Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 48
Page 48 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    This thread is treading dangerously close to becoming another CCW Badge thread.
    This particular thread or the topic in general?

I can understand why someone would be concerned the first time it happened (I guess) but after a while it becomes a non event.

the new's worn off my permit, I carry a gun every day , it's not that big a deal.

I exercise the same common sense around cops as I do around other people (I.E, I niether referrence, nor touch my piece) and I stick to the business at hand.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

kelcarry:
    Your response is wise and I appreciate it. I know I'm accurate on the idea that laws are interpretable, flexible, and too often a thing decided by the LEO on the spot. The accuracy of the law improves in the legal process after arrest, indictment, and court date, but at the stress and expense of the arrestee (and family). I understand your response as one leaning toward, trusting, and giving the benefit of the doubt to the LEO. You probably have good reasons for that stand. I don't have the same trust in law enforcement and I'm 56 with a life-long clean record. I worked closely with all levels of LEOs from city, state and FBI in telecommunications engineering over twenty years and formed my opinion, accordingly; not based upon occasional traffic stops. My only attitude, with which you concern yourself, conveyed to an LEO, is that I am a U.S. citizen, fully aware that WE are the focus of this nation, its constitution and protection - not jingoistic followers hoping for life advancement by cajoling and flattering LEOs, the military and other public servants. As far as the dangers LEOs face – they applied for the job and got it. Convenient store night employees, farmers, electricians and cell tower climbers, (and those in many other careers) statistically incurr far more danger per hour than any LEO. They just don’t get the free media marketing enjoyed by LEOs and other government employees – because there’s nothing politically in it for the media.

Thank you Treo and antietam for replies that do not squirm around in the slime of offensive language and name-calling that sometimes overwhelms many of these threads. Your last replies were right on and I can understand and appreciate those comments. Hey Treo: liked you very concise reply that may be short on words but sums up CC in a nutshell. Hey antietam: I guess when your son in law is an LEO and I volunteer time with a very professional police force in Mt. Pleasant, SC, I have a very high regard for same, as you insightfully noted. Wishing you both a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and a hope that all we do is write on these forums and never have to live some of our scenarios and what ifs.

kelcarry:
    Well, you provided more information in support of your stand - I admit, if I had loved ones working in law enforcement my opinions would be different, perhaps not greatly, but changed. There's nothing wrong with that. Anybody who claims to be neutral on issues is prime suspect for a liar. Thanks for your comments. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!

Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    My only attitude, with which you concern yourself, conveyed to an LEO, is that I am a U.S. citizen, fully aware that WE are the focus of this nation, its constitution and protection - not jingoistic followers hoping for life advancement by cajoling and flattering LEOs, the military and other public servants.
    Is that the only reason somebody would be supportive of LEOs or any other public servant?? How 'bout this - I'm a considerate person and I appreciate what those people do. Isn't that reason enough?? Does that make me some sort of kiss-ass?? If it does then I say "good for me". I like it. In addition to police officers, I think public school teachers and firefighters are some of the most underappreciated folks in this country and if there's something simple I can do to make somebody's job a little easier, I'll do it every time. I also greatly appreciate what our military does. I feel this way because of a genuine respect for these people as a whole, not because I'm "hoping for life advancement". Being nice and cooperative with somebody who's chosen career - a) benefits me greatly, and b) can sometimes be far more difficult than anything I'm likely to experience, doesn't make you some sort of lapdog or boot-kisser.

I don't have any relatives who're LEOs and I didn't even really know one until I was in my mid-30s. I have no predisposition towards cops, but like you I've formed an opinion through a decade of interaction with them on a professional level. While I understand that there's always a few bad seeds in every bag, it's obvious my opinion of them is a bit higher than yours.

7. From my years as a Vol. Fire Chief, working with a number of LEO's -- from my personal friends and acquaintances who are LEO's -- from my general observation of history and the direction our society is headed -- I'll make this observation:

LEO's, like other people, range from wonderful, helpful people at one extreme, to vicious sadistic headcases at the other. It seems to me that most of the truly good LEO's are my age and retiring, or older and retired -- Most...

So in the spirit of Hope for the Best but Prepare for the Worst, or just being a good Boy Scout:

Assume CCW, Driver's License and Vehicle Registration is interconnected by computer, as it is in my state. Assume not every person in uniform is your friend.

If your state requires you to notify, do so. If not, don't.

In any case, Carry more than one gun. Declare One. Life ahead will not be pretty. Be Prepared.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Good for you!

9. Exactly! Their job is hard enough as it is without now having to wonder with every car they stop if they may be staring down the barrel of a handgun. I've got to believe the simple act of informing him/her just might buy you some leniency on his/her part. It sure can't hurt your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    I will always let the officer know out of professional courtesy. They have a tough enough job and the fewer surprises they get the better off we all are. 99% of ALL cops I have talked to prefer to be told up front. They may relieve you of your weapon during a traffic stop...but look at some of the very scary dash cam video of cops being shot at point blank range. Even with a vest that stuff hurts. Many will thank you for the heads up and leave you in charge of your weapon because you are being up-front and obviously have nothing to hide.
    There are only a few that go full blown ape nuts over legal ownership and possession of a weapon. These guys are easy enough to deal with. Simply ask for a supervisor and file a formal complaint. Follow up on the complaint with internal affairs and bad cops don't last long.

10. Exactly! Their job is hard enough as it is without now having to wonder with every car they stop if they may be staring down the barrel of a handgun. I've got to believe the simple act of informing him/her just might buy you some leniency on his/her part. It sure can't hurt your chances.
    Methinks you're an optimist. Sorry, I've seen the "ape nuts" response. I also believe that giving some Beretta Boy or Glockista my 1911 and hoping he'll make it safe without shooting either of us is dangerous. So is hoping he won't get nervous and shoot me while I make it safe.

BTW, their job is one they chose, half as dangerous as being a Fireman, nowhere near as dangerous as being a Logger or Alaska Crab Fisherman.

And any halfway trained cop has been taught to assume ANYONE may be armed. He is also fully aware that CCW carriers not only commit FAR few crimes per capita than the general public, but also fewer per capita than sworn LEO's. Hassling CCW holders may be fun for some cops, may even be "policy" for some departments, but it's NOT done in the interest of safety.

I repeat, given the tenor of our times, there is NO guarantee that a person in uniform who stops you is your friend (he might be, but you must be prepared for the opposite). As time passes, this will get worse, not better.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Texas law requires you to notify officer, you do not need to notify officer if not carrying but I hand them both licenses anyway, tied to Texas Drivers License and they can check. On a recent stop in a small Texas town had I not explained how to safe a colt combat commander the officer who was waving gun over my wife and himself would have discharged the weapon shot himself or my wife, do not believe the BS of the media that officers are trained and safe with weapons they are not familiar with. Did not write ticket and thanked me. Good Ending

Page 48 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast