Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 61
Page 61 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Soverign State of Poverty Knob near Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    This whole argument about them finding out through running your plates just doesn't hold water with me. If he already knows that I have a CCW before he even approaches my vehicle, he'll either be concerned about it or he won't, and he will approach accordingly. Quite honestly, there is a chance in any traffic stop that the driver has a gun. At least the CCW is doing so legally. If he's concerned about a possible confrontation, shouldn't he be more nervous when he runs the plates and a CCW doesn't come up?

BTW, I am curious how they do this. Maybe PA is unique here, but as far as I can remember (it's been a few years since I've transfered a car registration/ title) I'm pretty sure the car registration process didn't include my SS#. So, do they just assume it's the right person based on name and address? I'm a Junior and I used to live with my dad. So at one time there were 2 people with the same name living at the same address.

Just seems like too many variables to be 100% reliable.
    When leo runs your plate, all that comes up is the vehicle registration information. The license that flags you as a CCW holder is the driver's license, and he doesn't need your SSAN. A lot of dispatchers will automatically run the registered owner's D/L info while running the plate so the on-the-street leo can be informed of important information. If someone else is using your car and gets stopped, the leo will run that person's D/L, and any pertinent information will come up.

Quote Originally Posted by WB9IIE View Post
    I have had CCW permits in two states (at different times), and both states that issued the permit said it was state law that you inform a leo that you were in possession of a firearm. It was also stated that it is the OFFICERS discretion wheather or not to temporary take possession of the firearm, but if he wanted to disarm you, he has the right to do so. Easier to let them know up-front to avoid possible conflict. If a leo wants to take temporary possession of your piece, surrender it to him. If all is in order, the leo MUST return your piece to you at the conclusion of the encounter.
    The problem is that many LEO's are not gun people. If you've ever watched Cop's, you've likely seen LEO's struggling with unloading guns they aren't familiar with. If I'm carrying in a Smart Carry I certainly don't want some fool cop reaching in my pants to get my Glock. Los Angeles (last I heard) had an average time on the job for Cops of less than 5 years. Southern Kalifornia is not a gun friendly place.

Someone once posted a link to a Cop forum where they were discussing interactions with CCW holders (unfortunately I've lost the link). There were several arrogant SOB's who bragged of making the lives of CCW holders miserable on any stop where they learned of it. No, I wouldn't condemn all cops because of that, but I don't know the attitude of any cop who might make a traffic stop. It is safer for everyone involved if we practice don't ask, don't tell (assuming that like Kalifornia it isn't required to notify).
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

I was pulled over for speeding last summer. When the LEO came up to the car, I told him I have a CPL (concealed pistol license) and that I had a pistol with me and he said, very nonchalantly "that's fine". No ticket, just a warning!!
    Daily carry: Sig P239 or S&W 3913
    High Noon Horsehide holster
    Black Talon ammo

5. "Here in Michigan buy law you have to tell the Officer and I believe give him your CCW and DL no matter what he is....State, County, Local." you dont actually know??

i cant beleive this thread still is going. i say 'not' to a constitutional granted right.

Hey st: Thread keeps going because everyone drives and those on this forum have CCWPs. Threads get shorter when the subject is about CC in a purse or potential shootouts with the Iraqi army. Just kiddin around on this pre New Years morn. Wish everyone a Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year and may we all just write our thoughts and never have to use them.

7. I was stopped one night on the way home with a good friend. The officer stopped us because my friends vehicle was thought to have tinted windows that were to dark. The officer was unaware they were factory tint. When he came up to the drivers window, he asked my friend for the usual license and registration/insurance. My friend already had his documents ready including his concealed pistol permit and handed over to the officer and stated he was carrying. The officer froze for a quick second as if shocked and then told my friend ok I'll be right back. Before he could walk away, I told him I was carrying as well and handed him my permit. He got really nervous and said I'll be right . A minute later he asked my friend to step out of the car and follow him to the rear of the car. He asked my friend to take out the hand gun and place it on the trunk. The officer then proceeded to attempt to unload the weapon with no success. He then handed the handgun back to my friend and asked him to please unload it. My friend unloaded it and returned back inside the vehicle when the officer then asked me to do the same thing. As I unloaded my handgun and placed it on the trunk he noticed the ammo I was using and made a comment on how what I was using was very good ammo. I found this to be really unusual for an officer to act. While he was talking to me I noticed he was sweating profusely and his hands were shaking as he handled my hand gun. He then asked me to return back inside the vehicle. While awaiting for him to finish his call in back to his dispatcher and run our names through the system as we knew he would do, several police cruisers arrived on the seen. The officers got out an surrounded the vehicle. Their hands were on their weapons. We could not believe what was happening. We actually starting laughing because we just not believe what we were seeing! Needless to say the officers were pumped and waiting for some type of warrant to pop up and make an arrest when the stopping officer gets out of his vehilcle and tells his fellow officers "all clear". They get in their vehicles and depart the seen. He approaches us with our handguns and my friends documents and tells us were all set and thanks us for letting him know we were carrying! Because we told him he wasn't going to give my friend a ticket for dark tints on his windows! Again failing to realize it was factory tint on the windows that was state DMV approved.

Was there a lesson in this? Yes I believe so. All of what everyone has mentioned I think happened. Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. We had nothing to hide and respected the officer enough to give him the heads up. Yes he was nervous and over zealous, but thanked us anyway.

8. "A minute later he asked my friend to step out of the car and follow him to the rear of the car. He asked my friend to take out the hand gun and place it on the trunk. The officer then proceeded to attempt to unload the weapon with no success. He then handed the handgun back to my friend and asked him to please unload it. My friend unloaded it and returned back inside the vehicle when the officer then asked me to do the same thing. As I unloaded my handgun and placed it on the trunk he noticed the ammo I was using and made a comment on how what I was using was very good ammo. I found this to be really unusual for an officer to act. While he was talking to me I noticed he was sweating profusely and his hands were shaking as he handled my hand gun. He then asked me to return back inside the vehicle. While awaiting for him to finish his call in back to his dispatcher and run our names through the system as we knew he would do, several police cruisers arrived on the seen."

arrived on a 'seen'? your story is a lie and you are a liar but if such did happen it seems that is shouldnt because of 'shall not be infringed'. what a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by lpcongas View Post
    I was stopped one night on the way home with a good friend. The officer stopped us because my friends vehicle was thought to have tinted windows that were to dark. The officer was unaware they were factory tint. When he came up to the drivers window, he asked my friend for the usual license and registration/insurance. My friend already had his documents ready including his concealed pistol permit and handed over to the officer and stated he was carrying. The officer froze for a quick second as if shocked and then told my friend ok I'll be right back. Before he could walk away, I told him I was carrying as well and handed him my permit. He got really nervous and said I'll be right . A minute later he asked my friend to step out of the car and follow him to the rear of the car. He asked my friend to take out the hand gun and place it on the trunk. The officer then proceeded to attempt to unload the weapon with no success. He then handed the handgun back to my friend and asked him to please unload it. My friend unloaded it and returned back inside the vehicle when the officer then asked me to do the same thing. As I unloaded my handgun and placed it on the trunk he noticed the ammo I was using and made a comment on how what I was using was very good ammo. I found this to be really unusual for an officer to act. While he was talking to me I noticed he was sweating profusely and his hands were shaking as he handled my hand gun. He then asked me to return back inside the vehicle. While awaiting for him to finish his call in back to his dispatcher and run our names through the system as we knew he would do, several police cruisers arrived on the seen. The officers got out an surrounded the vehicle. Their hands were on their weapons. We could not believe what was happening. We actually starting laughing because we just not believe what we were seeing! Needless to say the officers were pumped and waiting for some type of warrant to pop up and make an arrest when the stopping officer gets out of his vehilcle and tells his fellow officers "all clear". They get in their vehicles and depart the seen. He approaches us with our handguns and my friends documents and tells us were all set and thanks us for letting him know we were carrying! Because we told him he wasn't going to give my friend a ticket for dark tints on his windows! Again failing to realize it was factory tint on the windows that was state DMV approved.

Was there a lesson in this? Yes I believe so. All of what everyone has mentioned I think happened. Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. We had nothing to hide and respected the officer enough to give him the heads up. Yes he was nervous and over zealous, but thanked us anyway.
    You don't say where this occurred. I'll believe you, though, because it sounds like some of the undertrained small town cops one finds in the one-square mile villages around St. Louis. Little more than speed traps with only three to six officers total, they are often manned by officers fresh out of the community college law enforcement programs. To ask a "suspect" to unload his own gun "for the officer's safety" sounds just like the sort of thing one of them would be nervous and green enough to do. At least the one you encountered had a good attitude overall.

10. When leo runs your plate, all that comes up is the vehicle registration information. The license that flags you as a CCW holder is the driver's license, and he doesn't need your SSAN. A lot of dispatchers will automatically run the registered owner's D/L info while running the plate so the on-the-street leo can be informed of important information. If someone else is using your car and gets stopped, the leo will run that person's D/L, and any pertinent information will come up.
    This may be true in a given time and state (perhaps in TN). But I wouldn't take it as gospel everywhere and today. My state won't even let me renew vehicle registration without having the owner's driver's license number. The vehicle's registration is linked to the owner's driver's license (in the case of a married couple, both owners' licenses) And I know my driver's license is linked to my CPL. The information is there. If it's not all automatically linked in your time and place, it soon will be.

The bottom line is, comply with legal requirements, but don't do any more than that. There's a lesson or two in the tale of the cop sweating and fumbling, unable to unload an unfamiliar weapon. Lucky he didn't cause an accidental shooting. The cop may be your friend, he may be your enemy, he may not be a cop (and there may be a reason he was so terrified of the people he theoretically "serves"). We live in dangerous times, and they are getting worse in a hurry. I will not go out of my way to antagonize anyone, nor will I go out of my way to make myself more helpless before a stranger than absolutely necessary.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

11. Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    I will not go out of my way to antagonize anyone, nor will I go out of my way to make myself more helpless before a stranger than absolutely necessary.
    Especially since my lawfully carried firearm as no bearing on whether or not the officer goes home safe at night or not (unless I have to use it to defend them with!) I never could understand how the statement, "They just want to go home at night to their families" has anything at all to do with my gun, yet it gets repeated over and over again to attempt to justify officers messing with our guns and to attempt to justify us inviting the officers to mess with our guns.