Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 80
Page 80 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 1169

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

  1. #791
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    You don't have a choice an d if I lived in Ohio I would inform as well. But we do have a choice
    I have a choice if Im not carrying of not saying anything to the cop.
    Which because I have to inform if I am carrying leaves the man wondering if Im simply not informing because Im not currently carrying....or if Im up to something.

    For myself I will ALWAYS inform, even if they change the laws, because LEOs have enough worry on their plate on any given day about being shot or having to deal with some ***hole during a traffic stop.

    When LEO's become my enemy, then Ill treat them as such.
    Until then we are on the SAME side of good against criminals and I will go entirely out of my way, above and beyond what is expected, to make sure they know that I am a good guy, on their side and will not only cooperate 100% but will also put my life on the line for one of them if it comes down to it.

    As I said before, this attitude of 'us versus them' causes a lot of the problem. We're SUPPOSED to be working as a team here against criminals.
    When we treat LEOs with attitudes we are no better than the abusive cops, quite frankly.

  2.   
  3. #792
    Yep, that's about the way I look at it as well, Ruger357SP101.


    3X PM

  4. Polite and reasonable citizen?

    Polite and reasonable citizens defend their rights! You go ahead and give up your weapon, consent to vehicle/cavity searches...

    Are you going to be polite when they come to confiscate your weapons? That is going to make them feel safer. That's your goal right?


    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Constitutional Carry really has nothing to do with being a polite and responsible citizen, putting the officer at ease, and making sure they go home at night safe to their families...

    but, then again, neither does telling the officer about my lawfully carried firearm.

  5. #794
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,900
    If you choose to inform that's your choice. I think it will back fire on you at some point but it is your choice.

    What bothers me is the meme (look it up) that those of us who choose not to inform when we are not legally required to do so are somehow trouble making radicals that view all cops as "the enemy".

    If I don't inform a cop in Colorado I am one hundred percent in compliance w/ Colorado law. If the State doesn't think it neccessary that I inform why should I listen to you?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    As I said before, you and I are done. On ignore you go. I didnt join up to argue with folks who disrespect LEO's.
    You've made that statement before, and yet here you are again... but I'm the troll...

  7. #796
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    You've made that statement before, and yet here you are again... but I'm the troll...
    Do they make a badge for that?

  8. #797
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    High Desert, Kern County, California
    Posts
    66
    Dang, here I go agreeing with Treo again! I hate it when this happens.

    Since I live in California I am not required to notify LEO's if stopped while I am CCW. However, the Sheriff of the county I live in requires notification to any any LEO upon official contact. This IS NOT a condition which is printed on my permit. It was a statement I had to sign. So, I will notify upon official contact. I asked the Sheriff why he has this restriction. He stated that he just wants to make sure there is no problems with LEO's and his permit holders.

    After much careful consideration, and reading God knows how many pages of this post I must say I agree with him. (Hold on Treo!)

    I can imagine this happening to me since I carry on my body and not inside the truck some place.

    Routine traffic stop. Officer asks for license, registration and proof of insurance. I carry reg and insurance in a folder on the dash. License is in my left rear pocket. Upon reaching for any of these the LEO gets a glimpse of my firearm somehow. A routine thing has now got me looking into the barrel of his weapon. I understand why he has done this. And I sure don't want to be in that position.

    HOWEVER.................

    I also believe that if people elect not to tell a LEO when it is not required they are not "trouble making radicals that view all cops as "the enemy"". Treo is spot on here.

  9. #798
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dude View Post
    However, the Sheriff of the county I live in requires notification to any any LEO upon official contact. This IS NOT a condition which is printed on my permit. It was a statement I had to sign.
    Philadelphia, PA tries the same thing...along with if your gun is stolen out of your car we will revoke your license to carry...but there is no basis for law on it so you don't have to abide by it.

  10. #799
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    I am amazed at people who think that "telling a cop" (when it's not required) that they have a CCW is being respectful. It has nothing to do with a traffic stop. It has nothing to do with the "safety" of the officer. The only safety that it might affect is if the cop would insist on handling the gun, disarming the CCW holder, and exposing everyone to danger by handling a gun that he might not be familiar with.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  11. #800
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    I am amazed at people who think that "telling a cop" (when it's not required) that they have a CCW is being respectful. It has nothing to do with a traffic stop. It has nothing to do with the "safety" of the officer.
    And it isn't "tactical" either.

Page 80 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Commonsense in Concealed Carry, and Gunfights
    By Kaymen in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 06:11 AM
  2. Travel to Ohio from MA
    By DickL in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 03:07 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 10:32 PM
  4. A LEO speaks about citizens & CC
    By Glock Fan in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 11:52 PM
  5. Inside A Concealed Carry Class
    By lukem in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 10:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast