Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 58
Page 58 of 117 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by big cigar View Post
    NYS does not require to say anything or show anything.
    Not to be a jerk or anything but are you certain of that?

I'm not disputing you I just think that more permit holders should be conversant on their state laws
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

NYS law on notifying a LEO

I spoke to 3 current NY state troopers, and one former sheriff.
    This what thay told me, NOT REQUIRED.

I did not read the law. They all independently stated that they would appreciate being notified up front and not be surprised.

now I am sure that would vary on who they pull over, what the car looks like, and the circumstances. but that was the universal response I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post

I'm not disputing you I just think that more permit holders should be conversant on their state laws

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post

It sounds back-assward....but the most restrictive states...NY, NJ, CA, MA...are all non-inform states...

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    It sounds back-assward....but the most restrictive states...NY, NJ, CA, MA...are all non-inform states...
    It actually makes sense when you think about it. They probably don't expext to have anyone actually walking around w/ a gun
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

6. Notifying Officer

As stated in an earlier post the state of North Carolina REQUIRES that you notify any Officer that you have your CCW AND if you are carrying or not.

If he has checked your registration he already knows you have the CCW permit - you must therefore advise him if you have a gun or not. If you do not inform the officer you are subject to fines, loss of CCW privilege and can never granted a CCW permit ever again in the state.

You must also be sure that if you are being stopped you are not in a GUNSAFE ZONE! Last year a trooper pulled a man over for speeding. The road was not government property BUT the man turned into a parking lot on NC State University property. When the officer determined the man did have a weapon he arrested him for having a weapon on School property. The man was imprisoned and fined heavily and the charges were upheld in all the courts even after several appeals.

It is your responsibility to know the laws and during our training the instructors will specifically warn you of these laws - the correct solution when the officer flags you down? Drive to a gas station or somewhere not school or government property. The officers know this and will follow you.

CCW is a privilege in NC and is only granted after completing specific training and extensive background check, minimum of 90 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbuddy45 View Post
    CCW is a privilege in NC and is only granted after completing specific training and extensive background check, minimum of 90 days.
    Are you comfortable with concealed carry being treated as a privilege when in fact it should be respected as a right?

no longer required in Tx. However, its a good thing to do anyway.

Actually, its a maximum of 90 days. The Sheriff in your respective must respond to your application within 90 days.

10. To Inform of Not to Inform...

Should i ever be stopped, out of courtesy and professionalism, I will simply hand the officer or trooper my license and CCP at the same time. No doubt, he'll ask if I'm carrying and where, and will give ME instructions that will keep him comfortable and safe.

Here's a story I was sent about a guy in a similar situation:

Seems a guy cruises thru a stop sign, and gets pulled over by a local policeman. Guy hands the cop his driver's license, insurance verification, plus his concealed carry permit.

"Okay, Mr. Smith," the cop says, "I see your CCW permit. Are you carrying today?"

"Yes, I am."

"Well then, better tell me what you got."

Smith says, "Well, I got a .357 revolver in my inside coat pocket. There's a 9mm semi-auto in the glove box. And, I've got a .22 magnum derringer in my right boot."

"Okay," the cop says. "Anything else?"

"Yeah, back in the trunk, there's an AR15 and a 12 gage shotgun. That's about it."

"Mr. Smith, are you on your way to or from a gun range...?"

"Nope."

"Well then, what are you afraid of...?"

"Not a darn thing..."

As stated in an earlier post the state of North Carolina REQUIRES that you notify any Officer that you have your CCW AND if you are carrying or not.

If he has checked your registration he already knows you have the CCW permit - you must therefore advise him if you have a gun or not. If you do not inform the officer you are subject to fines, loss of CCW privilege and can never granted a CCW permit ever again in the state.

You must also be sure that if you are being stopped you are not in a GUNSAFE ZONE! Last year a trooper pulled a man over for speeding. The road was not government property BUT the man turned into a parking lot on NC State University property. When the officer determined the man did have a weapon he arrested him for having a weapon on School property. The man was imprisoned and fined heavily and the charges were upheld in all the courts even after several appeals.

It is your responsibility to know the laws and during our training the instructors will specifically warn you of these laws - the correct solution when the officer flags you down? Drive to a gas station or somewhere not school or government property. The officers know this and will follow you.

Your instructor needs to do a better job. In NC, If you are not carry there is no reason to say anything about having a permit.

14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.