Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 78
Page 78 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    Hello all.

Yes, I inform either way. Its a personal decision.
    We have to inform if we are carrying, but dont have to if we're not...go figure.
    I guess we're supposed to leave the LEO guessing if we're just not carrying or if we're hiding something. Im more worried if I wasnt carried and the LEO having to wonder whats up.

Not that I go anywhere without my Ruger anyway. ;)
    You're licensed in a state making preemptive disclosure mandatory? Then follow the law. But some with law degrees have indicated that even those state laws would collapse if sufficiently challenged in higher courts. This thread has dealt with do tell or don't tell even when not compelled by law to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    You're licensed in a state making preemptive disclosure mandatory? Then follow the law. But some with law degrees have indicated that even those state laws would collapse if sufficiently challenged in higher courts. This thread has dealt with do tell or don't tell even when not compelled by law to do so.
    I do know we're always working on changing the more asinine parts of the law here.
    Right now they are, yet again, trying to get the parts changed where, like today, Im going to have to disarm to go into Red Lobster, because I cant carry if they even serve any type of alcohol.
    And also the manner in which the gun is carried in a vehicle.
    Frankly that one confuses me. I mean, when it first passed here we complained because we had to move the gun so that it was not concealed while we were driving, then we'd have to conceal it again when getting out of the car.
    The argument was that there was too much handling of the firearm and it could cause an accident.
    Ok. Makes sense.
    But we're now arguing that we should be able to keep the gun in any manner in the car at all, rather than the limits in the present law.
    But...if we dont just keep the gun concealed while we're driving, and we have to REconceal it when we get out of the car...arent we now arguing against the logic we used in the first case ????

The laws here definitely need tweaked some.
    I feel that the 'timely notification' aspect is where some abuse by those few bad cops out there could occur. If anything was changed, I think that and the restaurant areas are where Id like to see a change.
    Remove the notification issue entirely. It simply isnt necessary and can cause law abiding citizens to become 'criminals' based on the scenario and the LEO involved.

4. Constitutional carry!

I have 2 words for ya CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucenut View Post
    Alaska has Constitutional Carry & a required to inform law.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

6. Quote Originally Posted by Lucenut View Post
    Constitutional Carry really has nothing to do with being a polite and responsible citizen, putting the officer at ease, and making sure they go home at night safe to their families...

but, then again, neither does telling the officer about my lawfully carried firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Alaska has Constitutional Carry & a required to inform law.
    Which I'd be fine with.
    LEO's are often much more friendly if they know you arent trying to hide anything.
    Theyre just men like every other man who dont want to be shot and killed.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101
    LEO's are often much more friendly if they know you arent trying to hide anything.
    And this is what I don't understand. Why is it viewed by some to be hiding something if I don't tell the officer about my lawfully carried firearm? Am I hiding my cell phone from him, if I don't show that to him? Am I hiding my lunch from him, if I don't show him what's in my lunchbox in the back seat? Am I hiding my CD collection from him, if I don't show him those?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    And this is what I don't understand. Why is it viewed by some to be hiding something if I don't tell the officer about my lawfully carried firearm? Am I hiding my cell phone from him, if I don't show that to him? Am I hiding my lunch from him, if I don't show him what's in my lunchbox in the back seat? Am I hiding my CD collection from him, if I don't show him those?
    Come on, be reasonable. LEOs are shot dead during traffic stops.
    YouTube - Cop shot in the face
    When they pull you over this afternoon how in the hell are they supposed to know that today isnt THE day you finally went off your rocker and will pull that gun out to shoot them when they get to your car door ?

We're not talking about checking preschool kids lunchboxes...altho if this was Vietnam 40 years ago that might not have been a bad idea.

We're talking when we are already being pulled over at a traffic stop for most likely breaking speeding or some other traffic law.
    I realize that people dont want to accept this fact, but a LOT of felons are caught during traffic stops. Cops are already on notice that something can happen.
    And how do they know before they get to your car that you havent been carjacked and someones got a gun on you?
    Come on now....we CARRY for a REASON. Either we understand that ANYTHING CAN happen....or we're carrying for some reason OTHER Than self defense.

There isnt a single thing wrong with LAW ABIDING citizens ASSISTING LAW ENFORCEMENT in any and every REASONABLE manner possible. Even if its just helping them feel more at ease so they know this traffic stop isnt one where they got shot at or killed.

I'll keep informing them when Im pulled over myself. Cops are guys just like me. They dont want to get shot any more than I do.
    This 'us versus them' garbage by law abiding folk only makes this crap worse than it needs to be.
    Instead of US acting like the jerk cops we hate, how about WE set the example so the good cops can do their jobs without so much hassle ?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    This 'us versus them' garbage by law abiding folk only makes this crap worse than it needs to be.
    Instead of US acting like the jerk cops we hate, how about WE set the example so the good cops can do their jobs without so much hassle ?
    How is it ME against the COP simply because I choose not to tell him about a perfectly legal activity that I am engaged in?!? I am not at war with the cops. I simply value my privacy and prefer to exercise my 4th amendment rights to that privacy.

Can you guarantee the cop is going to be reasonable when I show him my CCW permit? Can you guarantee he is not going to "ask" me to exit the vehicle and pat me down? Can you guarantee he is not going to search the immediately accessible area of my vehicle? Can you guarantee his not going to take my gun from me, unload it (<--- and that is all if he chooses to stay withing the bounds of case law precedent), hopefully without shooting me or himself in the process, and call the serial number of my gun in to check if it is stolen? Why should I put up with all the inconvenience simply to "put him at ease"?

If he isn't at ease enough when I pull over in the safest spot possible for him, with my window rolled all the way down, with my right hand out the window holding my driver's license and military ID card, with my glove box open and the folder containing my registration and insurance on my lap, and my other hand on the top of the steering wheel, with my engine turned off..... then I doubt very seriously that showing him a CCW permit is going to do any more to put our LEO friend at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    How is it ME against the COP simply because I choose not to tell him about a perfectly legal activity that I am engaged in?!? I am not at war with the cops. I simply value my privacy and prefer to exercise my 4th amendment rights to that privacy.
    I think I explained myself clear enough to your, N.
    We're done here.
    You do as YOU please...I'll do as I please...and it wont be me getting dragged from my car during a stop if it happens to either of us, I assure you.
    I will inform EVERY time whether Im carrying or not carrying for the peace of mind of the officer. He ISNT my enemy. FELONS are!
    And if they want to search my car Im fine with it as long as they ask and I give them permission...which I have done just that in the past.
    Ive nothing to hide. Criminals do.

Have a great evening...

Page 78 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast