Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 7
Page 7 of 117 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Pele View Post
    Suppose you're out for a drive and you've got a tail light out... Or you're doing a bit above the speed limit and you just had a nice set of headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers put on your car...

Regardless, you're now on the side of the road with a blue light special behind you.

Officer comes to the door and asks for your license and registration... Do you inform him that you are in possession of a concealed handgun or not?

Does the matter that it's the sherrif, a local county officer, or a state trooper change your option?

I think the DMV here flags your plates when you get a CCW. I've always thought it's a good idea to inform.

"Officer, I understand you go through a lot of risk in your line of duty, I would like to minimize this risk and inform you that I am in possession of a Concealed Weapon permit and I do have the weapon on my person (or in the car) The weapon is on my left hip (or next to the emergency brake handle in the center console). My license and registration are in my left front pocket. How would you like to proceed?"
    Your CCW DOES come back attached to your plates. I know a lot of LEO's and they really do appreciate it when you give them a heads up and let them know your one of the good guy's. Not a good thing seeing the officers face turn white when he finds that you may/ may not have a weapon in the vehicle. Hand your drivers permit and your CCW permit to the officer at the same time and inform them whether or not you have a weapon in the vehicle. Eases the mind and does not come as a surprise when your plates come back. many run plates before the get out of the cruiser anyway, your actions will help ratchet douwn a possibly tense situation.

Your CCW DOES come back attached to your plates
    Depends on where you are. I am pretty confident that it is not in Kalifornia. I don't believe it is in Idaho either. I hold carry permits from Kalifornia (resident), Idaho (non-resident with local address), and Utah (non-resident). I am sure none are tied to my plates and doubt that any are tied to my DL.

Some states require notification of the police and some don't. I would always follow the law.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

This whole argument about them finding out through running your plates just doesn't hold water with me. If he already knows that I have a CCW before he even approaches my vehicle, he'll either be concerned about it or he won't, and he will approach accordingly. Quite honestly, there is a chance in any traffic stop that the driver has a gun. At least the CCW is doing so legally. If he's concerned about a possible confrontation, shouldn't he be more nervous when he runs the plates and a CCW doesn't come up?

BTW, I am curious how they do this. Maybe PA is unique here, but as far as I can remember (it's been a few years since I've transfered a car registration/ title) I'm pretty sure the car registration process didn't include my SS#. So, do they just assume it's the right person based on name and address? I'm a Junior and I used to live with my dad. So at one time there were 2 people with the same name living at the same address.

Just seems like too many variables to be 100% reliable.

Smile

Oklahoma says this

It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact
    that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant
    to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person
    first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state
    or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during
    the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. No person
    shall be required to identify himself or herself as a concealed handgun
    licensee when no handgun is in the personís possession or in any
    vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger. Any violation
    of the provisions of this subsection shall, upon conviction, be a
    misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding Five Hundred Dollars
    ($500.00), by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed
    ninety (90) days, or by both such fine and imprisonment. In addition to
    any criminal prosecution for a violation of the provisions of this
    subsection, the licensee shall be subject to a six-month suspension of
    the license and an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00), upon a
    hearing and determination by the Bureau that the person is in violation
    of the provisions of this subsection.
    "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46
    NRA Member G36 G17 Kel-tec P11

Wasn't Oklahoma that was looking to change the law because it only applied to law abiding license holders and did nothing to those who actually were a threat to the cop and society who was illegally carrying? It seems to me it was some state and I'm thinking Oklahoma (or Tennessee or ;-) ).
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

I havnt heard anything about that here it might b TN. I myself love OK's gun laws.
    "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46
    NRA Member G36 G17 Kel-tec P11

8. Quote Originally Posted by Pele View Post
    Suppose you're out for a drive and you've got a tail light out... Or you're doing a bit above the speed limit and you just had a nice set of headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers put on your car...

Regardless, you're now on the side of the road with a blue light special behind you.

Officer comes to the door and asks for your license and registration... Do you inform him that you are in possession of a concealed handgun or not?

Does the matter that it's the sherrif, a local county officer, or a state trooper change your option?

I think the DMV here flags your plates when you get a CCW. I've always thought it's a good idea to inform.

"Officer, I understand you go through a lot of risk in your line of duty, I would like to minimize this risk and inform you that I am in possession of a Concealed Weapon permit and I do have the weapon on my person (or in the car) The weapon is on my left hip (or next to the emergency brake handle in the center console). My license and registration are in my left front pocket. How would you like to proceed?"
    I am a NC concealed pistol instructor, And yes, here in NC the Number on your concealed permit is identical to your drivers license number, so if you don't tell them they are going to know anyways. But it is not adjoined to your plate.

I travel a lot and due to the fact that the laws vary from state to state, I just think that it's simply a good idea to notify the LEO that you have a CCW and tell them whether or not you have a gun on your person or in the vehicle. What harm can it do to provide this information? As some have indicated, it may make the LEO feel more secure.
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by gvaldeg1 View Post
    I travel a lot and due to the fact that the laws vary from state to state, I just think that it's simply a good idea to notify the LEO that you have a CCW and tell them whether or not you have a gun on your person or in the vehicle. What harm can it do to provide this information? As some have indicated, it may make the LEO feel more secure.
    To me, it isn't my duty to inform the LEO that I'm carrying. I intend him no harm, so why escalate the possibility he'll freak out?

At the same time, if he's stopping me for whatever reason, he's the one restricting my freedoms. I personally feel no need to provide any more information than is legally required.

Whether or not I'm carrying is honestly none of the LEO's business, and since in my home state (PA) I am not required to inform, I don't feel it necessary.

Least we forget that LEO's are people doing their job, they deserve the same common curiousy as anyone else does when performing a job. Most I know are thankfull when it's done and it shows them that you have respect for the dangerous job that they perform. Now i am the first person to say that one is not around when you need them, but if you ever should need them they just might remember the courtousy that was shown and repay it.

Page 7 of 117 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast