Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 72
Page 72 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    This varies by state law too. In Washington, I only have to produce my CPL when it is requested by the officer, and I am never under any legal obligation to inform them that I am carrying. I also am never under any legal obligation to voluntarily produce an ID card or driver's license (except when actually in control of a vehicle).
    Colorado is the same but as I said, I'm on foot and it's an official detainment they are going to pat me down so I might as well tell them I'm armed upfront since I'm going to shutting up immediately afterword anyway
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I wonder if they'll let us start a group here called the "2A Cabal"
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

4. why take a chance

In SC we're only required to notify an officer if we are carrying when we get pulled over but why take a chance...just show him your CWP along with your license.

Quote Originally Posted by articblue3 View Post
    In SC we're only required to notify an officer if we are carrying when we get pulled over but why take a chance...just show him your CWP along with your license.
    No!

No, no, no, no, no!

No matter how many times someone repeats this incorrect information in this thread and on this forum, it is still absolutley, 100%, wrong.

You do not have to notify only because you're "pulled over".

Driving or being "pulled over" is not a requirement for having to notify.

The law is petty simple. 23-31-215 (K) very specifically states;

A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty-five dollars.

S.C. Code of Laws Title 23 Chapter 31 Firearms - www.scstatehouse.gov-LPITS

It says nothing about a traffic stop. It says nothing about no other time. If you are a CWP holder, perhaps it's time for you to familiarize yourself with the law.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

6. There's no such thing as a "Routine" Thaffic Stop

In some Jurisdictions it is the Law.

Otherwise: It's my policy to give the Cop as little information as possible.

And he might not be stopping you for a minor Traffic Violation. It could easily be a case of mistaken identity and he's going to arrest you for the Murder you're unaware just happened down the road. If you say anything remotely resembling "gun" it could end badly.

I figure that if they want to know they'll ask. I will answer any and all questions as truthfully and as briefly as is possible. But: Why bother giving them more information than they need or want.

Just give me the ticket. I'll say thank you. And then we both get on with our lives with as little drama as possible. It's not the 1st ticket I've ever gotten!

Keep in mind that some cops are dumber than a bag of rocks.

The briefer the encounter the better.

I scrolled through some of the responses to this post and saw that some had long legalese speeches and I think that's the wrong approach. The more you say the more chance you have of being misunderstood!!!

If you feel you must notify (believe me. I understand) I suggest you have your Drivers License and Carry Permit ready with your window already down and hand it to the cop immediately. Or more accurately let him take it from your hand.

Most Cops are already worrying about whether they're gonna be shot or not.

Many believe this is the Quickest was to put the Cop at ease.

His seeing it immediately establishes that you don't have a felony record or you wouldn't have passed the background check to get the Carry Permit.

And: If he asks why you gave him your Carry Permit you can always say you thought it was required by law. Further establishing your cred as a Law Abiding Citizen.

OK. In NC one is expected to give the nice Officer a "heads up". Having just recently gone through my "once in a decade" traffic pullover and nearly frightened the poor lad to death when I informed him..... I'm begining to wonder if it is worth the effort?

Except..... and here's my question.... it would be just my luck to have the fact that I have a CC permit "tagged" to my lisence number at the "central files". I have no information one way or the other. Does anyone know for sure?

I'd hate NOT to tell the nice Officer and then have him "bust" me for NOT informing him.... and probably lose my CC permit.

Ya GOTTA love jumping through the hoops to keep a "right"!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Except..... and here's my question.... it would be just my luck to have the fact that I have a CC permit "tagged" to my lisence number at the "central files". I have no information one way or the other. Does anyone know for sure?

"!

GG
    Yes, your NC CC permit is noted on your vehicle registration, and on your Driver's License. (Note that your CC permit number is the same as your DL number)

brolin1911a1:
    I appreciate your good LEO experience and hope future encounters will be as benevolent. You come across as an above average approachable person and the LEO probably sensed that and felt like loosening up with you, conversationally. Your general opinion of LEO encounters with CCW-holders is as valid as mine. But, here's mine: I worked in radio communications engineering, FCC-Licensed, for over thirty years and law enforcement agencies, from municipal to FBI, US Marshal Service and Secret Service, comprised 80% of my career, fixing their radio "stuff." I was closer to them than I wanted to be. Most were clams, verbally and personality-wise. A few were real - guys and gals who seemed to know why they chose the job and appreciated the reverence and solemnity of the constitution, not like some – even CCWs on this forum, who mock constitutionalists and whose own patriotism leans more towards the old KGB tattlers upon their own family members to get ahead than honest, historically grounded, lovers of the concept of the US Constitution. The key words are: "most" and "few." I found when the "clams" eventually opened up that their view of the public was obscene - they viewed the "public" whom they were sworn to "protect and serve," as inferior, and adjectives used I won't repeat. There exists an element, a dynamic if you will, which attracts a sobering number of social dysfunctionals to the law enforcement industry - and please know that it is an "industry!"
    Last edited by antietam; 02-08-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling

You're suggesting that we, 24x7 condition ourselves to submit to the mind(s) of stressed LEOs under the "GUISE" of his/her "SAFETY" at the expense of the the golden and truthful assumption of US citizenship.

11. Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    You're suggesting that we, 24x7 condition ourselves to submit to the mind(s) of stressed LEOs under the "GUISE" of his/her "SAFETY" at the expense of the the golden and truthful assumption of US citizenship.
    I've decided that upon seeing a police officer, I will approach him with my hands over my head, introduce myself, offer my driver's license, military ID card, and CPL (which I will wear in a pouch around my neck) and turn my strong side to him and ask him if he would like my gun while he checks me out. Oh, and I am going to put my gun's serial number on the back of my CPL so he doesn't have to write it down to run it and see if it stolen. Maybe I'll keep a spare, completed fingerprint card with me too, as an "olive branch" type offering. After all, it's only the polite thing to do to ensure the officer goes home at night safe to his family, right?

Page 72 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast