Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 44
Page 44 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

1. well i called the officers around here and they all said they prefer it and it will calm downt the situation normallyunless its threatened they also said they wont ask to disarm yourself as its your legal right just like theirs to have it

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoy View Post
    Many legitimate paragraphs contain only one sentence. When you practiced writing paragraphs in school, the teacher had you compile several sentences, but in fact there is no upper or lower limit.

Of course, good writers vary the length of their paragraphs, and one-sentence paragraphs should be used sparingly.
    And they also follow all the basic rules of capitalization and punctuation.

4. Adding to... Some States require that you tell, some do not.. Your answer is good ..

Quote Originally Posted by Pele View Post
    Suppose you're out for a drive and you've got a tail light out... Or you're doing a bit above the speed limit and you just had a nice set of headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers put on your car...

Regardless, you're now on the side of the road with a blue light special behind you.

Officer comes to the door and asks for your license and registration... Do you inform him that you are in possession of a concealed handgun or not?

Does the matter that it's the sherrif, a local county officer, or a state trooper change your option?

I think the DMV here flags your plates when you get a CCW. I've always thought it's a good idea to inform.

"Officer, I understand you go through a lot of risk in your line of duty, I would like to minimize this risk and inform you that I am in possession of a Concealed Weapon permit and I do have the weapon on my person (or in the car) The weapon is on my left hip (or next to the emergency brake handle in the center console). My license and registration are in my left front pocket. How would you like to proceed?"
    Some States require you to advise the officer as stated in the laws... Your answer is good, regardless....

In Texas you must advise if you're carrying; in addition, your DL is tagged if you have a CHL. As a matter of courtesy, I always had the officer the CHL with the drivers license (whether carrying or not), then follow instructions. I've never had a problem or a rude officer. Common sense prevails!

It depends entirely on the state where you live. In Iowa it is not required that you tell the officer...that being said, I usually do. I see it as a full disclosure type of situation, not only does it stop you from a very iffy situation should you be asked to exit the vehicle...and the gun, by some stroke of Mr. Murphy's famous law and luck, falls out or is exposed, the officer may freak out. Also the offering of your carrying status let's the officer know that you are letting him know everything up front and the honesty can do nothing but help you in his/her eyes. I hand the officer my DL, proof of insurance and permit to carry all at once and tell them I am carrying. This is also the route I recommend for the students taking my classes. Better safe than sorry.

7. In Summary!

How about this:

In Summary:
    Some states require you to notify the officer up front and some don't. In those states that don't require notification, it's purely personal preference whether you inform the officer or not!

I think that just about covers it, IMHO.

Officer, I understand you go through a lot of risk in your line of duty, I would like to minimize this risk and inform you that I am in possession of a Concealed Weapon permit and I do have the weapon on my person (or in the car) The weapon is on my left hip (or next to the emergency brake handle in the center console). My license and registration are in my left front pocket. How would you like to proceed?"
    Maybe it's just me but if I was a cop I'd tell you to shut up about halfway through that speech. (I'd also be thinking my GAWD what a brown noser)

If you must inform why not simply hand the officer your permit?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

9. i live in ma when took the gun course for permit. don t rember teacher saying any thing bout telling cop you r carrying. i do rember him saying you can not carry in any fed building like post office. or city park or school. so if stop to buy stamps and take gun with you in p.o. can be in big trouble and if leave gun in car while go in . some one steals gun than you also can be in big trouble. but tell cop??

General legal advice in Alabama is that you should inform the officer only if the traffic stop or other engagement with an officer proceeds beyond something routine.

Otherwise, don't talk about the risks the officer takes or mention that you are making him safer by revealing that you have a firearm. Advice is also to use the word firearm, since officers yell "gun" as a warning to other officers, and weapon has negative connotations.

11. Had a case a few months ago, stopped for speeding. I was not in possession. After the LEO came back to my car, he asked if I was, I said no. I got a ticket for speeding :)

In retrospect, I did what I was required, but just my him asking if I was in posession told me either he was concerned, or he was trying to bust me for not telling him right away. After that incident, decided to just say I am not in posession, or I am in posession right away.

The LEO didn't appear to be concerned, but it makes sense to put him at ease, why not. worse he could do is tell me that I don't have to tell him.

Page 44 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast