Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 70
Page 70 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by CraigSmiley View Post
    Just not a very good attitude...... If your home,(license State) requires, then by all means, comply.... If you are away, and not sure, it's a good thing and a courtesy, to give them DL and CCL... It didn't hurt anything if it's not a shall present State, and saved your butt if it turns out it is/was......
    You need to always know the state laws of the state in which you are carrying. You are a fool if you do not.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

I have been pulled over a few times while CCW. Routinely I will hand the Officer my DL and CCP while keeping both hands visible and making no sudden moves.
    It has actually eased a potentially anxiety ridden situation and mostly received thanks from the LEO. Let's face it with my NRA Benefactor license plate holder starring at him/her duhhhhh
    did he have to ask??????
    I would certainly not approach their vehicle realizing they would see that as a threat.
    Only once many years ago I was requested to take out the magazine and place the weapon in the trunk until they left.
    That struck me as unusual because why would someone want me to handle my firearm and work the action in front of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Damon44 View Post
    That struck me as unusual because why would someone want me to handle my firearm and work the action in front of them?
    Unusual? Not really.

This pretty well proves that the officer wasn't concerned about their own safety or yours. They were only concerned with their ability to lord their power over you and actually made the contact less safe for both parties.

What a surprise.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

My stand on this is well known, informing the officer that I am armed doesn't benefit me. CSPD generates a lot of revenue from traffic citations they do NOT (in my experience) give warnings. I don't believe showing my permit will stop them from ticketing me. Since I never inform unless specifically asked I've never been able to validate my theory.

An Officer can't tell at a glance that I'm a good guy any more than I can tell he's not an anti that doesn't think any civilian should be armed ( I DO have direct experience W/ this that I can draw data from).

Therefore it is in my best interest (IMO) not to inform, unless asked or the Officer asks me to step out of the vehicle.

If I'm a "certified goodguy" the mere posession of a firearm by me does NOT threaten the safety of the officer and should be of no concern.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

6. Thumbs up AR - Can wait until asked for ID

Arkansas does require notification when you are carrying, when the officer asks the licencee for identifiction.

AR Administrative Rules, CHAPTER 3. License Possession Requirements, Rule 3.2 Contact With Law Enforcement , (b) In any official contact with law enforcement, if the licensee IS in possession of a handgun, when the officer asks the licensee for identification (driver’s license, or personal information, such as name and date of birth), the licensee shall notify the officer that he or she holds a concealed handgun carry license and that he or she has a handgun in his or her possession.

When carrying in another state, I learn their rule before I go.

Often the office might not ask for information. I sit quietly with my hands at 10 & 2 on the steering wheel and wait until he tells me why he pulled me over. I expect the modern databases have me flagged as carrying. If I am asked to reach near my weapon, I will inform the officer before I move and ask him for additional instructions. I usually carry on my person and getting my wallet could be considered a furtive movement.

I've talked to Police officers in several states-movement in the vehicle makes them nervous. They all said to stay quietly in the vehicle with hands in plain sight.

I am a supporter of flexyourrights.org - watch their free videos on youtube. In my book, quiet is King.
    Last edited by pj_england; 02-10-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: add citation of AR Admin Rules

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    So....by not telling them...they will then not treat me with respect?
    I agree - some imply like the only way to be respectful to an LEO is to volunteer information even when not mandated by law and during routine traffic issues - not weapon issues. This mindset has to do with raising the status of government at the expense of the citizen. If it is legal for me to carry concealed why do I want to do more than the law demands that I do? I suppose I should also offer to pay more taxes than demanded of me - just so the IRS feels my respect for it!

8. i tell em nothing! if ask than i would i realy carry unless going to range. but if i get pulled over i am not happy. i don t like cops anyways. most of em got there job threw politics. and the power goes to there head. some are decent. but way jobs are now . only way get the jobs here is taking test than kissing a politions ass or knownin some one.

9. Rayven, Treo, Antietam, Navy LT, HP-hobo and a few others, you have changed my mind.

I have had traffic stops in the past and was courteous and polite in every case, sometimes I got ticketed, others not.

Before reading your arguments, I probably would have given the LEO my DL and CCW together, even though in NV it's not required.

I"ve never asked why I was stopped, before they asked if I knew why they stopped me, that"s changing too.

I feel that my rights are being inched away in order for an LEO to be more comfortable.

If the state says I don"t have to disclose (here the CCW is tied to vehicle registration)
    I'll just follow the law like so many have recommended.

Thanks to all of the intelligent posts on both sides for the help.

Rick

Some of us are above the law and we know who we are - LEO?

Hey NavyLT: You and the rest of your 2A cabal have stated your case. Smart remarks are stupid and playing word games. I respect LEOs and what they do-you have a different opinion--fine--I don't know you and you don't know me---fine. Apparently where you live, your town hires cowboys with no sense and no ability other than to hassle. Maybe if I lived there I would feel the same way but where I live and the ones that I have gotten to know I have no problem obeying the law (no tickets and a requirement to show CCWP if stopped) and respecting their position in my community.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey NavyLT: You and the rest of your 2A cabal have stated your case. Smart remarks are stupid and playing word games. I respect LEOs and what they do-you have a different opinion--fine--I don't know you and you don't know me---fine. Apparently where you live, your town hires cowboys with no sense and no ability other than to hassle. Maybe if I lived there I would feel the same way but where I live and the ones that I have gotten to know I have no problem obeying the law (no tickets and a requirement to show CCWP if stopped) and respecting their position in my community.
    Just to be clear no one is advocating not showing your permit when you are required to do so by law and certainly none of the 2A Cabal is advocating lying to the police when asked.

What we are positing is simply that the fact that I am armed is irrelevant to the the stop.

Of all the states that allow CC only 10 require you to notify the officer during a police interaction. I think that's significant, we're at, what 45- 47 states that allow ccw? and only 10 feel that Officer safety is enhanced by requiring notification. In many states (Colorado included) no permit is required to carry a concealed weapon in your vehicle, how would a law requiring notification by permit holders affect them? More significantly, how would such a law affect the thousands of criminal who ignore every other gun law on the books on a daily basis?

I can't see how informing a police officer you're heeled can do anything but escalate tensions, especially if you win the lottery and inform an officer who thinks anyone with a CCW is a wannabe cop.

There's no benefit to me if I voluntarily inform so I don't. I'm required to produce my permit and a valid I.D if I'm asked that would be the only time I would do so.

I also think threads like this don't change people's minds at all, sheep are sheep it's in their nature it's who they are.

Why is that so hard to grasp?

How do you like my new sig line?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 70 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast