Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 64
Page 64 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    It is the LOGICAL conclusion that finding out such information would be cause for LESS suspicion.
    There you go using that darn logic again NavyLT. Shame on you for using logic in a thread where CCW Badges have been mentioned. Please remember that whenever and whereever CCW Badges are mentioned, the discusion devolves into complete sillyness. Such discusions no longer have the need for logic, reason or wisdom.

3. I have my drivers license and CCP together in my bilfold and when I pull one I pull both and when I hand one I hand both. No surprises no faults. No sense in handing one and then have them come back to the car and have to ask for the second one once they run your records. Save them the trouble and show them you have nothing to hide. Common courtesy.

4. 2nd Amendment

I certainly never volunteer any information that isn't relevant to the situation. A simple traffic stop has nothing to do with me being armed or not.

I read a lot of this thread and am very discouraged. I expected the folks here to be the citizens that are going to HELP defend our rights, especially 2A. Some of you even quote things from the constitution and bill of rights. But I am appalled by the willingness to surrender rights that some of you don't even know you have or certainly don't understand!

I understand those of you that are former LEOs because I haven't yet found a LEO that thoroughly understands our constitutional rights. LEOs don't deserve any more "respect" as you all put it than the grocery checker or the garbage man.

Again, I am just discouraged with the responses here.

5. The MRS.

My husband and I acquired our CCW permits via Frontsight in NV, so it's effective in 30 states. We live in DE and are pursuing our DE CCW licenses, but are wondering if anyone knows what the laws are here as to "declaring" to an LEO that we have a permit and are carrying?
    Having several relatives as LEO's in other states, I would consider their safety and let the LEO know "IF" he/she should require that I get out of the vehicle, but probably not until then. They could tell by my plate without checking it out before hand anyway as it's an NRA specialty license!

Quote Originally Posted by DMH102010 View Post
    My husband and I acquired our CCW permits via Frontsight in NV, so it's effective in 30 states. We live in DE and are pursuing our DE CCW licenses, but are wondering if anyone knows what the laws are here as to "declaring" to an LEO that we have a permit and are carrying?
    Having several relatives as LEO's in other states, I would consider their safety and let the LEO know "IF" he/she should require that I get out of the vehicle, but probably not until then. They could tell by my plate without checking it out before hand anyway as it's an NRA specialty license!
    So you have a NV permit? You do realize as a DE resident it does you no good in DE, right?

DE is not a must inform state.

I've not waded through this entire thread, so this may have been stated already.

In South Carolina, as a condition to obtain the CWP you agree to offer the information to any police officer that you're involved with in a traffic stop situation. There's no other time in which that is required.

I suspect that the purpose is to prevent a trigger happy cop from killing you. Cops are not authorized to "secure your weapon" upon receipt of the information, so if you're not engaged in another prohibited activity, you're unlikely to be accosted here.
    Pat
    Southern National Congress
    NRA life, GOA Life, SAF life

Quote Originally Posted by Pat H. View Post
    I've not waded through this entire thread, so this may have been stated already.

In South Carolina, as a condition to obtain the CWP you agree to offer the information to any police officer that you're involved with in a traffic stop situation. There's no other time in which that is required.

I suspect that the purpose is to prevent a trigger happy cop from killing you. Cops are not authorized to "secure your weapon" upon receipt of the information, so if you're not engaged in another prohibited activity, you're unlikely to be accosted here.
    Perhaps you should have waded through the thread. If you had, you'd know it was not only covered, but that your (bolded) statement is incorrect.

23-31-215 (K) very specifically states;

A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty-five dollars.

S.C. Code of Laws Title 23 Chapter 31 Firearms - www.scstatehouse.gov-LPITS

It says nothing about a traffic stop. It says nothing about "no other time". If you are a CWP holder, perhaps it's time for you to familiarize yourself with the law.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Perhaps you should have waded through the thread. If you had, you'd know it was not only covered, but that your (bolded) statement is incorrect.

23-31-215 (K) very specifically states;

A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty-five dollars.

S.C. Code of Laws Title 23 Chapter 31 Firearms - www.scstatehouse.gov-LPITS

It says nothing about a traffic stop. It says nothing about "no other time". If you are a CWP holder, perhaps it's time for you to familiarize yourself with the law.
    I'm not interested in a pissing match here, but you'll find that it is as I stated in reality. In point of fact, during my somewhat long life, I've never been asked for my DL or other ID at any other time.

At what other time are you going to be asked for an ID? During a stroll down main street?
    Pat
    Southern National Congress
    NRA life, GOA Life, SAF life

10. Quote Originally Posted by Pele View Post
    Suppose you're out for a drive and you've got a tail light out... Or you're doing a bit above the speed limit and you just had a nice set of headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers put on your car...

Regardless, you're now on the side of the road with a blue light special behind you.

Officer comes to the door and asks for your license and registration... Do you inform him that you are in possession of a concealed handgun or not?

Does the matter that it's the sherrif, a local county officer, or a state trooper change your option?

I think the DMV here flags your plates when you get a CCW. I've always thought it's a good idea to inform.

"Officer, I understand you go through a lot of risk in your line of duty, I would like to minimize this risk and inform you that I am in possession of a Concealed Weapon permit and I do have the weapon on my person (or in the car) The weapon is on my left hip (or next to the emergency brake handle in the center console). My license and registration are in my left front pocket. How would you like to proceed?"
    In Oklahoma it is the law and required..

Quote Originally Posted by Pat H. View Post
    I'm not interested in a pissing match here, but you'll find that it is as I stated in reality. In point of fact, during my somewhat long life, I've never been asked for my DL or other ID at any other time.

At what other time are you going to be asked for an ID? During a stroll down main street?
    Are you refuting the facts as supported by 23-31?

It doesn't matter what your personal experience has been, you made a statement that you are unsable to support. And until you can cite a statute that says somethig different, your previous statement will continue to be wrong.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."