Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 35
Page 35 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Law Enforcement Agencies in the state of Washington can and have programmed their computers to automatically initiate BOTH queries anytime driver's license information is requested. OR, at a minimum, have policies that cause their operators to make BOTH queries anytime the DL information is requested.
    I have heard rumors of this, but folks with an in at some LEAs have made inquiries. Other than King County, no one has found another agency. I'm sure there are probably a few others, but cops know it's a non-issue so it's mostly a waste of time. Even if it were cross linked and always automatically returned, I say so what. If they want to ask me a direct question, fine.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Quote Originally Posted by jlamb View Post
    I'm not an LEO, but recently completed the CC course in NC. Here your CHP number is the same as your DL #. When an LEO checks your DL, a red line appears down the side of the screen on their CAD/laptop.
    And it is also tied to vehicle registration, so your carry permit also shows up if they run you license plate.

4. What should you do if you are in a state that requires you to notify the traffic officer and you are a passenger with a concealed weapon? Are you required as a passenger to inform the LEO??
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    What should you do if you are in a state that requires you to notify the traffic officer and you are a passenger with a concealed weapon? Are you required as a passenger to inform the LEO??
    You would need to read the law of the particular state. OH requires driver and occupants to notify...NC only requires if you are addressed directly.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    You would need to read the law of the particular state. OH requires driver and occupants to notify...NC only requires if you are addressed directly.
    That's not entirely correct for NC. Quote from 14‑415.11:

Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.

The key phrase in the bold being approached or addressed. If you're in a vehicle being approached by the officer, that includes any other occupants in addition to the driver.

In VA you are not required to tell, but if I am stopped, I will give the officer the CCW, DL, & registration. They will run the DL and know if you are a CCW holder anyway, so it is best to let them know right off.

handgonnetoter Guest
    There are 10 states, by law, that you have to inform the LEO you are permitted and carrying if you get pulled over.

Quote Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
    I think you've painted a pretty good picture as to why you were being searched in the first place AND most likely why you dont hold a license to carry as a result.
    I think that this was quite unfair to say to Constitution. Sure he likes to speed, he admits it and he said that he was only searched ONCE. Do you really have to bash him for that? I would think that with his cooperative attitude with a LEO, he WOULD still have a CCW, not the other way around. Wat was the point of your post?

Quote Originally Posted by davisway View Post
    I think that this was quite unfair to say to Constitution. Sure he likes to speed, he admits it and he said that he was only searched ONCE. Do you really have to bash him for that? I would think that with his cooperative attitude with a LEO, he WOULD still have a CCW, not the other way around. Wat was the point of your post?

I agree! That was wrong to bash him.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Wish I understood how this thread keeps going. If you are out and about and are CC or with people who are CC all of you have accepted a responsibility that goes a great deal farther than your fellow citizens--you can kill someone with a concealed firearm if they pose an imminent danger--if that is not a good enough reason for you to inform an LEO and you want to stand behind the 2A and more of your "constitutional rights" have at it and enjoy. I will have been on my way a long time ago and satisfied that I put an LEO at ease. I can tell you that if I were an LEO and you fed me some of your 2A, I would make sure the my superior officer was present to ensure your 2A protection and if that takes a 1/2 hour so be it. If your state says so, you do it period/end of story---if your passenger is CC you would think common sense and most likely the law on the driver pertains to anyone in the car--the LEO wants to go home at night and anything that can disturb that thought is not a good idea and IMO is irresponsible.

Page 35 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast