Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 77
Page 77 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by sthomper View Post
    should you need to tell an officer?? regardless of state law??

isnt the post about whether one should inform an officer..not what the existing law is???

why should that info have to be told?? if you wanted to kill the cop you wouldnt tell them anyway...you would just kill them.
    Good points.
    The law simply shouldnt require notification. We're good guys.

But while it does require me to notify when carrying, I will notify when Im not simply because I dont want some newbie LEO gettin all twitchy on me.
    We had a case of that about 25 years ago in Lima, Ohio where a fresh trooper got a little excited during a traffic stop over a blown tire.
    Id prefer not having him going for his gun :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    Hello all.

Yes, I inform either way. Its a personal decision.
    We have to inform if we are carrying, but dont have to if we're not...go figure.
    I guess we're supposed to leave the LEO guessing if we're just not carrying or if we're hiding something. Im more worried if I wasnt carried and the LEO having to wonder whats up.

Not that I go anywhere without my Ruger anyway. ;)
    If you're not carrying why would you worry about it?

Hello all.

Yes, I inform either way. Its a personal decision.
    We have to inform if we are carrying, but dont have to if we're not...go figure.
    I guess we're supposed to leave the LEO guessing if we're just not carrying or if we're hiding something. Im more worried if I wasnt carried and the LEO having to wonder whats up.

Not that I go anywhere without my Ruger anyway. ;)
    That makes sense to me if you're not carrying it's a non issue.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by sthomper View Post
    should you need to tell an officer?? regardless of state law??

isnt the post about whether one should inform an officer..not what the existing law is???

why should that info have to be told?? if you wanted to kill the cop you wouldnt tell them anyway...you would just kill them.
    Good points.
    The law simply shouldnt require notification. We're good guys.

But while it does require me to notify when carrying, I will notify when Im not simply because I dont want some newbie LEO gettin all twitchy on me.
    We had a case of that about 25 years ago in Lima, Ohio where a fresh trooper got a little excited during a traffic stop over a blown tire.
    Id prefer not having him going for his gun :D

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    That makes sense to me if you're not carrying it's a non issue.
    personally I wish theyd be consistent and just remove the requirement entirely.
    If Im a bad guy Im not going to tell the cop anything.
    If Im a good guy Im not going to hurt anyone anyway.
    The requirement is fairly ridiculous as it really doesnt do anything but give the few bad cops out there a good way to abuse their authority by claiming someone didnt notify...or do so quickly enough.
    We have to do it fairly promptly here.
    One guy was arrested because it wasnt 'quick enough' according to the arresting officer.
    Theoretically 10 seconds could be seen as not being quick enough if you get a bad cop or one in a mood.

personally I wish theyd be consistent and just remove the requirement entirely.
    If Im a bad guy Im not going to tell the cop anything.
    If Im a good guy Im not going to hurt anyone anyway.
    The requirement is fairly ridiculous as it really doesnt do anything but give the few bad cops out there a good way to abuse their authority by claiming someone didnt notify...or do so quickly enough.
    We have to do it fairly promptly here.
    One guy was arrested because it wasnt 'quick enough' according to the arresting officer.
    Theoretically 10 seconds could be seen as not being quick enough if you get a bad cop or one in a mood.

Are you from Ohio?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    If you're not carrying why would you worry about it?
    I'm assuming Ruger357SP101 might be from Mich like me. Twice I've 'not' informed because I wasn't carrying and the LEO comes back to my car with his hand on his gun. So I always start with "I have a pistol license and I am (or am not) carrying. In that order!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    I'm assuming Ruger357SP101 might be from Mich like me. Twice I've 'not' informed because I wasn't carrying and the LEO comes back to my car with his hand on his gun. So I always start with "I have a pistol license and I am (or am not) carrying. In that order!
    I was thinking Ohio because there was a much publicized case there in which the permitee was arrested for not informing "soon enough" even though the informed W/in 51 seconds after being told repeatedly by the arresting officer to "shut up"

If I were going to inform (no legal requirement here) I wouldn't do so verbally, too much chance for a missunderstnding. I'd just hand over the permit
    Last edited by Treo; 02-16-2011 at 03:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Are you from Ohio?
    yep.
    We're still working out the kinks ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    Ohio.
    But thats pretty much how I do it.
    I always carry but in an odd case that I wasnt I still inform them because they already know I have the permit.
    I dont want some cop wondering if Im not carrying....or AM carrying and Im just not telling him for some reason.
    These guys deal with a lot of crap during traffic stops. I certainly dont want to add to the tension if I can help it.
    Twitchy cops arent good for anybody.

Page 77 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast