Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 69
Page 69 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

1. Quote Originally Posted by rayven View Post
    This is precisely why I *DON'T* inform. If I'm not engaged in criminal activity, I have no reason to even have a conversation with a LEO. Why inform him that I'm carrying -- so he can possibly freak out and think I'm out to kill him?

To me as a private citizen, it is my duty to hold LEOs accountable to the laws and rules -- just like they do to us. One of those rules is the right of citizens to live freely without government interference. If I'm carrying legally, a LEO can't do anything about it, so why create a possible negative situation where none existed?
    Just not a very good attitude...... If your home,(license State) requires, then by all means, comply.... If you are away, and not sure, it's a good thing and a courtesy, to give them DL and CCL... It didn't hurt anything if it's not a shall present State, and saved your butt if it turns out it is/was......

3. Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I usually just hang my badge out the window as they are walking up. It makes them feel better.
    This is mine. I think the LEOs find it endearing...

I live in TX and CHL's that are carrying are required to provide both IDs when asked for the DL. I was stopped recently for not having an up to date inspection sticker. I was not carrying and did not notify. The officer returned to her vehicle to radio in and then came back. She asked if I was carrying and I said no. She then asked if I had a CHL and I said yes. That was the end of it.

A great big thank you to CraigSmiley for at least saying something responsible in response to some of the very angry 2A/constitutionalists out there who seem to have lost their way when it comes to common sense, being a responsible citizen, and understanding what that all means.

Inform or not to the officer?

Sometimes they will notice my badge and ask if I have a firearm, without exception they always ask me if they can fiddle around with it! I don't ask them to fiddle with theres, they become childlike when I have to tell them no. they like children need for me to explane to them that I pose no threat to them and have to draw a metophore for them ie;"If you were pined down by a bad guy and me John Q came upon the scene whom do you suppose I'm going to defend? If your answer is the bad guy I'll let you "check" my Baretta. As fate has it I did save an officers life in 1982. I'm no hero I was at the right place at the right time, I don't reveal this to any police officers, it's between me, God and the Palm Beach Post times, not in that order. In closing for the police officers if ya have a need to know and want an honest answer don't ask us to hand over our very dangerous loaded unfamiliar firearm to you. Peace Out Barry L.

I noticed a guy advertising to sell gun locks, you can go to any police dept. and the will give you one no charge:

Quote Originally Posted by barlitt8 View Post
    Sometimes they will notice my badge and ask if I have a firearm, without exception they always ask me if they can fiddle around with it! I don't ask them to fiddle with theres, they become childlike when I have to tell them no. they like children need for me to explane to them that I pose no threat to them and have to draw a metophore for them ie;"If you were pined down by a bad guy and me John Q came upon the scene whom do you suppose I'm going to defend? If your answer is the bad guy I'll let you "check" my Baretta. As fate has it I did save an officers life in 1982. I'm no hero I was at the right place at the right time, I don't reveal this to any police officers, it's between me, God and the Palm Beach Post times, not in that order. In closing for the police officers if ya have a need to know and want an honest answer don't ask us to hand over our very dangerous loaded unfamiliar firearm to you. Peace Out Barry L.
    Baretta?

Sure thing, Tony...
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

9. LEO Rights

I'm sure your LEO friends would like if every citizen stripped naked and spilled their guts whenever stopped. I will choose to KEEP my liberty thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by softbaitmaker View Post
    I have two brothers that are well seasoned police officers and a Grandson that is a County Sheriff deputy and I have asked all 3 of them how they feel about this issue. Their replies where all very similar. They prefer that they are made aware of the fact that you do have a CWP and that you are packing. They want you to produce your license, Registration, CWP and proof of insurance all at once when they ask for it so my advice is keep it all together. They know all they are going to learn before they ever approach your vehicle except proof of insurance. They also know if you have any out standing warrants. They will treat you with as much respect and you show them. So just be respectful and you will receive respect in return.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    A great big thank you to CraigSmiley for at least saying something responsible in response to some of the very angry 2A/constitutionalists out there who seem to have lost their way when it comes to common sense, being a responsible citizen, and understanding what that all means.
    REALLY? Hmmm. I guess these guys were the height of irresponsible citizens, with no common sense at all then, having no understanding of what that means then, eh?

Shame, shame on us for being angry constitutionalists standing up against government authority when it oversteps the bounds of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by softbaitmaker View Post
    It's people that give LEO's a hard time when it is unneccessary that make LEO's have attitudes towards all CCWP Carriers. It is the LEO's job to keep us safe when at all possible even to the point of putting their lives on the line to do so. It is far easier and more respectful to just cooperate with them in the course of them doing their duty. With all of the shootings that take place in resturants if I was LEO I might want to know your intentions after you completed your meal. If you have nothing to hide PROVE IT!!
    Surely you jest! Why would you have to "prove" anything? Do you not care for freedom?
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Page 69 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast