Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 65
Page 65 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat H. View Post
    I'm not interested in a pissing match here, but you'll find that it is as I stated in reality. In point of fact, during my somewhat long life, I've never been asked for my DL or other ID at any other time.

At what other time are you going to be asked for an ID? During a stroll down main street?

Just be cause it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't. If you have an official encounter w/ an SC cop you must inform him you are armed
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Sorry Pat H---You are wrong. Just read the law. I agree with you on your point of fact---I am 69 and have never had an occasion to show my CCWP for traffic or otherwise. Then again I obey all traffic laws when I am CC and do not frequent or participate in any events or locations where I either "need" my CCW or where I might have any kind of confrontation with an LEO. If such an occasion should arise, even if it is a chance meeting with an LEO, who has a question for me in the conduct of any kind of business that does not even have to do with me--I am obligated to tell him I am CC; if I am not CC it would seem to be a moot point, although with computers and such at a traffic stop, he may, after running my plates and driver's license already know about my CCWP and I would show it to him but inform him that I am not CC--I consider it a courtesy to a person in a dangerous job.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Pat H. View Post
    At what other time are you going to be asked for an ID? During a stroll down main street?
    I was asked to produce ID by police officers for eating dinner in a local restaurant at 6:00pm. Is that close enough?

I'm with you Lucenut. I've consistently advised to not volunteer information where not mandated - and even the states which mandate preemptive disclosure would be likely defeated in higher courts if the money and energy existed to push it. I'm wondering if it's a generational thing - perhaps many younger members aren't as aware of the principal of giving a little will lead to giving a lot, from a freedoms perspective. The history nuts are the most fervent to appreciate the "holding" of our rights and detest compromising in the name of "respecting" the LEO because the facts and hard truth of the subtlety by which our original freedoms deteriorated are ever in their minds. Frankly, I think LEOs have less respect for those soooooo willing to spill their guts about carrying when the circumstance is nothing more than a simple traffic stop.

6. The Mrs.

Replying to inquiry about CCW permit - we do not have a Nevada permit, but a Utah one since our course @ Frontsight in Nevada. For Nevada you have to be there in person to pick it up etc. They've an arrangement with Utah and so our's is a Utah one. It is recognized in Delaware BUT as in most states, you need one from the state that you reside in as I understand it, thus my statement that we are pursuing a DE CCW permit.

Thanks for the info about not having to inform.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I was asked to produce ID by police officers for eating dinner in a local restaurant at 6:00pm. Is that close enough?
    I'll bite. What for?
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I'll bite. What for?

He was open carrying. He refused to show ID too as I recall
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

Hey antietam: I guess you have your opinions and others, like myself, have ours. Personally, if I was an LEO and you gave me lip because I stopped you for breaking the law, you would end up spending a great deal of time waiting for my senior officer to arrive on the scene. If that is fine with you it would be fine with me.

10. It's people that give LEO's a hard time when it is unneccessary that make LEO's have attitudes towards all CCWP Carriers. It is the LEO's job to keep us safe when at all possible even to the point of putting their lives on the line to do so. It is far easier and more respectful to just cooperate with them in the course of them doing their duty. With all of the shootings that take place in resturants if I was LEO I might want to know your intentions after you completed your meal. If you have nothing to hide PROVE IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey antietam: I guess you have your opinions and others, like myself, have ours. Personally, if I was an LEO and you gave me lip because I stopped you for breaking the law, you would end up spending a great deal of time waiting for my senior officer to arrive on the scene. If that is fine with you it would be fine with me.

I don't see where Antietam said anything about giving the cops lip.

Asserting your rights isn't giving the cop lip Iím not saying be rude to the police be very polite but firm,

If I get pulled over I ask the cop why he pulled me over before he ever opens his mouth; it ends the getcha gotcha games before they ever start. Anything bigger than a traffic stop and it would behoove me to avail myself of every protection offered me by the Constitution. How hard is it to say officer I want to speak to a lawyer before I answer any questions?