Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 66
Page 66 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey antietam: I guess you have your opinions and others, like myself, have ours. Personally, if I was an LEO and you gave me lip because I stopped you for breaking the law, you would end up spending a great deal of time waiting for my senior officer to arrive on the scene. If that is fine with you it would be fine with me.
    Well I guess it's a good thing you are not LE then. We need less officers who don't go on power trips because someone didn't give them the respect they deserve and bow to their almighty athoritay!!!

I would hope that your senior officer would write you up for wasting his time and inform the person you kept waiting that they should file a complaint for unlawful detainment.

Quote Originally Posted by softbaitmaker View Post
    It's people that give LEO's a hard time when it is unneccessary that make LEO's have attitudes towards all CCWP Carriers. It is the LEO's job to keep us safe when at all possible even to the point of putting their lives on the line to do so. It is far easier and more respectful to just cooperate with them in the course of them doing their duty. With all of the shootings that take place in resturants if I was LEO I might want to know your intentions after you completed your meal. If you have nothing to hide PROVE IT!!
    What makes standing up for our rights unneccessary?? Update: It is not the LEO's job to keep us safe. It is OUR job to keep us safe. LE has no legal duty to protect the individual. Your right about one thing. It is far easier to bow down and do everything your told. It takes a man, or woman, with fortitude, a love for freedom and a sense of personal responsibility to stand up for rights and not cower before a thug with a badge.

Your last statement "If you have nothing to hide PROVE IT!" is absolutely sickening. If you can't see the utter failure and anti freedom mentality in that statement,,,, I don't know what.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post

Your last statement "If you have nothing to hide PROVE IT!" is absolutely sickening. If you can't see the utter failure and anti freedom mentality in that statement,,,, I don't know what.
    The correct way of thinking in that case is "I have nothing to hide, now prove I do". It isn't your job the prove you are innocent, it is their job to prove you aren't. Many people volunteer too much info that can trip you up.

I didn't read all the posts on this thread but I read enough of them to know that some of ya'll need to think about what you're doing. Beau has it right. Not meaning any disrespect to LEO's but it's none of their damn business as long as I am in my vehicle. If they ask me to step out, I will probably tell them then, depending on what I'm getting out for. Unless the law mandates that I do, I won't.
    Somebody said that LEO's don't like surprises so you should tell them. BS! If they don't like surprises, keep your mouth shut and there won't be any. Many cops don't care but there's a great many also that immediately assume a distrustful, defensive posture and you become a suspect.
    Someone else said that the cop thanked you for telling him about the gun. That's fine but what if he had been one of the many on a power trip that thinks civilians shouldn't have guns? If you're carrying a gun and they never find out, why would it surprise them? If I DON'T tell them, they won't thank me. They'll just tell me have a nice day. They will be on their way and I'll be on mine. It doesn't make any day any brighter for a cop to tell me thanks for telling him I have a gun.

I have found that most instructors that recommend that you tell a cop are former LEO's themselves.
    Colts and Kimbers are what you show your friends...
    GLOCKS are what you show your enemies!

Southwest Shooting Authority

I have been pulled over one time since recieving my CCW permit. I informed the deputy sheriff when he came to my window that I was "Legally Armed". He asked me where the weapon was I told him holstered at 4 o'clock and he said just keep it there and give me your license and registration. Which I did very slowly and he went to his car and wrote me a seat belt ticket $25 which was much better than the 15 MPH over the speed limit ticket would have been. And then told me to have a nice day. Nothing at all about seeing my permit or my weapon.

Kelcarry:
    Not only did I not say anything about giving the LEO lip, I didn't even suggest it. I don't give anybody lip, even you Kelcarry! lol - It's real simple, know the law and don't do anything more than than follow it [anything more] includes volunteering CCW information. Based upon these words, and reading nothing else into it, tell me what the problem is with this stance.

none

BowhuntnHoosier:
    What's your main point? Is it informing the LEO, with no solicitation, that you're packing and rejoicing that he ignored the 15mph over? That's a temporary kumbaya but a weak constitutional frame. I prefer a strong constitutional frame over trade offs and implied acceptance into a "spill your guts" club. If indeed, the LEO showed favortism to you because you were LEGALLY carrying and unnecessarily informed him, that's corruption because it suggests that he's inclined to do the opposite when encountered by a different CCW citizen, breaking no laws but preferring silence, wanting no more than to continue down the road without bogus detainment.
    Last edited by antietam; 01-30-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Treo:
    re your view ... If I get pulled over I ask the cop why he pulled me over before he ever opens his mouth; it ends the getcha gotcha games before they ever start ... Excellent! I'm going to adopt this method, thanks.

What's your main point? Is it informing the LEO, with no solicitation, that you're packing and rejoicing that he ignored the 15mph over? That's a temporary kumbaya but a weak constitutional frame. I prefer a strong constitutional frame over trade offs and implied acceptance into a "spill your guts" club. If indeed, the LEO showed favortism to you because you were LEGALLY carrying and unnecessarily informed him, that's corruption because it suggests that he's inclined to do the opposite when encountered by a different CCW citizen, breaking no laws but preferring silence, wanting no more than to continue down the road without bogus detainment.

Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    BowhuntnHoosier:
    I am simply stating my personal experience with LEO. If you do not agree with my actions, that is fine. I am sure a lot do not agree with yours. I believe the next time I am in the situation I will do the exact same thing over. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    Treo:
    re your view ... If I get pulled over I ask the cop why he pulled me over before he ever opens his mouth; it ends the getcha gotcha games before they ever start ... Excellent! I'm going to adopt this method, thanks.

Be polite when using this tack

"What seems to be the problem Officer?" Or "Good evening officer what was the reason you pulled me over?"

If they get "Do you know why I pulled you over?" out tell them "I have no idea Officer. Why did you pull me over?"
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment