Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 73
Page 73 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 1169

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

  1. #721
    To settle my own curiosity, I decided to ask several officers myself regarding a traffic stop or a DWI checkpoint.
    The 1st was outside the Police station as we were leaving just after my wife was fingerprinted for the CCW.
    The 2nd was the office at my my kids H.S.
    The 3rd was a cop who was going into the supermarket in uniform.

    All three acknowledged that Virginia law does not require disclosure but the would appreciate it. They also advised that once they run you driver's license, they would know about the CCW (or CHP here) so they would then ask.

    As a courtesy, I would have no problem advising them at the time of the initial stop. I would simply hand them my license & permit & advise them of my firearm location, especially since they will be back asking anyway.

  2.   
  3. #722
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post
    To settle my own curiosity, I decided to ask several officers myself regarding a traffic stop or a DWI checkpoint.
    The 1st was outside the Police station as we were leaving just after my wife was fingerprinted for the CCW.
    The 2nd was the office at my my kids H.S.
    The 3rd was a cop who was going into the supermarket in uniform.

    All three acknowledged that Virginia law does not require disclosure but the would appreciate it. They also advised that once they run you driver's license, they would know about the CCW (or CHP here) so they would then ask.

    As a courtesy, I would have no problem advising them at the time of the initial stop. I would simply hand them my license & permit & advise them of my firearm location, especially since they will be back asking anyway.
    If they were going to find out when they ran my license anyway I might just hand them the permit.

    Since they won't find out in Colorado I see no point
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  4. #723
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,619
    Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post
    To settle my own curiosity, I decided to ask several officers myself regarding a traffic stop or a DWI checkpoint.
    The 1st was outside the Police station as we were leaving just after my wife was fingerprinted for the CCW.
    The 2nd was the office at my my kids H.S.
    The 3rd was a cop who was going into the supermarket in uniform.

    All three acknowledged that Virginia law does not require disclosure but the would appreciate it. They also advised that once they run you driver's license, they would know about the CCW (or CHP here) so they would then ask.

    As a courtesy, I would have no problem advising them at the time of the initial stop. I would simply hand them my license & permit & advise them of my firearm location, especially since they will be back asking anyway.
    If they run my DL, I doubt they would know. Many states don't tie them together.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post
    To settle my own curiosity, I decided to ask several officers myself regarding a traffic stop or a DWI checkpoint.
    The 1st was outside the Police station as we were leaving just after my wife was fingerprinted for the CCW.
    The 2nd was the office at my my kids H.S.
    The 3rd was a cop who was going into the supermarket in uniform.

    All three acknowledged that Virginia law does not require disclosure but the would appreciate it. They also advised that once they run you driver's license, they would know about the CCW (or CHP here) so they would then ask.

    As a courtesy, I would have no problem advising them at the time of the initial stop. I would simply hand them my license & permit & advise them of my firearm location, especially since they will be back asking anyway.
    So let's analyze this for a bit...

    The cop goes and runs your driver's license and it comes back that you have a permit for a concealed firearm.

    They come back to your car. Now, they KNOW that IF you have a concealed firearm on you that it IS LEGAL. SO, I've just got to ask this, WTF is to be gained by the cop asking about a gun at this point?!? I just don't understand. All they have to do at this point is get you to sign the ticket or give you a warning. What on earth is possibly to be gained by asking about a gun at this point when they just found that IF you do have a gun, IT'S LEGAL?!?

    Are they afraid that if you do have a gun that you will shoot them, especially if they give you a ticket vice a warning? Do they ask, so they can disarm you before they give you the ticket in case it pisses you off and you shoot them because they are going to give you a ticket? Is there any other point to asking you if you are carrying a gun that they now know IS LEGAL? I just can't wrap my mind around any reason for them to ask about a gun after finding out that you have a permit...AND the traffic stop is nearly over AND they know you at least passed the background check to get the permit and that you cared enough to make sure you were legal to carry a firearm.

  6. #725
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,619
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I've decided that upon seeing a police officer, I will approach him with my hands over my head, introduce myself, offer my driver's license, military ID card, and CPL (which I will wear in a pouch around my neck) and turn my strong side to him and ask him if he would like my gun while he checks me out. Oh, and I am going to put my gun's serial number on the back of my CPL so he doesn't have to write it down to run it and see if it stolen. Maybe I'll keep a spare, completed fingerprint card with me too, as an "olive branch" type offering. After all, it's only the polite thing to do to ensure the officer goes home at night safe to his family, right?
    You left off the smilie.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    You left off the smilie.
    to the fourth degree....

  8. #727

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I've decided that upon seeing a police officer, I will approach him with my hands over my head, introduce myself, offer my driver's license, military ID card, and CPL (which I will wear in a pouch around my neck) and turn my strong side to him and ask him if he would like my gun while he checks me out. Oh, and I am going to put my gun's serial number on the back of my CPL so he doesn't have to write it down to run it and see if it stolen. Maybe I'll keep a spare, completed fingerprint card with me too, as an "olive branch" type offering. After all, it's only the polite thing to do to ensure the officer goes home at night safe to his family, right?
    Wouldn't it be simpler just to flash your CCW Badge?

  9. Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Wouldn't it be simpler just to flash your CCW Badge?
    I knew I was forgetting something!

  10. #729

    Talking What are friends for?

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I knew I was forgetting something!
    That's what your friends here at USA Carry are happy to help you with.

  11. #730
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    So let's analyze this for a bit...

    The cop goes and runs your driver's license and it comes back that you have a permit for a concealed firearm.

    They come back to your car. Now, they KNOW that IF you have a concealed firearm on you that it IS LEGAL. SO, I've just got to ask this, WTF is to be gained by the cop asking about a gun at this point?!? I just don't understand. All they have to do at this point is get you to sign the ticket or give you a warning. What on earth is possibly to be gained by asking about a gun at this point when they just found that IF you do have a gun, IT'S LEGAL?!?

    Are they afraid that if you do have a gun that you will shoot them, especially if they give you a ticket vice a warning? Do they ask, so they can disarm you before they give you the ticket in case it pisses you off and you shoot them because they are going to give you a ticket? Is there any other point to asking you if you are carrying a gun that they now know IS LEGAL? I just can't wrap my mind around any reason for them to ask about a gun after finding out that you have a permit...AND the traffic stop is nearly over AND they know you at least passed the background check to get the permit and that you cared enough to make sure you were legal to carry a firearm.
    Personally, I think it's a power trip for LEOs. I agree, you would think that if you have a carry permit, passed a background check, and have gone through all the legal steps, that a LEO would feel comfortable with a "responsible" citizen being armed.
    Although I must admit that here in Va., police have no big issues with CCW guns since they DO know the driver has one, so up front disclosure makes them feel warm & fuzzy. They rarely disarm you. (but it has happened)

    What I find funny is a retired cop pulled over would never be questioned let alone disarmed.

    Like I said since in Va the fact that the driver has a CCW is a matter of record, I disclose as a courtesy. When I carry outside Va. I would only disclosed IF required by law. There is no need to draw attention to the issue.

Page 73 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Commonsense in Concealed Carry, and Gunfights
    By Kaymen in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 07:11 AM
  2. Travel to Ohio from MA
    By DickL in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 04:07 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 11:32 PM
  4. A LEO speaks about citizens & CC
    By Glock Fan in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 12:52 AM
  5. Inside A Concealed Carry Class
    By lukem in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 11:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast