Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 38
Page 38 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 1169

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

  1. #371
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PANHANDLE, FL
    Posts
    144

    re "courtesy" to LEOs

    “Courtesy to the LEO” is a mantra often seen on these forums and I think overused and a bit jingoistic. I see LEOs as nothing more than hired public servants who applied for the job. If we extol them too much, which we do, we subordinate our own citizenship and encourage a police state. It’s too late to promote a citizen-based police environment, which would have been far more effective. We’ve made a profession out of everything, including politicians. LEOs shouldn’t be treated with any more or less “courtesy” than anybody else. One shouldn’t do or say anything to anybody to intimidate, disrespect or send a message of aggression – unless you’re defending yourself or another. I know, the “dangers of the profession” will come up. It’s been argued that electricians, farmers and 7-11 cashiers have far more dangerous jobs per hour than police and fire fighters but those folks don’t have a patsy media pumping them up in front of the citizenry all the time.
    If law says to proactively inform the LEO that you’re carrying, then do it; constitutionality of doing so to be determined in different venues. If law doesn’t exist to proactively inform, then don’t. I’m suspicious of those enamored by authority. We’re a nation malnourished of history. Were it not so we’d appreciate the power of our citizenship; wearing that characteristic would have kept government in servitude and in fear of the people. We now serve it [government], and apparently fear it.

  2.   
  3. #372
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    Read this on several different forums! Not believable! Mag release same spot on all autos!! Am I wrong?

    He is not going to take the time to take all the bullets out of the mag.!

    Sorry guys but I couldn't let this go, I tried.
    Sorry to be the pin that pops your balloon....but

    1. No...the mag release is NOT on the same spot on all autos.
    a) standard "American" thumb release on frame behind trigger guard
    b) european heel release on bottom of grip frame...P-38, older Sig 220, Ruger MkII...etc...etc...
    c) funky old Beretta push button on bottom corner of grip frame
    d) HK ambi release on USP that pivots downward, which can also be found on Walther P22 and their new 380
    e) Ruger P Series ambi slotted button that one pushes forward
    f) Smith & Wesson 422 which has a push button on the front strap of the grip frame
    g) and on and on and on and on

    Yes...in some jurisdictions departmental policy supports, if not requires the officer to unload "ammunition feeding devices"...even speedloaders for revolvers, thinking being that the officer is vulnerable when the stop has officially ended and is returning to his cruiser. It wasn't mandated by my department...but other local agencies it was policy.

    I rarely ever took the gun from a subject on a traffic stop IF he passed the attitude test and informed me he was carrying. My answer to that 99.999999999999999% of the time was.."Thanks for letting me know, remember, if you don't play with yours, I won't have to play with mine" I said it in a friendly way to ease the tension and more often than not, the subject got a warning to slow down or fix his tail light, or whatever, and "Have a good night, and be safe."

    So...yeah it could happen, it DOES happen. Not all cops are "gun guys" and aren't familiar with any other weapon than the one they carry. I have seen veteran officers fumble with their OWN guns while I was a training officer. So, get up off the boy.
    Last edited by Snowman1911; 11-17-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: caught a typo

  4. #373
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,900
    Of all the states that allow CC only 10 require you to notify the officer during a police interaction. I think that's significant, we're at, what 45- 47 states that allow ccw? and only 10 feel that Officer safety is enhanced by requiring notification. In many states (Colorado included) no permit is required to carry a concealed weapon in your vehicle, how would a law requiring notification by permit holders affect them? More significantly, how would such a law affect the thousands of criminal who ignore every other gun law on the books on a daily basis?

    I can't see how informing a police officer you're heeled can do anything but escalate tensions, especially if you win the lottery and inform an officer who thinks anyone with a CCW is a wannabe cop.

    There's no benefit to me if I voluntarily inform so I don't. I'm required to produce my permit and a valid I.D if I'm asked that would be the only time I would do so.

    I also think threads like this don't change people's minds at all, sheep are sheep it's in their nature it's who they are.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  5. I would pull over and roll down my window and place both hands out the window, to show him that I had nothing in my hands, and definitely tell the officer I had my CCW and tell him where the weapon was located. When they stop you they don't know if you are the bad guy or the good guy . I don't want to give them any surprises. They plan on going home that night and I don't want to freak them out in anyway at all.

  6. This thread really needs to be closed. 38 pages of people saying the same things over and over again. The don't tell crowd has made up their mind and is not going to be swayed. The do tell crowd has made up their mind and is not going to be swayed. The fence sitters have been presented with every bit of information possible and if they can't get off the fence it is because they are incapable of making a decision, not because both sides have not presented everything under the sun possible.

  7. #376
    Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I've gotten a 10 min lecture on how a particular SC LEO thought that it was unfair that he had to pay an extra $5 for his duty belt because it was a size larger than 48 inches.

  8. #377

    Thumbs down Sitting on the fence

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    This thread really needs to be closed. 38 pages of people saying the same things over and over again. The don't tell crowd has made up their mind and is not going to be swayed. The do tell crowd has made up their mind and is not going to be swayed. The fence sitters have been presented with every bit of information possible and if they can't get off the fence it is because they are incapable of making a decision, not because both sides have not presented everything under the sun possible.
    I am not one to sit on the fence. Most fences poke me in uncomfortable ways when I sit on them.

  9. #378
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    Are you laughing at me, the LEO in question, or the real snoozer of a lecture that he gave me?

  10. #379
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I still dont see how. If it's not mentioned is that any more dangerous?
    It's actually less dangerous because you're not likely to have a cop who may not be familiar with your gun trying to unload it.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  11. #380
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Mississippi
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    This thread really needs to be closed. 38 pages of people saying the same things over and over again. The don't tell crowd has made up their mind and is not going to be swayed. The do tell crowd has made up their mind and is not going to be swayed. The fence sitters have been presented with every bit of information possible and if they can't get off the fence it is because they are incapable of making a decision, not because both sides have not presented everything under the sun possible.
    I am not sure how states other than Mississippi retain Firearm Permit information; if you are the owner of a vehicle that is being pulled over, and are driving it, and have a Firearms permit; the LEO will know before he/she ever faces you if you have a permit (and then, more than likely, a firearm in the vehicle). If you are pulled over driving someone else's vehicle, whether or not you let them know you have a permit is mute, "AFTER" they have run your License; because dispatch will notify them instantly if you do. You are also required to notify them when pulled over; the best method is to hand over your driverís license AND CCW / Firearms Permit (whatever your state calls it), when the LEO requests your ID. As I stated in another thread, I have never had any problems; I hand over BOTH ID's, and when asked if I have, and where the firearm is (I point to and explain its location). I have never had any LEO ask for (or take) any firearm while being stopped, written up, or questioned. The idea that the LEO does not know, or understand the legal carry laws in the state that they work, is ridiculous. It is common respect AND courtesy to let the LEO that has pulled you over know that you have a firearm and a permit. Just because he/she is an LEO does not mean you must instantly have an attitude about them. They are doing a "Job" that is a part of being a civilized capitalistic conservitive "Democracy". Remember, it was YOU that did something to warrant them pulling you over, and it was not personal, because more than likely, they do not know you. By the way I am NOT an LEO. I am an .....(you can read that in my statistics).

Page 38 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Commonsense in Concealed Carry, and Gunfights
    By Kaymen in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 06:11 AM
  2. Travel to Ohio from MA
    By DickL in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 03:07 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 10:32 PM
  4. A LEO speaks about citizens & CC
    By Glock Fan in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 11:52 PM
  5. Inside A Concealed Carry Class
    By lukem in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 10:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast