Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 59
Page 59 of 117 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

1. Quote Originally Posted by chuck56 View Post
    Should i ever be stopped, out of courtesy and professionalism, I will simply hand the officer or trooper my license and CCP at the same time. No doubt, he'll ask if I'm carrying and where, and will give ME instructions that will keep him comfortable and safe.
    When I am stopped again, out of courtesy and professionalism, I will present to the officer my driver's license, registration and insurance, and leave my CPL in my wallet and not mention the gun I am carrying. The fact that I choose not to tell a police officer about my legal behavior and possessions is in no way less courteous or less professional. It is simply not raising an issue which has absolutely no legitimate reason to be an issue.

Officer notification

It hasn't happend to me and I've had a permit for three years. However, if stopped I would give the office my lic and permit to show respect for the officer. It would even put him at ease that he is not dealing with a bad ass etc. I have enen heard stories here in Az that officers had given CCW holders a pass.

I am not saying that automatically I turn over the goods. I am only putting ot out there that my guys would appreciate it. Some stranger, rookie, bad ass may look to hassle or not. I can only say that the law does not require, my experienced trooops would like to know. Others may not. When it comes to a gun you have to uses some whits and good judgement.

As has been pointed out this discussion has been visited and revisited on this board, neither side changes their opinion although occasionally an “informer” gets rousted by an anti cop and becomes a non-informer but that’s about the extent of it. I would, however, like to ask this question. If I am a law-abiding citizen, who is by definition, not a threat to the officer, how does my disclosure that I’m armed contribute to officer safety?
    Also if whatever you answer is true, why doesn’t my state legislature agree with you?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Hey Treo: My state legislature does agree with me--you show your CCWP in SC if an LEO, in the course of his duties stops you to question you et al. Peace Brother and God Bless. Happy and Healthy New Year and may out forum scenarios never become reality.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Treo: My state legislature does agree with me--you show your CCWP in SC if an LEO, in the course of his duties stops you to question you et al. Peace Brother and God Bless. Happy and Healthy New Year and may out forum scenarios never become reality.
    Of 48 states that allow some form of concealed carry, your state is one of 8 that require notification (9 if you count Texas but Texas attaches no penalty for failure to do so).

Perhap my question would be better worded if I asked "Why, if this is such an important thing to do, do so few states have a law on the books?"
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I love the way people on this forum make up laws that don't exist.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of factual information, but you're state legislature" doesn't agree with you. Title 23, Chapter 31, Section (K) very specifically states;

"A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty-five dollars."

S.C. Code of Laws Title 23 Chapter 31 Firearms - www.scstatehouse.gov-LPITS

The LEO has to identify himself AND he has to ask for identification. Sorry, but facts are sticky things.

This right here is a perfect example of why someone said the other day that it's up to the individual to research and be familiar with their state laws. Apparently you haven't. Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Of 48 states that allow some form of concealed carry, your state is one of 8 that require notification (9 if you count Texas but Texas attaches no penalty for failure to do so).

Perhap my question would be better worded if I asked "Why, if this is such an important thing to do, do so few states have a law on the books?"
    10 states are Must Inform: AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX ...but point is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by tncruzin View Post
    It is refreshing to hear that there are at least some people out there with a touch of common sense. I can't believe there are so many who are paranoid about LEO's. Sure there are bad apples out there, just like in any profession. But no one will ever convince me that this is the majority. To categorize them all as being bad and are out to get you because you are legally carrying only shows your ignorance.
    True, categorizing them ALL as BAD is ignorant. But treating them all as potentially bad or dangerous is simply prudent. Just as we treat all guns as loaded so the wise man will treat all cops as potentially bad. That doesn't mean being impolite or obstructionist. That means being respectful but cautious and not giving up any of the rights that we have as citizens.

You have no way of knowing if that cop is looking for some cash to confiscate as "suspected drug money." You have no way of knowing if he or his department have a policy of making life hard for CCW permittees. There is no point in giving him any potential excuses for harassing you should he be looking for one. A great video, by a professor of law and former defense attorney is found in three parts on Youtube.

YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1
    YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 2
    YouTube - Don't Talk To The Police Even If You Are Innocent Part 3 of 3

These videos make clear that the goal of a cop is to make arrests and clear cases. Justice, guilt, or innocence have nothing to do with his job. And that cop can take the most innocent statements and twist them to prove or justify whatever he or she is out to prove or justify.

Would I tell a cop I'm armed? In Missouri where I live, I am required to tell him if he asks. Otherwise, no, I won't mention it any more than I'd mention that I had an MP3 player, that I have a cell phone, that I have a box of donuts on the back seat, or that I have any other legal possessions with me. Why should I? As a cop who wants to go home after his shift he should assume that ANY occupants of ANY car he stops may be armed and should worry about their behavior rather than the possessions they admit to having.

11. Inform the officer

As a huge Glock fan, when I was in Austria I toured the factory and bought a Glock sticker which I display on my rear window. I feel it is like a home security sign and hopefully may prevent someone approaching my car door.. This also alerts an officer of my status. However, since he doesn't know me, its both hands visible and an automatic verbal disclaimer. I don't think he needs any surprises considering his on the job risk.