Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 41
Page 41 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

1. Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    then he already knows you are a law-abiding person and doesn't have to worry about you.
    AND, on top of that, SINCE the officer has just received more indication that he does have a person stopped who is LEAST likely to do him harm, it seems to me like a simple question by the officer of, "Do you have any weapons?" would be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by www.ohioccw4u.com
    I think at that time the Officer will go over you and your Vehicle with a fine tooth Comb.
    Really? I don't think he will. Why? Because he would be committing a complete and total violation of the 4th amendment which has already been established in Supreme Court Cases and will likely find his a$$ in a lawsuit along with that of the city/county. A person goes out and LEGALLY obtains CCW/CHL. And, by your statement above, you are justifying a search for weapons, when NO reasonable suspicion of weapons is present, simply because the subject LEGALLY obtained a CCW/CHL! An officer cannot legally conduct a search based upon a legal and lawful activity! Get real!

That would be the exact same situation if an officer stopped you on a bicycle and finds out you have a driver's license so he starts asking about registration and insurance on any vehicles you may own. Upon failure to produce a vehicle registration and insurance, while riding a bicycle in possession of a driver's license, do you think that gives the officer reason to search you and cite you for not having vehicle registration or insurance?

It's just as ridiculous to think an officer will search your vehicle because you have gone to the trouble of getting a background check done and obtain a CCW/CHL. A CCW/CHL is NO indication of the presence of a weapon just as a driver's license is NO indication of the presence of a vehicle if the holder is riding a bicycle.

3. I live in Oregon where it's not required to notify an LEO. That being said I think it's a good idea. When I hand the officer my drivers license they get all my CCW licenses and my instructors license at the same time. I feel it's gotten me out of a ticket.

4. Here in SC it is required to notify the LEO if you have a permit and if you are armed. Plus it's a good Idea to cooperate anyway.

5. the stories are probably fake ..and thats sad.

legally to me seems carrying in a way that isnt infringed upon by a govt goon.

if a person in a car intends to shoot a cop the entire ccw permit asking crap to me seems pointless and a waste of time on traffic stops.

is somoene took the unneeded amount of time to get the unconstitutional cc permit they are probably the least likely to shoot an officer, and on traffic stops at that. hell..if you have a cc permit and want to murder, take the bus or a cab and go kill someone.

I know I am going to get accused of cop bashing for posting this but the type of mindset that is willing to submit to this type of authoritarianism concerns me.

Statistically, it is far more likely that I will have a crime committed against me by a cop than cop will have a crime committed against him by a permit holder. You may not like it but that is a statistical fact. Yet when I interact w/ a cop he gets to stack the deck in his favor.

Recently a Wyoming state trooper was arrested for trying to steal a Wal-Mart truck which he intended to use to stage an accident

Wyoming pays $110,000 to trucker kidnapped by state trooper.

In other news a Colorado trooper was recently arrested for DUI in his patrol car
    Colorado State Trooper pulled over in marked patrol car, arrested for suspicion of DUI - KDVR

So how does that work when I get pulled over and the cop uses his authority to disarm me and then shoots me?

I interact w/ armed people all the time I’ve had arguments w/ armed people and it’s never once occurred to me to tell them to keep their hands away from their weapon. Yet if the police find out I’m armed they either disarm me or feel the need to tell me to keep my hands away from it.

Since I can’t legally refuse these orders the only option I have to maintain a modicum of my rights (and be able to defend myself if I win the lottery and meet the next cop who wants to stage an accident) is to keep my mouth shut unless I am specifically asked if I have a weapon. That’s why I tend to advocate so strongly in favor of not informing
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Thumbs up

In Colorado, if carrying concealed you must notify. If not, you do not have to. When stopped (three times in the past several years for minor infractions) I always hand the officer my driver's license, retired military ID, and carry permit. One officer asked me why all three, and my response was "driver's license because you will ask me for it, retired military ID to prove that I am a citizen, and carry permit to prove that state has investigated me and I am a certified good guy - even though I may have been speeding or broken a traffic law. By the way, I *am* carrying and the piece is locted yada-yada-yada."

Each time I got my cards handed back to me with the admonition to "slow down, Captain" or "your left brake light is out" and no citation. Twice, the cop told me of his military service.

Each time was a positive experience for both me and for the cop (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by CaptVanO View Post
    In Colorado, if carrying concealed you must notify.
    UMMMM, No, you aren't required to notify

Colorado Department of Public Safety
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

9. I'm an ex LEO, I haven"t been stopped in recent years, but keep my DL and CCW in a double pass case in my shirt pocket. In Colorado the officer may asked for your weapon; but must return it upon your release from the stop.I have never heard of it happening, and if he does it had better come back to me fully loaded (with one in the chamber) or his commander will get a formal complaint.

10. I agree with Treo! I have never heard of a law in Colorado that says you must notify. I have a friend that is a Sarge in Platteville and a son on the force for 16 years in Ft. Morgan. I don't believe that there is a cop in Colorado that would hassle you over your weapon.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Highcountry View Post
    I agree with Treo! I have never heard of a law in Colorado that says you must notify. I have a friend that is a Sarge in Platteville and a son on the force for 16 years in Ft. Morgan. I don't believe that there is a cop in Colorado that would hassle you over your weapon.
    Especially if they don't know about it.

Page 41 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast