of my work there, I had access to the Driver's License database, but I couldn't get anywhere close to the firearms database, record layouts, data, or even access to the floor where the Firearms Section sat.

During a traffic stop, I exercise DADT. If I'm asked a direct question, then I answer honestly. However, I do not volunteer that I'm carrying unless I think the officer is about to find out.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    I'm not an LEO, but recently completed the CC course in NC. Here your CHP number is the same as your DL #. When an LEO checks your DL, a red line appears down the side of the screen on their CAD/laptop.

11. Quote Originally Posted by kengrubb View Post
    DOL does main a firearms database (which includes CPLs), driver's license database, etc. but it is a separate database and a separate section of the department. An officer needs to make two requests--one for the DL info and one CPL info.
    HOWEVER, Law Enforcement Agencies in the state of Washington can and have programmed their computers to automatically initiate BOTH queries anytime driver's license information is requested. OR, at a minimum, have policies that cause their operators to make BOTH queries anytime the DL information is requested.

During a traffic stop, I exercise DADT. If I'm asked a direct question, then I answer honestly. However, I do not volunteer that I'm carrying unless I think the officer is about to find out.
    I don't even offer the information then (referring to the bold part above). But, I open carry. So, if he asks me to step out of the vehicle, he will see the gun in my holster on my belt. My lawfully carried gun is no different than anything else lawfully carried, such as a cell phone. I don't feel the need to verbally announce the presence of either my cell phone or my gun. It hasn't been a problem for me yet, even with my chronic medical problem of a lead foot!

Notice what RCW 42.56.240 says:

(4) License applications under RCW 9.41.070; copies of license applications or information on the applications may be released to law enforcement or corrections agencies;

RCW 42.56.240 places no restrictions upon WHY a law enforcement agency may request the info. It only states that the DOL may release CPL info to law enforcement agencies.

Page 34 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast