Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 39
Page 39 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by HunterLee View Post
    I am not sure how states other than Mississippi retain Firearm Permit information; if you are the owner of a vehicle that is being pulled over, and are driving it, and have a Firearms permit; the LEO will know before he/she ever faces you if you have a permit (and then, more than likely, a firearm in the vehicle). If you are pulled over driving someone else's vehicle, whether or not you let them know you have a permit is mute, "AFTER" they have run your License; because dispatch will notify them instantly if you do. You are also required to notify them when pulled over; the best method is to hand over your driverís license AND CCW / Firearms Permit (whatever your state calls it), when the LEO requests your ID. As I stated in another thread, I have never had any problems; I hand over BOTH ID's, and when asked if I have, and where the firearm is (I point to and explain its location). I have never had any LEO ask for (or take) any firearm while being stopped, written up, or questioned. The idea that the LEO does not know, or understand the legal carry laws in the state that they work, is ridiculous. It is common respect AND courtesy to let the LEO that has pulled you over know that you have a firearm and a permit. Just because he/she is an LEO does not mean you must instantly have an attitude about them. They are doing a "Job" that is a part of being a civilized capitalistic conservitive "Democracy". Remember, it was YOU that did something to warrant them pulling you over, and it was not personal, because more than likely, they do not know you. By the way I am NOT an LEO. I am an .....(you can read that in my statistics).
    For both bold.....WHY?

Presenting CPL to LEO

I've been a Michigan CPL holder for the past year and according to the Leoís that taught my CPL class, we didn't have to inform an LEO unless we were actually carrying. From last spring until now I've been stopped 9 times by Leoís and have had my license ran every time, but surprisingly I was never carrying at those moments, so I never informed the Leoís that I had my CPL and I was never asked about it. I was in my personal vehicle as well. It wasn't until the last stop in august that the LEO that ran my license got out of his car very swiftly and started questioning me about the location of my pistol. I told him I was on my way out to the local college for class and informed him that i never carried out there. I was on a sport bike and had a backpack that I opened for him and unzipped my jacket since he didnít seem to believe me. He gave me a short lecture about presenting my CPL at every request whether I was carrying or not. I told him Iíve never been asked about it before but would from now on do so. He asked what my major was (Law Enforcement) and said oh, well have a nice day, and took off. So not sure if every LEO has the same desire to see your CPL but I thought I was going to get my face plastered on his hood because he thought i was lying about not carrying. I didn't get my CPL to mess around and I think most CPL holders are responsible enough to not have Leoís in their face. I can't say a whole lot, because by next year I'll be in their shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    I've been a Michigan CPL holder for the past year and according to the Leoís that taught my CPL class, we didn't have to inform an LEO unless we were actually carrying. From last spring until now I've been stopped 9 times by Leoís and have had my license ran every time, but surprisingly I was never carrying at those moments, so I never informed the Leoís that I had my CPL and I was never asked about it. I was in my personal vehicle as well. It wasn't until the last stop in august that the LEO that ran my license got out of his car very swiftly and started questioning me about the location of my pistol. I told him I was on my way out to the local college for class and informed him that i never carried out there. I was on a sport bike and had a backpack that I opened for him and unzipped my jacket since he didnít seem to believe me. He gave me a short lecture about presenting my CPL at every request whether I was carrying or not. I told him Iíve never been asked about it before but would from now on do so. He asked what my major was (Law Enforcement) and said oh, well have a nice day, and took off. So not sure if every LEO has the same desire to see your CPL but I thought I was going to get my face plastered on his hood because he thought i was lying about not carrying. I didn't get my CPL to mess around and I think most CPL holders are responsible enough to not have Leoís in their face. I can't say a whole lot, because by next year I'll be in their shoes!
    LEO on the street was just on a power trip.

MI 28.425f

28.425f Concealed pistol license; possession; disclosure to police officer; violation; penalty; seizure; forfeiture; "peace officer" defined.

Sec. 5f.

(1) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol shall have his or her license to carry that pistol in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

(2) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a peace officer upon request by that peace officer:

(a) His or her license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) His or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card.

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    It depends on where you are. Some states require notification, some do not. That's the first determiner.

If I were in one of the counties known to be gun friendly I might notify but not to a young cop. I've heard too many stories on cops who want to take possession of the gun, unload it, and who have no familiarity with guns other than the one they carry.
    Had a situation a while back.
    My wife, was in a rehab center, recovering from a stroke.
    I was there, at least 10 hours a day at diff times of day and night.
    I always carry.
    On the last day, on our way out of the center, 5 cop cars arrived and stopped me, at gun point.
    What the hell is going on?
    Some one, called me in. A man with a gun!
    I put my hands up and told them wherer the gun was.
    This young boy, wearing a badge, took my S&W M37, out of my waist band. He tried to take it out of the holster with a thum snap and couldn't, so he yanked everything ouit.
    He didnt know about thum snaps?
    One of the older cops, knew me and tried to talk to tyhe kid.
    The kid, removed the ammo and snapped the cylinder shut.
    What a dork.
    Later, when all was done, the kid put my gun in my trunk ammo next to it and told me to leave.
    The older cop, told him to step aside and retrived the gun, reloaded it and placed it in my holster. He thern handed me the package and told me to be safe.
    Would I tell a LEO, I was carring?
    Let them ask me if I am.
    MICHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by HunterLee View Post
    . The idea that the LEO does not know, or understand the legal carry laws in the state that they work, is ridiculous.
    I've had Colorado cops look my right in the eye and swear on their mother's life that I have a legal duty to inform in Colorado.

Now according to CRS18-12-204 they either have no clue what they're talking about or they're lying.

That said, I agree Navy LT the tell /don't tell horse is quite dead there's no point in beating it further if you're a sheep , you're a sheep and your nature isn't going to change because of a post on the internet.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I've had Colorado cops look my right in the eye and swear on their mother's life that I have a legal duty to inform in Colorado.

Now according to CRS18-12-204 they either have no clue what they're talking about or they're lying.

That said, I agree Navy LT the tell /don't tell horse is quite dead there's no point in beating it further if you're a sheep , you're a sheep and your nature isn't going to change because of a post on the internet.
    Here's another example of cops not knowing the law

8. Don't tell

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    When I took my cpl class three years ago the leo said they took your gun when you did't tell them you had a cpl.

I think you need to inform the police officer if you have cwp at front than hide it from him just in case he search your car then you don't get in trouble . As long as you don't violet the law you're okey .

Quote Originally Posted by zosimo yee View Post
    I think you need to inform the police officer if you have cwp at front than hide it from him just in case he search your car then you don't get in trouble . As long as you don't violet the law you're okey .

Officer I do not consent to any searches
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    For both bold.....WHY?
    When you quoted me, you highlighted some of the phrases (statements) I had made, that showed you agreed with what I was saying. But, what I really do not understand is your question, or its meaning.

Page 39 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast