Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 42
Page 42 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Highcountry View Post
    I agree with Treo! I have never heard of a law in Colorado that says you must notify. I have a friend that is a Sarge in Platteville and a son on the force for 16 years in Ft. Morgan. I don't believe that there is a cop in Colorado that would hassle you over your weapon.
    I ran into one but he committed suicide a year ago
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

3. "I live in NC. As stated before we are obligated to inform the LEO......never know when you have a gung ho officer on your hands. When I advise of my CCW and that I am armed I have complied with statute."

huh?

4. how many states actually have a notification 'statute'??

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    FWIW Mississippi doesn't require notification
    MISSISSIPPI CODE
    SEC. 45-9-101. License to carry concealed pistol or revolver.

(b) The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is carrying a concealed pistol or revolver and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. A violation of the provisions of this paragraph (b) shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) and shall be enforceable by summons.

The above should answer everybody’s comments on whether or not an individual must inform LEO’s in Mississippi. I have been carrying for about ten years now (in Mississippi) and also agree that that permit holders are usually some of the most law abiding. That is not the point I am trying to make, the point is allowing the LEO the most information that would help with the person they are about to face. I am not saying the info should be intrusive (with regard) to anyone’s rights; but having the knowledge that the person the LEO is about to face (whether they are law abiding or not) has a firearm on their person or in their vehicle is information I would want (if I were an LEO). Yes, most all permit holders are actually the most law-abiding, safest, citizens, but not all are (just as with any other group of people). In Mississippi, the dispatcher will know that the owner has a permit as soon as they run the tag (on the vehicle)and so, informs the LEO. Running your ID also informs them. If you don't want to be fined, you inform them. I am actually surprised at the hostility towards the idea of informing the LEO; it does nothing to your privacy and everything to do with the safety of the LEO.
    A prayer for all who have given an oath to God to (give their lives and) serve this great Country. ...And a moment of silence for all who gave their full measure....

Quote Originally Posted by HunterLee View Post
    MISSISSIPPI CODE

(b) The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is carrying a concealed pistol or revolver and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. A violation of the provisions of this paragraph (b) shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) and shall be enforceable by summons.

The above should answer everybody’s comments on whether or not an individual must inform LEO’s in Mississippi. .
    Yes it does. It is not required to inform....unless asked to see it.

MISSISSIPPI CODE

Do the words upon demand mean anything to you?

The above should answer everybody’s comments on whether or not an individual must inform LEO’s in Mississippi.
    It most certainly does you're not required to notify

In Mississippi, the dispatcher will know that the owner has a permit as soon as they run the tag (on the vehicle)and so, informs the LEO. Running your ID also informs them. If you don't want to be fined, you inform them.
    W/ all due respect given your track record up to this point I'd guess most of the above is dead wrong . I know the part about the fine is
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by sthomper View Post
    how many states actually have a notification 'statute'??

9 states require you to notify the LEO.
    Contrary to popular myth Mississippi is not among them.

Those states are AK,LA,MI,NE,NC,OH,OK,SC,and TX,TMK. Any recent changes?

9 states require you to notify the LEO.
    Contrary to popular myth Mississippi is not among them.

Those states are AK,LA,MI,NE,NC,OH,OK,SC,and TX,TMK. Any recent changes?
    Arkansas...

10. I'm in california and would not notify.Nor am i required to.But if asked then i tell them.Of all states i'm quite surprised we here are not required to notify.

Besides,in the county im in most police are not familiar with conceal carry or even know they exist so not an issue.
    Stupidity Should Hurt.....Immensely

Do the words upon demand mean anything to you?
    It most certainly does you're not required to notify
    W/ all due respect given your track record up to this point I'd guess most of the above is dead wrong . I know the part about the fine is
    Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.Thanks for the underlined sarcastic "Personal Note" big guy.The Dispatch (in Ms) will know, as the Ms Highway Patrol hands out the Permit applications, receives the paperwork, money, and creates the ACTUAL Permits. Why do you say the part about the fine is wrong? That is copied from Ms State law, as it applies to gun permits. I do admit it is outdated, and you can find the most recent printing of it (July 2010) by searching (Google, Yahoo, Ask, Bing). As for my track record; what track record? The only item that is not agreed on is the interpretation of the "Letter of the law". When an LEO pulls your vehicle over, walks up to you in it, what is the first words out of his/her mouth? They demand your ID. All other items you disagree with are personal opinions. That is what this site allows; the civil debate on personal opinions, which hopefully you, or I, may learn something new, and/or see from another perspective. Your sarcasm in the personal note does none of this. All because I believe that all permit holders should inform the LEO (that has pulled them/their vehicle over for a perceived illegal issue) that they are carrying a gun. Whether you believe me or not, (in Ms) when dispatch runs your vehicle, they will see you have a permit; same as when they run your ID, because the Highway Patrol (under the Ms Dept of Public Safety) conducts the background check, takes the fingerprints, takes your photo, and hands you (if renewing) your permit.
    FYI; Synonyms for Demand; Insist, Order, Require, Request. I apologize to everyone (else); I may have misinterpreted the letter of the law, which I placed in my previous post and stated that in Ms you must inform the LEO. The letter of the law is vague, in that it does not state what the LEO is demanding. If he/she is demanding the permit, (then one must show their ID with it) and I am wrong, but if the LEO is demanding the ID, (then one must show their permit with it) and I am right. As the law states, BOTH shall be shown if the one is demanded. All of this, everything I have written concerning LEO's and informing them that I am carrying a gun (if/when I am pulled over) is due to the respect that I show them, and that I believe they deserve and should be shown.
    A prayer for all who have given an oath to God to (give their lives and) serve this great Country. ...And a moment of silence for all who gave their full measure....

Page 42 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast