Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 37
Page 37 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

1. Required here in AK. Been stopped once & LEO didn't know how to handle 1911 cocked & locked. Had to carefully explain where & how to pop mag out (he sent it to the asphalt of course). When he was done running everything I got a 10 min lecture on 'safety'. He handed back my weapon, mag & loose bullets. When he was done jackin his jibs I popped in the spare mag, racked one, put on the safety put it away, said thank you and drove off.

Thumbs down Lectures from LEOs

Quote Originally Posted by DeWoody View Post
    Required here in AK. Been stopped once & LEO didn't know how to handle 1911 cocked & locked. Had to carefully explain where & how to pop mag out (he sent it to the asphalt of course). When he was done running everything I got a 10 min lecture on 'safety'. He handed back my weapon, mag & loose bullets. When he was done jackin his jibs I popped in the spare mag, racked one, put on the safety put it away, said thank you and drove off.
    I've gotten a 10 min lecture on how a particular SC LEO thought that it was unfair that he had to pay an extra $5 for his duty belt because it was a size larger than 48 inches.

I whole heartedly agree snowman. what does it garner by NOT telling an LEO that your carrying

5. Quote Originally Posted by tbone1964 View Post
    I whole heartedly agree snowman. what does it garner by NOT telling an LEO that your carrying
    "NOT telling an LEO that your carrying" lessens the chance that the officer is going to ask you to exit the vehicle, disarm you, frisk you and search the area of the vehicle from which another weapon may be readily obtained, hold your gun until the end of the stop and then return it with the magazine unloaded and instruct you to not load it until he/she leaves.

and, in a small way, you have supported the 4th amendment because it is none of the officer's business what I am LAWFULLY carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by DeWoody View Post
    Required here in AK. Been stopped once & LEO didn't know how to handle 1911 cocked & locked. Had to carefully explain where & how to pop mag out (he sent it to the asphalt of course). When he was done running everything I got a 10 min lecture on 'safety'. He handed back my weapon, mag & loose bullets. When he was done jackin his jibs I popped in the spare mag, racked one, put on the safety put it away, said thank you and drove off.
    Read this on several different forums! Not believable! Mag release same spot on all autos!! Am I wrong?

He is not going to take the time to take all the bullets out of the mag.!

Sorry guys but I couldn't let this go, I tried.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    Read this on several different forums! Not believable! Mag release same spot on all autos!! Am I wrong?

He is not going to take the time to take all the bullets out of the mag.!

Sorry guys but I couldn't let this go, I tried.
    Iím not 100% sure but it sounds to me like youíre saying you donít believe the poster youíre quoting.

As it sounds like you point out heís not the only person who has related a similar experience they canít all be liars.

As to the topic at hand I imagine this debate has been going on as long as people have been carrying concealed firearms. I believe that there is a certain subset of permit holders that view their permit as the membership card of a secret fraternity and they can not wait to whip it out for a cop.

I , on the other hand, never inform unless I am asked directly or legally required to do so.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    "NOT telling an LEO that your carrying" lessens the chance that the officer is going to ask you to exit the vehicle, disarm you, frisk you and search the area of the vehicle from which another weapon may be readily obtained, hold your gun until the end of the stop and then return it with the magazine unloaded and instruct you to not load it until he/she leaves.

and, in a small way, you have supported the 4th amendment because it is none of the officer's business what I am LAWFULLY carrying.
    and...if you're in PA....and they decide to "run the numbers"...and discover "it's not registered"....then you open up another can of worms...

For those that don't know...PA does not have a "registry" but a "sales database" ...and there are a # of legitimate reasons why a firearm may not be on that list...

Here in Indiana my license lives in the same compartment of my wallet as my drivers license. If I have to show one to a police officer they get both. I've never gotten anything but respect and thanks for the police officers I have delt with. On the other hand in Illinois " I know nothing"

10. Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    and...if you're in PA....and they decide to "run the numbers"...and discover "it's not registered"....then you open up another can of worms...

For those that don't know...PA does not have a "registry" but a "sales database" ...and there are a # of legitimate reasons why a firearm may not be on that list...
    The same is true in Washington. I think LEOs here, though, know the database the Department of Licensing maintains is completely useless and I have not heard of any stories of someone being hassled over a gun that does not match the owner listed in the database. I just wish they would quit wasting resources and money on their useless database.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    The same is true in Washington. I think LEOs here, though, know the database the Department of Licensing maintains is completely useless and I have not heard of any stories of someone being hassled over a gun that does not match the owner listed in the database. I just wish they would quit wasting resources and money on their useless database.
    +1 on that, and considerring that it's our money that they are spending I think we should be able to insist that they do not waste it. (That's a lot of pronouns for one sentence.)

Page 37 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast