Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 54
Page 54 of 117 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

1. I will have my license on the dash before I stop. When the cop comes to the door I have my hands on the wheel eyes straight ahead. Will give it the license when it asks. Will engage in no conversation and answer yes or no and give no info beyond the stop and will not even glance at it beyond getting the badge number.

ADMIT NOTHING AND SEE NOTHING.

If asked to get out of the car it will be informed of ccw and hand it the permit. I will proceed as it sees fit.

Ia. does not support telling it you have a ccw unless asked.

It is after all about 2011 and it seems these people are not to spiffy as a whole any more and not to be trusted.

I am not a criminal and never have been never even been arrested and intend to keep it that way.

This ought to fire em up.

Again, I think a lot of this discussion is common sense and opinion. To keep my response w/ in the very narrow confines of a traffic stop I look as a traffic stop as a series of problems that a cop has to solve before I can go on my way, The more problems I hand him to solve the longer I’m going to sit on the side of that road. Telling him I have a weapon (unless he asks) is handing him another problem.

Telling the Officer that I am armed also opens up the possibility that I’m going to have to endure a “Why do you think you need a gun “lecture. It also presents the possibility that I am going to be taken out of the car and put in handcuffs (for officer safety of course). For those who have never had the pleasure handcuff hurt (especially if you have a broad chest). I’d rather not.

When it comes to answering extraneous questions at a traffic stop, I’ve already mentioned that I got out of a ticket once because I didn’t incriminate myself and he had no other means of verifying my speed. Most of the time if the cop is asking questions of you during a stop he’s trying to access your intoxication level but, what if he’s not? What if he’s just heard, over the radio that a car matching the description of yours was last seen leaving the scene of a bank robbery at First and Main? “Where are you coming from?” just took on a whole new meaning didn’t it?

Bottom line, (IME) telling a cop you're armed causes more problems than it solves. Assuming you’re concealing correctly the odds are the cop will never know the gun is in your car so why add yet another variable to the mix?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    It's amazing how many on this forum left-handedly demean the Constititution and insult those who enthusiastically support or even mention it. They rush in to cajole authority. They comprise the same personalities who turned on family members in the old Soviet Union for speaking against communism. The focus of the U.S. Constitution is not those sworn to obey and uphold it [but actually despise it], rather the ordinary citizen. I think the video is great testimony to those who are purists, constitutionally. If they er, it is on the side of fundamentals and that great document, under fire, which will ultimately stand, but not without bloodshed. Constitutional purists are good people; more trustworthy than those looking for a fresh way to proclaim their respect authority.
    Apparently you hate the police (i.e. those who "actually despise" the constitution). Try living without them. There are parts of the world that are basically without law like Haiti, much of Afghanistan, half of Mexico, etc. etc. Why don't you go spend a year in one of those places....spend a year without having any hated LEOs around to trample your rights. Let us know how that works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Bottom line, (IME) telling a cop you're armed causes more problems than it solves. Assuming youíre concealing correctly the odds are the cop will never know the gun is in your car so why add yet another variable to the mix?
    The bottom line for me is that I feel the odds of me being on my way quickly are much greater than ending up in handcuffs if I'm reasonably cooperative and put the LEO at ease.

6. Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I know quite a few LEOs. A few of them are personal friends of mine. Every single one of them said they would prefer to know when somebody is armed. It makes them much more relaxed because a CCW holder almost always = law-abiding citizen, and if somebody was going to try to harm a LEO it's highly unlikely that they'd tell the officer that they were armed.

That's why I would inform an officer.
    When I was going through CWP classes the instructor stated " that if you get pulled over and you are carrying, keep your hands on the steering wheel and let the officer know that you have a Concealed Weapons permit and that you are armed ". He also stated depending on the nature of why you were pulled over the officer will probably let you go...

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Apparently you hate the police (i.e. those who "actually despise" the constitution). Try living without them. There are parts of the world that are basically without law like Haiti, much of Afghanistan, half of Mexico, etc. etc. Why don't you go spend a year in one of those places....spend a year without having any hated LEOs around to trample your rights. Let us know how that works out for you.
    I guess Iím not understanding your rationale. In places like Haiti itís not a question of no law so much as no government period right now. Afghanistan does have law (Shairia law) itís just administered at the tribal level. Oddly enough you don't see a lot of petty crime in Afghanistan. Mexico has cops but a lot of them are bought and paid for.

The police arenít there to protect you; they are there to arrest suspects (after the crime has been committed), gather evidence and assist the DA in obtaining a conviction.

One night in Tacoma I was the victim of a road rage incident it took the police 20 minutes to arrive on the scene ( I was actually on the phone w/ 911 and they could hear the guy screaming at me). When they got there I was able to provide the make, model, color and license plate of the car, as well as, a complete description of the driver. There was an eye witness (gas station attendant) and they had the passenger from the road ragerís car (he bailed about the time the gas station attendant came out from behind the counter w/ a bat and left his passenger to take the rap) The police wouldnít even take a statement and certainly never bothered to follow up on the complaint. I donít see how the police made me any safer that night do you?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    The bottom line for me is that I feel the odds of me being on my way quickly are much greater than ending up in handcuffs if I'm reasonably cooperative and put the LEO at ease.
    Then do that. The first time you sit on the side of the road while the cop calls in your serial number, waits for a response, disassembles your weapon and tells you he's going to leave your ammunition down the street and you can go get it after he's gone, Then you tell us how much quicker it worked out for you

Quote Originally Posted by articblue3 View Post
    When I was going through CWP classes the instructor stated " that if you get pulled over and you are carrying, keep your hands on the steering wheel and let the officer know that you have a Concealed Weapons permit and that you are armed ". He also stated depending on the nature of why you were pulled over the officer will probably let you go...
    But...is it required by law in your state? This instructor may have been stating his opinion...and many would take it as being law simply because they don't know any different.

10. I hand him my licence and CCW at the same time. Then put my hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 and wait for instructions. Twice I think doing this got me a warning instead of a ticket. These guys ust want to go home safe to their families so letting him know you have a weapon and mking him aware of it helps to ease their minds a bit I think.

11. Quote Originally Posted by gilfo View Post
    I hand him my licence and CCW at the same time. Then put my hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 and wait for instructions. Twice I think doing this got me a warning instead of a ticket. These guys ust want to go home safe to their families so letting him know you have a weapon and mking him aware of it helps to ease their minds a bit I think.
    I hand him my license and have my insurance and registration at the ready and then put my hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 and wait for instructions. Twice I think doing this got me a warning instead of a ticket. I never said anything about the gun on my belt or the CPL in my wallet. These guys just want to home safe to their families, and them not knowing about a lawfully carried firearm is not going to change that one bit. It IS however going to lessen the chance that they are going to make a big deal out of my gun and cause me extra grief, if they happen to be one of the few anti-civilian-gun cops out there.

I never could understand how "they just want to go home at night" is any justification for telling them you are armed. What the heck difference does that make? I just want to go home at night too. That's exactly the reason I don't tell them.

We can go on for another 60 pages and all say exactly the same things over and over again if y'all like. I've changed my mind, I'm up for it.