Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 74
Page 74 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post
    Personally, I think it's a power trip for LEOs. I agree, you would think that if you have a carry permit, passed a background check, and have gone through all the legal steps, that a LEO would feel comfortable with a "responsible" citizen being armed.
    Although I must admit that here in Va., police have no big issues with CCW guns since they DO know the driver has one, so up front disclosure makes them feel warm & fuzzy. They rarely disarm you. (but it has happened)

What I find funny is a retired cop pulled over would never be questioned let alone disarmed.

Like I said since in Va the fact that the driver has a CCW is a matter of record, I disclose as a courtesy. When I carry outside Va. I would only disclosed IF required by law. There is no need to draw attention to the issue.
    Now my thinking would be more toward disclosing if out of state. I have Florida tags so I already have one strike against me.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Now my thinking would be more toward disclosing if out of state. I have Florida tags so I already have one strike against me.
    If carrying concealed then I keep it that way unless it is inevitable that it will be disclosed or required by law. As you say strike 1 is out of state plates (actually strike 2, strike 1 is you got stopped LOL).
    Unless disclosure up front is mandatory by law, I would just get through the stop as quickly as possible. Of course if the LEO asks I would not deny it. I would just say...with both hands on my steering wheel:
    "I have a concealed carry permit and my FIREARM is holstered on my waist at 4 o'clock, my permit is in my shirt pocket."

Different states react differently to CCW, this it's why it's extremely important to know the laws of the states you are traveling through. So why stir the hornets nest. It's like getting audited...Answer only what they ask, offer up nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post
    Personally, What I find funny is a retired cop pulled over would never be questioned let alone disarmed.
    If you are a cop there are two kinds of people in the world, cops and not cops.

Many, many years ago I dated a woman who was a cop. She came home one day absolutely livid because the St. Petersburg (Fla) PD had ticketed her car.

She had tried to get the ticket fixed by flashing her badge but SPPD wasn't havin' any.

When I pointed out that she had, in fact, parked illegally and that she wouldn't have thought twice about ticketing any other citizen who had done so, her response was "But I'm a cop."

In her mind the first rule of police work was that cops don't bust other cops and no matter what she couldn't see past that.

She lasted about a year.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post

They come back to your car. Now, they KNOW that IF you have a concealed firearm on you that it IS LEGAL. SO, I've just got to ask this, WTF is to be gained by the cop asking about a gun at this point?!? I just don't understand. All they have to do at this point is get you to sign the ticket or give you a warning. What on earth is possibly to be gained by asking about a gun at this point when they just found that IF you do have a gun, IT'S LEGAL?!?

ya beat me to it. makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

6. Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    I think what cabrera is saying is that in his home state, VA, his CCW permit is going to come up anyway (Washington is the same way). So, in VA, he might as well show the permit up front in order to offer the officer a piece of evidence that he is an law abiding citizen so the officer can feel more at ease right at the beginning of the stop.

If he is out of state, the permit is not likely to come up with the driver's license check AND he does not know how the police act generally out of state when presented with a carry permit. In New York, for example, giving the cop a CCW permit would likely get you removed from the vehicle and frisked, at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    When I pointed out that she had, in fact, parked illegally and that she wouldn't have thought twice about ticketing any other citizen who had done so, her response was "But I'm a cop."
    Treo, you misquoted her. Knowing many cops personally, in many different states & cities, I am confident that what she really said to you was:
    "But I'm a F&%king cop." LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    Yes, your NC CC permit is noted on your vehicle registration, and on your Driver's License. (Note that your CC permit number is the same as your DL number)
    Just checked. I'll be dipped! Thanks for the info, never noted the numbers matched before. (DUH-UUUH!)

Now I know. Just hope I don't have another occasion to panic some young trooper in the future! LOL! Given my average of a "stop" per decade, and the fact that this decade is already "taken"..... I will start to really worry about it in the 2020s, with the provision I make it that far.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Traffic Stop

I'm always leary about what might happen if I'm stopped for a traffic infraction and I'm either carrying or have a weapon in the vehicle (I have a CCW). Yesterday it happened.
    Happened to be in an intersection waiting to turn left when the light turned red. And of course there was a deputy sheriff behind me. Immediately she turned on her lights and I was trying to figure out what I did (I was watching oncoming traffic instead of the light-and didn't see it turn red). Oh no, my greatest fears are happening!
    She asked me if I saw the light turn red, then asked for my license and registration. With my license I gave her my CCW permit and told her I have a CCW but am not carrying (I was not carrying). She looked at the CCW and gave it back. Before she went back to her car to check me out she asked if I had a weapon. Again I told her I was not carrying.
    OK, cool. Although I thought she was taking a long time checking me out. But then another sheriff with lights flashing pulls up behind her. Heart rate doubles. He gets out and goes to her car and talks to her. After a while he gets back in his car, and she gets out and comes up to my car and gives me a ticket.
    I'm really wondering why the other officer was called to the stop. Was she wary about me? And from that I'm really leary about what would have happened if I had been carrying. Would they have made me get out of the car and searched me or taken the gun, or handcuffed me while they were giving me the ticket???

Quote Originally Posted by BobFoos View Post
    I'm always leary about what might happen if I'm stopped for a traffic infraction and I'm either carrying or have a weapon in the vehicle (I have a CCW). Yesterday it happened.
    Happened to be in an intersection waiting to turn left when the light turned red. And of course there was a deputy sheriff behind me. Immediately she turned on her lights and I was trying to figure out what I did (I was watching oncoming traffic instead of the light-and didn't see it turn red). Oh no, my greatest fears are happening!
    She asked me if I saw the light turn red, then asked for my license and registration. With my license I gave her my CCW permit and told her I have a CCW but am not carrying (I was not carrying). She looked at the CCW and gave it back. Before she went back to her car to check me out she asked if I had a weapon. Again I told her I was not carrying.
    OK, cool. Although I thought she was taking a long time checking me out. But then another sheriff with lights flashing pulls up behind her. Heart rate doubles. He gets out and goes to her car and talks to her. After a while he gets back in his car, and she gets out and comes up to my car and gives me a ticket.
    I'm really wondering why the other officer was called to the stop. Was she wary about me? And from that I'm really leary about what would have happened if I had been carrying. Would they have made me get out of the car and searched me or taken the gun, or handcuffed me while they were giving me the ticket???

Telling a cop you aren't carrying while there's a weapon in the vehicle is a really good way to get your chops busted.

Since you have to inform in Nebraska just hand them the permit and shut up.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

11. I don't need to tell the cops that I'm carrying in my state, so I will not.

Luckily I've been pulled over only once in my life; and that was because my sports car didn't have a front plate that was apparently mandatory in that state.

Page 74 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast