Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 8
Page 8 of 117 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyJarhead View Post
    Least we forget that LEO's are people doing their job, they deserve the same common curiousy as anyone else does when performing a job. Most I know are thankfull when it's done and it shows them that you have respect for the dangerous job that they perform. Now i am the first person to say that one is not around when you need them, but if you ever should need them they just might remember the courtousy that was shown and repay it.
    Yes, but they *CHOSE* to put themselves in a dangerous situation by becoming a LEO. And if I have any encounters with the police, you can be all but assured it is not by my choice. They are stopping me, not the other way around.

So why should I help someone or show them any extra courtesy if they are about to make my wallet lighter or put me in handcuffs? Makes no sense to me.

At the same time, it really is their job to figure out if something is going on that is illegal. I have no duty to help them, especially when it's my own freedom at stake. If they want to ask me if I'm carrying, I'll answer depending on what is in my best interests -- not the LEO. (Just don't lie to a LEO -- although you can refuse to answer ANY question)

Now a question from a woman. Would you, if you were a female, tell the officer or give him/her your ccw? I have found that sometimes the gender difference makes a difference in many decisions.

4. Quote Originally Posted by rayven View Post
    Yes, but they *CHOSE* to put themselves in a dangerous situation by becoming a LEO. And if I have any encounters with the police, you can be all but assured it is not by my choice. They are stopping me, not the other way around.

So why should I help someone or show them any extra courtesy if they are about to make my wallet lighter or put me in handcuffs? Makes no sense to me.

At the same time, it really is their job to figure out if something is going on that is illegal. I have no duty to help them, especially when it's my own freedom at stake. If they want to ask me if I'm carrying, I'll answer depending on what is in my best interests -- not the LEO. (Just don't lie to a LEO -- although you can refuse to answer ANY question)

Your stance is part of the problem in this country, whether you wish the encounter is a moot point, they deserve your respect as any one does.

Quote Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
    Your stance is part of the problem in this country
    What stance is that? The stance that I have no duty to inform in most states, and believe that it's non of the LEOs business? If I'm on my way home from the park with my son, I might have a baseball and bat in the car. I can throw a pretty wicked fastball and could certainly split a skull with a metal bat. Would it be courteous and respectful to inform the LEO of the presence of these items? I can just see the look on his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
    they deserve your respect as any one does.
    And sure, respect he will get. I show respect by pulling over when the flashing lights are behind me, as that is my obligation. Would you say it's disrespectful to NOT inform the LEO? If so, then you must also believe it disrespectful when someone excersizes their 5th amendment right and doesn't say anything at all while being questioned.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Ok. I can see my post cause a lot of varied replies. My Father feels the same as some of you...that he will not inform a LEO unless asked....but ....having seen some of my friends ,that are LEO's , face's when they are informed by dispatch that the occupant has a CCW is cause for concern. My feeling is this. I am a law abiding citizen, in legal possession of a legally owned weapon and have the documentation to prove that I am licensed to carry a concealed weapon. I know that the LEO already knows that I have the permit, what he does not know is my state of mind at that time. I could have just gotten in a fight with the wife/girlfriend,had a really bad day at work, whatever.I think that by providing that information (CCW) it shows the officer my state of mind, that I am able to realize that he doesn't know my state of mind and have the fore thought to inform him/her, after all I pose them no threat. Yes I realize that they chose this line of work, they know how dangerous it is and I also understand that is my responsibility to them to show them I mean them no harm.I have personally known people in law enforcement most of my life, all they want is to do their job and go home safe. If I can be in the least responsible for that I feel justified in my actions. Having a CCW is a huge responsibility in and of it's self. I would like to convey to the LEO ( as well as to anyone who asks) that I can be trusted with that responsibility and utilize it for it's purpose. To justifiably defend myself when all other actions have failed.

It is this left wing stereotype of the gun owner that is the problem. I am not dangerous to anyone, including a cop, who is acting lawfully. It doesn't matter if I had a fight with my wife (or my girlfriend--same person) or just got fired from my job. I am a law abiding citizen. I do not buy that I am showing the police officer respect by showing my carry permit. I am no more a threat to the cop than he is to me.

If required by law to notify, by all means notify. But my CCW is not tied to any car plate and probably not to my drivers license. I do not have to notify in Kalifornia or in Idaho or Nevada or Oregon (if I can get a non-resident permit there). So I may or may not notify but absolutely will not in Kalifornia.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    It is this left wing stereotype of the gun owner that is the problem. I am not dangerous to anyone, including a cop, who is acting lawfully. It doesn't matter if I had a fight with my wife (or my girlfriend--same person) or just got fired from my job. I am a law abiding citizen. I do not buy that I am showing the police officer respect by showing my carry permit. I am no more a threat to the cop than he is to me.

Everything in that paragraph is spot-on.AMEN BROTHER! Unfortunately though, it isn't just a leftwing thing. Guns have a negative stigma with alot of people that I know who own guns for, say, defense of home or just for target shooting, but not to carry. When I decided I was going to get a gun and start carrying, my own mom (one of the most conservative people I know) was floored. "Why do you need to carry a gun?"

The stigma has been developed over the years by the people being complacent. It used to be that EVERYONE carried a gun. But then, back in that day, we didn't even have cops, save for a sheriff and maybe a deputy. When the sheriff approached you, he knew you were armed, because everyone was. Slowly but surely, we have become more comfortable with the "protection" the police provide, and so we felt it less necessary to arm ourselves. That is when the left wing moves in and takes advantage of our complacentcy. We have allowed more and more restriction on our God given rights. We started out with one firearms law (2A), now we have over 20,000.

Like I said before, there is a chance that the driver is armed every time a cop pulls someone over. When he runs the plate or DL or whatever, he should be relieved to see the driver has a CCW, not alarmed.

BTW, I'm not really trying to change anyones mind. You do what you want, I'll do what I want. I'm actually looking for a good reason to change my mind, and so far I haven't found one.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries

Local frisked after telling LEO he had a CCW

As he was leaving the shop two Sheriff deputies pulled him over and when one deputy walked up to the car Jim told him " I have a concealed carry".

At that time he was ordered out of the car at gun point and told to spread eagle over the hood.

He told the officer my pistol is in my right front pocket and the Deputy removed it, the other Deputy took it to their vehicle, probably to check the registration.

Jim asked the officer why he was stopped, The Deputy said, a neighbor reported gun fire coming from his shop.

Jim told the Deputy he was using an air nailer, there was no gun fire.

They than returned his pistol unloaded and told him he could go.

Jim went back to his shop and as he entered he set off his vehicle bugler alarm and went inside to see if the neighbor would make another call.

Take Care
    Debray

Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    As he was leaving the shop two Sheriff deputies pulled him over and when one deputy walked up to the car Jim told him " I have a concealed carry".

At that time he was ordered out of the car at gun point and told to spread eagle over the hood.

He told the officer my pistol is in my right front pocket and the Deputy removed it, the other Deputy took it to their vehicle, probably to check the registration.

Jim asked the officer why he was stopped, The Deputy said, a neighbor reported gun fire coming from his shop.

Jim told the Deputy he was using an air nailer, there was no gun fire.

They than returned his pistol unloaded and told him he could go. Why unloaded? Did he get his ammo back?

Jim went back to his shop and as he entered he set off his vehicle bugler alarm and went inside to see if the neighbor would make another call.Did the alarm get answered?

Take Care
    Debray
    Where we live if you expect the law to get there in time to help they might make it in time to carry your casket.

Quote Originally Posted by rayven View Post
    The job of the police is to enforce the law. The "protect and serve" is just a motto and holds no weight. The Supreme Court even weighed in on this issue and said that the police have no duty to protect anyone, just to enforce the law.
    So you will be OK the next time that an officer just passes by your wife, stranded late at night on a dark sidestreet, since he has no duty to protect anyone, just to enforce the law?
    You will be OK with an officer not questioning someone in a car with binoculars outside your daughter's apartment late at night, since it is a public street, and technically no actual laws appear to be being broken? I ain't buyin' it.

The VAST majority of officers DO consider it their duty to "protect and serve", and the VAST majority do it VERY well. I thank them for it, and will go beyond my duty to help them, because I am very confident that they will go beyond theirs to help me when I need it, and I am sure it will be a bigger effort on their part to help me than it was on mine to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by rayven:74991
    And it is true that most LEOs are not really on the side of the citizen -- most will defend their fellow officers even if that includes lying or making stuff up. Happens all the time. Unfortunately, that's reality.
    All the time? Really? I would interpret "all the time" to mean a majority of the time, or at least, a good share of the time. Sorry, I'm calling BS on that one. Happens, yes. How often? RARELY. You have been watching way too much TV. I know you can prove that it has and does happen, but really... "all the time"?

I have read back through this thread, considering all the statements made, and, again meaning no offense, since it is just my opinion, but I think someone is living in the paranoid palace.

Page 8 of 117 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast