Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 82
Page 82 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 820 of 1169

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

  1. #811
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    High Desert, Kern County, California
    Posts
    66
    I'm not sure the 'no tells' actually mean they treat LEO's as criminals. I see it as if you have the choice (not required) and make the choice not to inform then it's your business. And again, Treo is right (OMG, two times today!) if the LEO sees your concealed weapon, the concealment has failed.

    While we all try our up most to insure concealed is concealed, but stuff happens. Your shirt or jacket could get caught on the seat belt retractor or something in the side pouch on the door. Totally on accident the butt of your weapon is exposed. I know this may be a bit far fetched, but with my luck it could happen.

    I still think 99% of LEO's are out there to do a job they love. I haven't run into "an anti cop who decides to bust your chops" yet. But I know they are out there. When that time comes, if it does, I'll hand him my Davis and Associates tear off business card, lock the doors and wait for a supervisor.

  2.   
  3. #812
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I am still trying to figure out how I am treating police officers like criminals.

    Doesn't matter you're going to Hell anyway.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  4. #813
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    While I think there is some legitimacy to what you are saying here, I also think that if the cop sees your gun your concealment is fail.
    not really the point, however.
    I generally uncover my gun in the car so the LEO can see it during a stop.
    I have nothing to hide and I sure as hell dont intend to act like I do.
    I dont like playing games. I'll continue to inform regardless of my weapon being seen or not.

    I havenít been pulled over in about a year but when it happens I reach for my wallet before I even pull over and I have it in my hands (which are in plain view on the steering wheel) before the cop even makes it to my door. Now there is no chance for the cop to mistake what Iím doing as I reach for a wallet. My hands are in plain sight the whole time heís by my window. Problem solved
    But there wasnt any problem to begin with.
    I notify either way. Ive done it...I know it puts the LEO at ease. Ive watched them come up behind my car being very careful and I can see the look on their faces. I inform of my carry status, say something off topic and they start to relax.
    Cops are our brothers and sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, fathers and mothers. There is NO WRONG in going out of my way to make my family feel more at ease. Even if we're not related by blood.
    My enemy is ONLY the felons out there. That ought to be the attitude of ALL CCW'ers.

    As for the whole get back to me thing, let us know when you meet (and you will eventually) an anti cop who decides to bust your chops because informing immediately wasnít soon enough for him
    When I do, *IF* I do, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
    Rest assured it will NOT affect how I behave with the REST of law enforcement who dont abuse their authority.
    Unlike some, I dont damn the many over the actions of the few.
    We whine like spanked little girls that WE are treated like criminals because we carry guns just because some nut goes on a shooting rampage.
    Then we have the audacity to be just as narrow minded as those who judge US when WE treat LEOs who havent done a single thing wrong as tho they are guilty.
    I call that a perverse double standard.

  5. #814
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dude View Post
    I'm not sure the 'no tells' actually mean they treat LEO's as criminals. I see it as if you have the choice (not required) and make the choice not to inform then it's your business.
    Which is really all Ive been saying.
    A couple obnoxious members here, however, cant accept that it is MY business, not theres, to inform as *I* feel to do so.
    Had these obnoxious types kept their nose to themselves, this wouldnt have been an issue. cant expect that sort to allow the rest of us to exercise OUR freedoms, however. Not the sort Id want in politics, for sure.

    I dont condemn those who dont inform where its not required, and theyd better learn to just accept that I WILL inform every time as is my right.
    And I'll submit to a vehicle search EVERY time Im asked politely as well by LEOs because I KNOW that this is what we PAY them to do...CATCH bad guys. Theyre doing what our tax dollars are employing them to do.
    If it inconveniences me for 20 minutes, whats the big damned deal...know what i mean ?


    And again, Treo is right (OMG, two times today!) if the LEO sees your concealed weapon, the concealment has failed.
    Not an issue. I purposefully uncover my weapon while driving so the LEO CAN see it during a stop.
    Easy enough ?
    :)

    I still think 99% of LEO's are out there to do a job they love. I haven't run into "an anti cop who decides to bust your chops" yet. But I know they are out there. When that time comes, if it does, I'll hand him my Davis and Associates tear off business card, lock the doors and wait for a supervisor.
    When I cross this sort of LEO I'll spend the rest of my days suing the hell out of him and filing complaints with every person I can find and alert the media as well until this guy wished he just kept that job a Old Navy and never became a cop.
    But I will keep it aimed in HIS direction. I WONT use that bad encounter to do the same thing to the rest of law enforcement that WE dont want done to US over one bad guy with a gun....

  6. #815
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    It is illegal in many states (including Kalifornia where I am) to have a loaded gun unconcealed.

    I wonder what would happen if a cop wanted to take your gun and you have it in a Smart Carry? I certainly wouldn't want him reaching inside my pants and grabbing a gun (that is a Glock and will fire if the fool accidently pulls the triger). I would have to ask for a supervisor and there would be a lot of wasted time waiting around probably with the fool cop having his gun drawn since I was forbiding him from drawing my gun.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  7. #816
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I am still trying to figure out how I am treating police officers like criminals.
    Actually I think it is the police officers who are treating us average citizens like criminals.

  8. #817
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Doesn't matter you're going to Hell anyway.
    You must be a Marine, spelled with a capital M.

  9. #818
    I have to agree with LT on this one. I have no choice but to inform as in Va. it is cross referenced with my driver's license (even though by law I don't have to). Once he runs my D/L he knows. So I am upfront. If he asks if I'm armed, then I am required to disclose by law.

    But in a state in which my CCW status in unknown or not checked by D/L I would not offer up unrequested information. Why open up a can of worms.

    I keep my D/L & permit opposite my firearm & at easy access. I also try not to get stopped <LOL> My only exposure would be on a DWI checkpoint...but I don't drive drunk either. Hey I fear the wife more than ANY LEO!

  10. #819
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    It is illegal in many states (including Kalifornia where I am) to have a loaded gun unconcealed.
    Ohio is an open carry state. I can carry openly all I want without a permit (barring in a car or where otherwise prohibited). The permit here is for concealed carry.
    When we first got CCW we had to 'unconceal' the weapon when in the auto. That got changed, and thats fine, but I prefer it not being concealed both so a LEO can see it during a stop and for easier access if someone tries to carjack me.
    I keep the doors locked while we're driving, which gives me a couple more seconds to get to my revolver in such a case.
    I wonder what would happen if a cop wanted to take your gun and you have it in a Smart Carry? I certainly wouldn't want him reaching inside my pants and grabbing a gun (that is a Glock and will fire if the fool accidently pulls the triger). I would have to ask for a supervisor and there would be a lot of wasted time waiting around probably with the fool cop having his gun drawn since I was forbiding him from drawing my gun.
    Ohio Law says I have to inform if Im carrying and cooperate with the LEO. If he wants my revolver during the stop I have no choice but to give it to him.
    Im not losing my CHL over being stubborn.

  11. #820
    Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Actually I think it is the police officers who are treating us average citizens like criminals.
    Really?
    Honestly now, how many times have YOU personally dealt with a LEO?
    Of those times how many did the LEO do anything unlawful or out of line or infringe on YOUR rights PERSONALLY ?
    If it did happen, what was YOUR demeanor (again HONESTLY) at the start of the stop ?

    RARELY have I seen a case where the LEO went over the line where the citizen being stopped didnt do his best to make a jerk of himself and/or be completely uncooperative.

    Frankly I think MOST of the attitude comes from folks who HEARD someone tell a story about a bad LEO encounter. So ONE guy runs into ONE bad cop, the story gets told to 100 guys in a forum just like this and now 100 GOOD cops have to be treated like crap because the 100 guys on the forum now have an attitude towards cops.

    We can claim it aint so, but deep down we know it is.
    There ARENT that many bad cops...we all know it is very much the fact.

Page 82 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Commonsense in Concealed Carry, and Gunfights
    By Kaymen in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 06:11 AM
  2. Travel to Ohio from MA
    By DickL in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 03:07 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 10:32 PM
  4. A LEO speaks about citizens & CC
    By Glock Fan in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 11:52 PM
  5. Inside A Concealed Carry Class
    By lukem in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 10:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast