Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 40
Page 40 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by HunterLee View Post
    When you quoted me, you highlighted some of the phrases (statements) I had made, that showed you agreed with what I was saying. But, what I really do not understand is your question, or its meaning.
    The bolded were not that i was agreeing...

because dispatch will notify them instantly if you do
    Why do they do this? Having a permit is not equal to having felony convictions...this seems to be the same treatment.

It is common respect AND courtesy to let the LEO that has pulled you over know that you have a firearm and a permit.
    Why is it common respect and courtesy? If the firearm has no bearing on why one is stopped why should the subject be brought up?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    The bolded were not that i was agreeing...

Why do they do this? Having a permit is not equal to having felony convictions...this seems to be the same treatment.

Why is it common respect and courtesy? If the firearm has no bearing on why one is stopped why should the subject be brought up?
    Why does/should dispatch inform the LEO that the individual they are now walking up to has a Firearms permit (or CCP)? Any added information about the individual who was pulled over (who is at least 90% hidden from the LEO’s view) will help the LEO, especially the fact that there is a very good chance the individual has on his/her person, a firearm. I am not an LEO, nor have I ever been one, but I do have a great amount of respect for LEO’s. I served 3 years in the US Army, and it seems common sense to me that if I were an LEO, regardless of whether I was stopping someone for speeding, drunk driving, or even just not using their signal lights, I would want to know “in advance” before facing them, if there was a good possibility of them carrying/holding/hiding a firearm. That is “common sense”. Remember, you have, “whether it was intentional or not”, done something that an LEO has reason to believe, is illegal; to put it bluntly, the LEO believes you have broken the law, and the knowledge that you may or may not have a firearm in your possession is information that most all LEO’s would probably want.
    Why is it common respect and courtesy? It does not matter whether or not the firearm has bearing on the reason one is being stopped. It becomes a knowledge and safety issue to the LEO (even before they speak to you). As far as the LEO knows, you could be “Aunt Bee” from the Andy Griffith show, or you could be one of the top ten most wanted (LEO killing) fugitives in America. But he/she has to treat the Fugitive and Aunt Bee exactly the same until circumstances make the LEO alter his/her routine. The knowledge given to them by dispatch that you have a license/permit to carry, is information they should have/receive before the face to face encounter. On the same note (as MS law requires), informing the LEO that you have a license/permit, and also do have a firearm in the vehicle (and give/show) its location, is giving them the common respect and courtesy they not only deserve “as humans”, but as LEO’s.
    A prayer for all who have given an oath to God to (give their lives and) serve this great Country. ...And a moment of silence for all who gave their full measure....

4. Quote Originally Posted by HunterLee View Post
    Why does/should dispatch inform the LEO that the individual they are now walking up to has a Firearms permit (or CCP)? Any added information about the individual who was pulled over (who is at least 90% hidden from the LEO’s view) will help the LEO, especially the fact that there is a very good chance the individual has on his/her person, a firearm.
    I find it interesting that you immediately equate having the permit to possessing the firearm and then center the issue around that firearm. How about, instead equating the permit to: being informed of the permit provides the officer with information that likely the subject that is stopped has passed a background check and is many, many more times likely to be a "safe" person who desires to do the officer no harm than the person without a permit? How about instead equating the permit to: IF a firearm becomes a issue, which it should not become any issue at all since there is no need for it to, but IF it should become an issue, it is that much more likely to be a firearm that is legally possessed and carried.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterLee View Post
    Why does/should dispatch ... but as LEO’s.

First let me say Paragraphs are your friend.

I’m not sure how to approach this w/ out going right back into the tell/ don’t tell dead horse beating contest but I’m going to try.

The first thing I would bring to your attention is that statistically, permit holders are one of the most law abiding demographics a cop is likely to encounter in his career including other cops. I would also point out that many states allow for the carrying of a weapon in a private vehicle w/ out a permit so dispatch certainly won’t be telling the officer about them. Also in some states (Colorado among them) your permit isn’t in some master data base so here they won’t have that information either.

Finally you may want to check your facts before posting because Mississippi doesn’t require you to notify on a traffic stop http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/mississippi.pdf
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

In Georgia where I live it is not required to notify. I have never and will never notify a LEO I am carrying. If they ask if I have a gun in the vehicle I will state that I have no illegal weapons in the vehicle.

If I am visiting a state like Mississippi that requires notification by law then I will notify the LEO. In a non notify state you are just asking for trouble if you notify IMHO.
    I fear a government that fears my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by budone1967 View Post
    If I am visiting a state like Mississippi that requires notification by law then I will notify the LEO.
    FWIW Mississippi doesn't require notification
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

8. i dont think anyone needs to inform a schmofficer of consitutional granted rights...keeping and bearing shall not be infringed.

if you stcik a gun in an officers face one can likely expect to be be shot at. that should be the end of it. no imforming necessary.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    I was stopped and didn't tell the officer I had a CC permit because I didn't have my weapon with me.
    I just handed him my drivers licence and when he came back to the vehicle he asked why I didn't tell him I had a CC permit.
    I told him under the Ohio law I only needed to inform him if I was carring.
    After reading BigSlicks post I will from now on hand them my CC and drivers licence no matter if I am carring or not, nomally I am.
    Debray
    Debray, I am a Instructor for Ohio, Florida and Virginia CCW here in Ohio. Everyone I have Ever trained for Ohio CCW / CHL was Instructed to Inform the Officer Regardless if they are Carrying or Not and Provide them your D.L & CHL regardless if your Carrying Concealed or not. In Ohio the Law says you do not have to Inform the Officer if you do not have a Concealed Handgun with you HOWEVER, If you think about the Officers side of it,,, He just ran your Information D.R. and License Check and it told him you had a CCW/CHL If the Vehicle is registered to you, Then when he is at your Window you do not Inform him or her of the CCW/CHL Permit... He may think you have forgotten to follow the Law, You have a Gun and you dident want to tell him, OR you really have something to hide. I think at that time the Officer will go over you and your Vehicle with a fine tooth Comb. Why put yourself in that situation ? I carry 24/7 unless in a forbidden zone but if I am ever stopped and not carrying, I will always Inform to save myself and the Officer the Hassle. I have had MANY Encounters with Law Enforcment in Ohio while Carrying and they all ask where it is, and then say DONT TOUCH IT and thats that, why not tell them your not Carrying and relieve the Tension ? Thank you. ohioccw4u.com

[QUOTE=www.ohioccw4u.com;166786]Debray, I am a Instructor for Ohio, Florida and Virginia CCW here in Ohio. Everyone I have Ever trained for Ohio CCW / CHL was Instructed to Inform the Officer Regardless if they are Carrying or Not and Provide them your D.L & CHL regardless if your Carrying Concealed or not. In Ohio the Law says you do not have to Inform the Officer if you do not have a Concealed Handgun with you

Your opinion really doesn't matter in comparison w/ the law.

The law says they need PC or a warrant to search your car HOWEVER, think about it from the cop's standpoint. If you refuse a search he may really think you have something to hide.

The law says you don't have to answer any questions w/out a lawyer present and you can't be forced to incriminate yourself HOWEVER, think about it from the cop's standpoint. If you refuse to speak he may really think you have something to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by www.ohioccw4u.com View Post
    Debray, I am a Instructor for Ohio, Florida and Virginia CCW here in Ohio. Everyone I have Ever trained for Ohio CCW / CHL was Instructed to Inform the Officer Regardless if they are Carrying or Not and Provide them your D.L & CHL regardless if your Carrying Concealed or not. In Ohio the Law says you do not have to Inform the Officer if you do not have a Concealed Handgun with you HOWEVER, If you think about the Officers side of it,,, He just ran your Information D.R. and License Check and it told him you had a CCW/CHL If the Vehicle is registered to you, Then when he is at your Window you do not Inform him or her of the CCW/CHL Permit... He may think you have forgotten to follow the Law, You have a Gun and you dident want to tell him, OR you really have something to hide. I think at that time the Officer will go over you and your Vehicle with a fine tooth Comb. Why put yourself in that situation ? I carry 24/7 unless in a forbidden zone but if I am ever stopped and not carrying, I will always Inform to save myself and the Officer the Hassle. I have had MANY Encounters with Law Enforcment in Ohio while Carrying and they all ask where it is, and then say DONT TOUCH IT and thats that, why not tell them your not Carrying and relieve the Tension ? Thank you. ohioccw4u.com
    then he already knows you are a law-abiding person and doesn't have to worry about you.

Page 40 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast