Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 62
Page 62 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Put yourself in the cops position.Regardless of how annoying some can be or how much of a bad mood their in,they face hate and danger pretty much every day.They dont know if they have just pulled over an escaped life-sentence criminal who will shoot them asap.

I do get puled over quite a bit,i admit it,i dont like speed limits.I always have my cwp in with the license and insurance to hand them.Some are cocky about it,others dont mind,some even approve of carrying.Whatever the case may be,whether living in a must-inform state or not,its a good idea to let them know.Could be bad IF they were to search,or an anti friend or relative could blurt out "You didnt tell him about your gun."
    I Love Nicki Minaj

And here we go back into the loop again

Quote Originally Posted by .45 Ben View Post
    Put yourself in the cops position.Regardless of how annoying some can be or how much of a bad mood their in,they face hate and danger pretty much every day.They dont know if they have just pulled over an escaped life-sentence criminal who will shoot them asap.
    Since I'm not an "escaped life-sentence criminal who will shoot them asap."
    I don't see how this is germane to the stop. As a law abiding citizen my handgun is not a threat to the police and I conceal in such away that he isn't going to see it unless he pats me down (Whole different level of traffic stop).

Whatever the case may be,whether living in a must-inform state or not,its a good idea to let them know."
    As I have said before IMO the type of permitee that DOES inform is usually the same guy that calls himself a "sheepdog" and feels that his permit makes him some type of auxiliary LEO. They seem to feel that having a permit makes them a member of some elite fraternity and informing the cop is the secret handshake.

If you choose to waive your rights (which is exactly what you do as soon as you open your mouth and start volunteering information) that's your business. I hope it works for you

Could be bad IF they were to search,or an anti friend or relative could blurt out "You didnt tell him about your gun."
    But I'm not going to consent to a search unless a cop has PC or a warrant in which case we've moved in to full on "Officer I wish to exercise my right to remain silent. I would like to speak to my attorney before answering any questions." territory and they probably already know I have a gun
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

4. I have been pulled over three times the first time was lvmpd when he walked up i told him that i had a ccw and was carrying and ask him what he waited me to do he said get your dl -reg and ins i said ok and what about my gun and ccw he told just to sit still hewould be back and that i was a good guy with a ccw the 2nd time was henderson pd had me and my wife get out of the car he took my gun a put it in the back seat of my car and me and my wife stand in front of the police car till he was done then told usto get in the car and drive away the 3rd time was nlvpd the office did not give me time too tell him i had a ccw and when he came back he ask i told him i had a ccw and then he ask to put me in cuffs for his saftery i said ok turned and lrt him cuff me after two hrs i was let go

Quote Originally Posted by britt View Post
    the 3rd time was nlvpd the office did not give me time too tell him i had a ccw and when he came back he ask i told him i had a ccw and then he ask to put me in cuffs for his saftery i said ok turned and lrt him cuff me after two hrs i was let go
    Punctuation and capitalization is our friend. That said, there is more to this story than you're telling, why were you in cuffs for 2 hours?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by britt View Post
    the 3rd time was nlvpd the office did not give me time too tell him i had a ccw and when he came back he ask i told him i had a ccw and then he ask to put me in cuffs for his saftery i said ok turned and lrt him cuff me after two hrs i was let go

There is something severely wrong with this....

again weather i would notify depends on the law. in washington we do not have to notify. dont ask dont tell unless required. but you have to be very careful as some cops think they know everything and that can be dangerous. where i live(60 miles west of spokane) there is some cops who are like that. so there can be some variable however on notification. if in doubt notify and file a complaint later.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    There is something severely wrong with this....
    That is seriously messed up.

9. Ccw

Here in MI it is mandatory, however, I would use discretion in exactly how I would tell the officer, I wouldn't just blurt out "I'm carrying a gun". I would hand over my DL with my CCW and say "Officer, I am licenced to carry and I do have it holstered on my right hip", or something to that effect.

Idaho info

I do know that in Idaho, if you are stopped by a peace officer that once they run your driver's license the dispatcher/911 center will give them the info that you are a concealed weapons permit holder.

I have heard of no problems with concealed weapons holders in our area of south central Idaho. Thanks to all those who serve as peace officers.

11. Just a thought. I asked about this to an officer I know, and I thought his reply was pretty sharp. In Michigan, it is not required to notify if you are not carrying, but probably a good idea, because the CCW is 'attached' to your DL, so when they run it on a traffic stop, now they now have to ask themselves this: "The guy I stopped has a CCW and DID NOT inform me he had a gun, and he is supposed to..." Likely next thought is "...Maybe he doesn't want me to know, which means this guy has something to hide or maybe this is a bad guy. Better be careful, play this by the book instead of cutting him some slack..."

At least in states where it is tied to your license, you have a better chance if you are up front (and less stressful on the LEO) to present both, and let them know whether the weapon is in the vehicle or at home.
    Last edited by Rodemaster; 01-12-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typo