Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 60
Page 60 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
    As a huge Glock fan, when I was in Austria I toured the factory and bought a Glock sticker which I display on my rear window. I feel it is like a home security sign and hopefully may prevent someone approaching my car door.. This also alerts an officer of my status. However, since he doesn't know me, its both hands visible and an automatic verbal disclaimer. I don't think he needs any surprises considering his on the job risk.
    My wife has a "39" sticker on the back of her SUV. The thing is she doesn't drive a Chevy and she's not Ryan Newman.

How does your sticker notify anyone of anything except that you have a sticker? I mean besides notifying the bad guys that you might have a gun inside for the stealing.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

3. inform the officer

That was funny. In order to steal my weapon, they have to steal me as well because it is nerver off of my side. It would be considered an eminent threat to my life to kidnap me, soooo I don't think it would go that way. I also do think it could alert/stop someone approaching the driver side of my car. In theory, burglars pass homes with security systems... thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
    That was funny. In order to steal my weapon, they have to steal me as well because it is nerver off of my side. It would be considered an eminent threat to my life to kidnap me, soooo I don't think it would go that way. I also do think it could alert/stop someone approaching the driver side of my car. In theory, burglars pass homes with security systems... thats my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Were you going to answer the question?
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Soverign State of Poverty Knob near Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    What does your legally carrying a concealed weapon have to do with a legally conducted traffic stop? There is no surprise because it doesn't come up. There is no scary dash cam video possible because you are a law abiding citizen simply executing your Constitutional right. Do you notify him that you are capable of having a political discussion with him over the law he wants to impose?

I have no problem with anyone who wants to notify but I do believe that presents the possibility of everyone involved being put in danger if the officer decides to take possession of the gun.

I have had CCW permits in two states (at different times), and both states that issued the permit said it was state law that you inform a leo that you were in possession of a firearm. It was also stated that it is the OFFICERS discretion wheather or not to temporary take possession of the firearm, but if he wanted to disarm you, he has the right to do so. Easier to let them know up-front to avoid possible conflict. If a leo wants to take temporary possession of your piece, surrender it to him. If all is in order, the leo MUST return your piece to you at the conclusion of the encounter.

I have never been stopped while carrying, but I would much rather give LEO the heads up and present my LTCF with my license. I'd rather answer a couple questions than get drawn on if he/she should see a weapon they aren't aware of.

7. I believe I succinctly did answer the question, copied below

"I also do think it could alert/stop someone approaching the driver side of my car. In theory, burglars pass homes with security systems... thats my story and I'm sticking to it!"

8. inform the officer

I believe I did succinctly answer the question.

"I also do think it could alert/stop someone approaching the driver side of my car. In theory, burglars pass homes with security systems"

Soverign State of Poverty Knob near Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    You do not have to present your carry permit to the officer in Idaho unless it's a very recent change.

I don't understand how it is courtesy to notify an officer. Is it courtesy to tell him you have a carton of milk and a box of twinkies?
    LOOK OUT! I am in possession of twinkies! So what? You gonna club the LEO with your twinkies? He (leo) isn't afraid of twinkies as they can't do anything but give you a big belly. On the other hand, a concealed firearm could be perceived as a threat.

10. I agree. Don't say anything, just hand the LEO your CCW permit with your license.

Quote Originally Posted by WB9IIE View Post
    LOOK OUT! I am in possession of twinkies! So what? You gonna club the LEO with your twinkies? He (leo) isn't afraid of twinkies as they can't do anything but give you a big belly. On the other hand, a concealed firearm could be perceived as a threat.
    No perceived threat if they don't know about it...which they wont if you don't mention it...