Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 57
Page 57 of 117 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    NavyLT:
    re: "for officer safety" is the cover-all for circumventing that pesty constitutional thing - they play the card for practically everything.
    Whoa! I actually agree with Antietam on something!

This is precisely why if stopped I would be polite and do my best to put the officer at ease. That includes showing my CCW. I've said many times that things like "probable cause" and "officer safety", etc. are huge gray areas that allow a LEO quite a bit of leeway to use his or her discretion. The officer can ruin your day if they want to so I would try to start out on the right foot. In an instance of questionable behavior by a LEO, in the long run you may win the war but on that day you are definitely going to lose the battle. The officer has all the advantages in this situation. For me, winning the war means driving away after a few minutes with, at worst, a traffic citation. My strategies and tactics in that war are a matter of personal choice. They've worked well for me in the past. To the rest of you I say - do what you feel comfortable with.

On that note I will bow out of this discussion and find another thread to be argumentative in.

I wasn't aware that an officer needed probable cause to run a serial number that he simply happened to learn. Of course, PC would be required to request to see a firearm for the purpose of a running the number.

In the New Jersey town I lived in years ago, police would routinely run license plates without PC and without the driver's knowledge. When by using this practice they apprehended several juveniles in a stolen car, there was an outcry from community "activists" that the officers must have been "profiling" and had no right to run plates without PC. As I remember, the court ruled that the police could run plates whenever they so desired. (The point was rendered moot anyway, when all the juveniles were released without sanction.)

I would think that the same principle applies to serial numbers on guns, but maybe it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoy View Post
    I would think that the same principle applies to serial numbers on guns, but maybe it doesn't.
    I'm sure I'm not going to get this right but here goes.

Your license plate is posted in public anyone can see it so you have no reasonable expectation of privacy. On most guns you would have to take the gun out of the holster( search / siezure?) to read the serial number.

In Colorado a LEO may inspect the chamber of any long gun in the vehicle to ensure that is isn't loaded ( poaching law)
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Wow NavyLT! You're showing signs of open mindedness - there's hope for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    If an individual is pulled over for a traffic stop, the presence of a legally carried firearm is not probable cause for the officer to run the serial number.

Arizona v. Hicks (Supreme Court of the US, 1987)
    And yet, they do. Happened to me personally. Ran the motorcycle tag number, checked for outstanding warrants, ran the gun, checked the CCW permit. All for running a stop sign (they said), altho I didn't get a ticket. One disclaimer, FWIW: I was wearing a patch on my back.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

ranger351w:
    You summed it up well. I think LEOs respect the detained sticking to business more than those being too respectful - and I don't say that to criticize - it's business - and I don't thank them or the city or state for taking my money.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    But, (IMO) regardless of what that instructor says it is still incumbent upon you (in the generic sense) to study and know your state's laws on concealed carry and use of deadly force.
    So, if the student must double check what the instructor says, why not just hand out a booklet with the laws printed in it with the CCW permit and do away with mandatory training?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    So, if the student must double check what the instructor says, why not just hand out a booklet with the laws printed in it with the CCW permit and do away with mandatory training?
    Come n dude. You should know by now I don't even think we should be required to get a permit. Do you really think i'm going to disagree on the question of doing away w/ training?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

NYS does not require to say anything or show anything. I asked several friends who are LEO's and they would always like to be informed so as not to be surprised. So in NY use your best discretion and avoid getting into a hassle with a hot shot rookie.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Come n dude. You should know by now I don't even think we should be required to get a permit. Do you really think i'm going to disagree on the question of doing away w/ training?
    You won't, but someone will be along before today is over that will! (And they will be self-professed "pro-2A", too!)