Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 5
Page 5 of 117 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 1169

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

  1. #41
    wolfhunter Guest
    [QUOTE=maybejim;74600]You do not have to present your carry permit to the officer in Idaho unless it's a very recent change.

    I don't understand how it is courtesy to notify an officer. Is it courtesy to tell him you have a carton of milk and a box of twinkies?[/QUOTE]

    Yes, it's a courtesy. You should phrase this as, "Officer, I have some milk and a box of Twinkies. Would you like some?"

  2.   
  3. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    You do not have to present your carry permit to the officer in Idaho unless it's a very recent change.

    I don't understand how it is courtesy to notify an officer. Is it courtesy to tell him you have a carton of milk and a box of twinkies?
    HA! First thing I thought was "Insert donut joke here," but Wolf beat me to it.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    [quote=wolfhunter;74612]
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    You do not have to present your carry permit to the officer in Idaho unless it's a very recent change.

    I don't understand how it is courtesy to notify an officer. Is it courtesy to tell him you have a carton of milk and a box of twinkies?[/QUOTE]

    Yes, it's a courtesy. You should phrase this as, "Officer, I have some milk and a box of Twinkies. Would you like some?"
    With my luck, I'd be arrested for bribing an officer.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Close to Reading, PA
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5757 View Post
    As long as you are not involved in criminal activty there will be no problem
    This is precisely why I *DON'T* inform. If I'm not engaged in criminal activity, I have no reason to even have a conversation with a LEO. Why inform him that I'm carrying -- so he can possibly freak out and think I'm out to kill him?

    To me as a private citizen, it is my duty to hold LEOs accountable to the laws and rules -- just like they do to us. One of those rules is the right of citizens to live freely without government interference. If I'm carrying legally, a LEO can't do anything about it, so why create a possible negative situation where none existed?

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    25 miles north of Idaho Falls,Idaho.1/2 mile fron the south fork of the Snake River.GODS country
    Posts
    8
    The information I wrote was what the Sheriff Office told me when I recieved my Permit.And by the way,our cops dont eat twinkies and milk.They are hardcore its coffee and doughnuts so dont offer them no twinkies.

  7. #46
    Maybe it is because I am in a gun friendly state (Utah), but I see way too much paranoia about this subject. The vast majority (I do not say all, but the vast majority) of LEO are CCW friendly, and should be assumed as such. Notifying IS a courtesy, and I will always do it, no matter where I am. That is just me, do as you will.
    You are right, that in most places, by law, you are not required to do so. Guess what, by law, your local LEO can write you up for doing 36MPH in a 35MPH zone, but, as a courtesy to you, 99+% of them will not do it. Unless you are over 40MPH, they probably won't even bother pulling you over to warn you. Call it a common courtesy, whatever, but most of the LEO's out there are on OUR side. Treat them as such, and give them the benefit of the doubt. There are way too many people that seem to constantly be "hearing the black choppers".

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Central Missouri
    Posts
    124
    Hear, hear queball!! Having come up in a family of LEO's, I was taught to respect all LEO's. Keep your hands in plain sight, answer all questions "Yes, Sir" and "No, Sir." Even if you choose to disagree - disagree RESPECTFULLY. That being said, if a LEO chooses to disarm me for the duration of our transaction, so be it. HE still has a gun, and I sincerely doubt that someone is going to take him out, then me, in those few minutes. Yes, there are a few jerks working in Law Enforcement - it's inevitable, the law of odds and all that - but even if you don't respect the man wearing it, respect the badge.
    When it comes to handguns, there are Sig Sauers, then there's everything else.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
    Hear, hear queball!! Having come up in a family of LEO's, I was taught to respect all LEO's. Keep your hands in plain sight, answer all questions "Yes, Sir" and "No, Sir." Even if you choose to disagree - disagree RESPECTFULLY. That being said, if a LEO chooses to disarm me for the duration of our transaction, so be it. HE still has a gun, and I sincerely doubt that someone is going to take him out, then me, in those few minutes. Yes, there are a few jerks working in Law Enforcement - it's inevitable, the law of odds and all that - but even if you don't respect the man wearing it, respect the badge.
    I would have mixed feelings about an officer disarming me after he's been notified that I'm cc during a routine traffic stop. Believe it or not, a lot of LEO are not "gun" people. Meaning, they qualify with it and that's about it. What if a rookie decides he wants to do so, but his familiarity is with glock and he disarms me of a 1911 that he may or may not be familiar with? All of the variables make me shudder. Just saying, I have mixed feelings about it.

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
    I would have mixed feelings about an officer disarming me after he's been notified that I'm cc during a routine traffic stop. Believe it or not, a lot of LEO are not "gun" people. Meaning, they qualify with it and that's about it. What if a rookie decides he wants to do so, but his familiarity is with glock and he disarms me of a 1911 that he may or may not be familiar with? All of the variables make me shudder. Just saying, I have mixed feelings about it.
    +1 I agree. I've done LEO firearms training classes where there were LEO who had problems with a few types of semi-autos as well as a SA and DA revolver. If they're gonna disarm me, I would like to see them render the firearm "safe" before simply putting it down somewhere. Handling a loaded gun is serious business. Simply putting down an unholstered LOADED gun could be dangerous.



    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  11. #50
    In most Counties in Tennessee if they run your DL they will see your Handgun Permit. It is a good idea to hand the Officer your Permit when you give them your DL. This seriously reduces the stress of a officer sitting in his patrol car first learning about it over the radio. In Tennessee it is not a CCW but a Handgun Carry Permit. In some Rural areas it is common nowdays to see open carry.

Page 5 of 117 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Commonsense in Concealed Carry, and Gunfights
    By Kaymen in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 07:11 AM
  2. Travel to Ohio from MA
    By DickL in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 04:07 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 11:32 PM
  4. A LEO speaks about citizens & CC
    By Glock Fan in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 12:52 AM
  5. Inside A Concealed Carry Class
    By lukem in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 11:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast