Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 43
Page 43 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 1169

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

  1. #421
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    9 states require you to notify the LEO.
    Contrary to popular myth Mississippi is not among them.

    Those states are AK,LA,MI,NE,NC,OH,OK,SC,and TX,TMK. Any recent changes?
    Technically NOT required to notify that you are carrying in SC. You ARE requried to present your Concealed Weapons Permit if you are carrying; but you are not required in any way to discuss whether you are carrying, what you are carrying, where you are carrying, etc. For all the officer knows you presented your permit in hopes of getting a warning instead of a ticket.

    I've posted all the lorid details in other threads. Note in the actual language of the law, below, that you must inform that you are a permit holder and present the permit. As I've mentioned before, since you are only required to present inform that are are a permit holder and present the permit, this is essentially a nice, private way of informing the officer you are carrying.

    South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

    (K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driverís license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty five dollars.

  2.   
  3. #422
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    9 states require you to notify the LEO.
    Contrary to popular myth Mississippi is not among them.

    Those states are AK,LA,MI,NE,NC,OH,OK,SC,and TX,TMK. Any recent changes?
    Technically NOT required to notify that you are carrying in SC. You ARE required to present your Concealed Weapons Permit if you are carrying; but you are not required in any way to discuss whether you are carrying, what you are carrying, where you are carrying, etc. For all the officer knows you presented your permit in hopes of getting a warning instead of a ticket.

    I've posted all the lurid details in other threads. Note in the actual language of the law, below, that you must inform that you are a permit holder and present the permit. As I've mentioned before, since you are only required to present inform that you are a permit holder and present the permit, this is essentially a nice, private way of informing the officer you are carrying.

    South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

    (K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driverís license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty five dollars.

  4. #423
    good to know!

  5. #424
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,668
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterLee View Post
    Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.Thanks for the underlined sarcastic "Personal Note" big guy.The Dispatch (in Ms) will know, as the Ms Highway Patrol hands out the Permit applications, receives the paperwork, money, and creates the ACTUAL Permits. Why do you say the part about the fine is wrong? That is copied from Ms State law, as it applies to gun permits. I do admit it is outdated, and you can find the most recent printing of it (July 2010) by searching (Google, Yahoo, Ask, Bing). As for my track record; what track record? The only item that is not agreed on is the interpretation of the "Letter of the law". When an LEO pulls your vehicle over, walks up to you in it, what is the first words out of his/her mouth? They demand your ID. All other items you disagree with are personal opinions. That is what this site allows; the civil debate on personal opinions, which hopefully you, or I, may learn something new, and/or see from another perspective. Your sarcasm in the personal note does none of this. All because I believe that all permit holders should inform the LEO (that has pulled them/their vehicle over for a perceived illegal issue) that they are carrying a gun. Whether you believe me or not, (in Ms) when dispatch runs your vehicle, they will see you have a permit; same as when they run your ID, because the Highway Patrol (under the Ms Dept of Public Safety) conducts the background check, takes the fingerprints, takes your photo, and hands you (if renewing) your permit.
    FYI; Synonyms for Demand; Insist, Order, Require, Request. I apologize to everyone (else); I may have misinterpreted the letter of the law, which I placed in my previous post and stated that in Ms you must inform the LEO. The letter of the law is vague, in that it does not state what the LEO is demanding. If he/she is demanding the permit, (then one must show their ID with it) and I am wrong, but if the LEO is demanding the ID, (then one must show their permit with it) and I am right. As the law states, BOTH shall be shown if the one is demanded. All of this, everything I have written concerning LEO's and informing them that I am carrying a gun (if/when I am pulled over) is due to the respect that I show them, and that I believe they deserve and should be shown.
    The law is about the CCW permit.
    That law says that if the CCW is demanded, you must also provide ID. It doesn't say if ID or a Drivers License is demanded, that you have to produce your CCW Permit. That quoted law only applies to the CCW License being demanded. Very clear to me. Islander's copy of SC's law is how MS should have written theirs if they wanted it shown any time ID was requested.

    I wish all states would just agree on one way and be done with it. I have to remember which state I'm in as to whether the cops want to see it or would rather not know if you have one. And I do agree it would be better if the cops didn't get so nervous in some states knowing that you have a gun and permit. Then everyone could just hand the CCW and Drivers License over and all would be good. FL Keys LEO that taught our class said that they just assume that you are armed all the time and plan accordingly.

  6. #425
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterLee View Post
    Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.Thanks for the underlined sarcastic "Personal Note" big guy. <-SNIP->concerning LEO's and informing them that I am carrying a gun (if/when I am pulled over) is due to the respect that I show them, and that I believe they deserve and should be shown.

    A paragraph (from the Greek paragraphos, "to write beside" or "written beside") is a self-contained unit of a discourse in writing dealing with a particular point or idea. Paragraphs consist of one or more sentences
    Iím not even sure where to begin w/ this mess. Dude a topic sentence and a two or three lines supporting it pa-lease

    Why do you say the part about the fine is wrong?
    Because if you arenít required to notify (and you arenít) you canít be fined for not doing so.

    As for my track record; what track record?
    You havenít posted a correct fact (that Iím aware of) in this thread yet

    When an LEO pulls your vehicle over, walks up to you in it, what is the first words out of his/her mouth?
    In Colorado itís ďGood morning/day/ evening. Iím Officer so and so of the Colorado State Patrol. I pulled you over because ----- ď

    All because I believe that all permit holders should inform the LEO
    I have no intention of debating this issue w/ you

    When dispatch runs your vehicle, they will see you have a permit; same as when they run your ID,

    May or may not be true in Mississippi, definitely is not true in Colorado

    I may have misinterpreted the letter of the law,
    You did
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  7. Absolutely

    Any time I am asked by a Law Enforcement for identification, I always produce my License and Carry Permit. Even if I am not carrying at the moment, I consider it a courtesy to the office and a sign of respect for his authority and right to know that I may be carrying.

  8. #427
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Mississippi
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Iím not even sure where to begin w/ this mess. Dude a topic sentence and a two or three lines supporting it pa-lease
    Why do you say the part about the fine is wrong?
    Because if you arenít required to notify (and you arenít) you canít be fined for not doing so.
    As for my track record; what track record?
    You havenít posted a correct fact (that Iím aware of) in this thread yet
    When an LEO pulls your vehicle over, walks up to you in it, what is the first words out of his/her mouth?
    In Colorado itís ďGood morning/day/ evening. Iím Officer so and so of the Colorado State Patrol. I pulled you over because ----- ď
    All because I believe that all permit holders should inform the LEO
    I have no intention of debating this issue w/ you

    When dispatch runs your vehicle, they will see you have a permit; same as when they run your ID,

    May or may not be true in Mississippi, definitely is not true in Colorado
    I may have misinterpreted the letter of the law,
    You did
    I apologize for everyone else on this site for veering off topic, and I do not want to be kicked off because of someone that cannot or will not hold his/her tongue; so this is the final comment I will make in this thread. Mister/Miss, you have issues, and apparently one of them is hiding behind a keyboard. The fact that I interpret Ms Gun law (as it is read by me) differently and respect LEOís (for the most part) should give you no reason to slander and/or trash me (or the way I communicate on-line). I may only have an AAS (Associates in Applied Science) with a 3.97 GPA, but to my knowledge there are no rules preventing someone with an education that is obviously lacking (and not up to your high standards) from posting. My intent was/is to give information as I understand it and should not have to worry that whoever disagrees with me will attack me and my writing abilities. One of your whines was about paragraphing. You cannot paragraph in these posts; you can only fake it by skipping lines. The only fact that is up for debate is the ďinforming the LEOĒ statement. It is easy for people to hide behind keyboards so they can point their fingers and call people liars when they are without any facts or information. You, little man (or woman) need to grow up a bit more before you come out and play.
    A prayer for all who have given an oath to God to (give their lives and) serve this great Country. ...And a moment of silence for all who gave their full measure....

  9. #428
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    Hey Hunter Lee: Last reply was very well-said and shame on those who do exactly what this gentleman is riled about. We all have an interest in understanding all there is to know about CC, CCWs and all aspects of firearms and defense and there are many opinions. Some members just cannot or will not appreciate that denigrating comments do not help anyone, and make you out as a big joke and, IMO, unfit to even have a CCWP; if you get mad at a bunch of words spoken on a forum designed for many ideas, heaven knows how you act on the street with a firearm within reach. If you do not like my comments, kindly say so and explain but do not impugn my intelligence or opinions.

  10. A paragraph (from the Greek paragraphos, "to write beside" or "written beside") is a self-contained unit of a discourse in writing dealing with a particular point or idea. Paragraphs consist of one or more sentences

    A paragraph is if im correct is 2 or more sentences on a certain topic and not one or more sentences...... only one sentence is not a paragraph.

    Sorry for jumping in but a correction was necessary.
    Stupidity Should Hurt.....Immensely

  11. #430
    Many legitimate paragraphs contain only one sentence. When you practiced writing paragraphs in school, the teacher had you compile several sentences, but in fact there is no upper or lower limit.

    Of course, good writers vary the length of their paragraphs, and one-sentence paragraphs should be used sparingly.

Page 43 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Commonsense in Concealed Carry, and Gunfights
    By Kaymen in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 06:11 AM
  2. Travel to Ohio from MA
    By DickL in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 03:07 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 10:32 PM
  4. A LEO speaks about citizens & CC
    By Glock Fan in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 11:52 PM
  5. Inside A Concealed Carry Class
    By lukem in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 10:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast