Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 83
Page 83 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 1169

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

  1. #821
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Ohio Law says I have to inform if Im carrying and cooperate with the LEO. If he wants my revolver during the stop I have no choice but to give it to him.
    Im not losing my CHL over being stubborn.
    You seem to only want to talk of your personal situation. This board has people from the entire country. And you didn't address my suggested situation. What if you are carrying in a Smart Carry?

    I'm in Southern Kalifornia. The average time on the force in L.A. last I saw was 5 years. Much of Kalifornia is anti-gun. If I'm stopped, it's likely by a relatively inexperienced cop who's bosses are anti-gun. For me, it's safer for everyone to not notify. I'm not required to. The less my gun is handled by someone who may not be familiar with it, the safer we all are. You live in a must notify state. Different situations require different actions. If I'm in a state that requires notification, I'll notify. Otherwise because I don't know the local cops and because I've read some of their forums where a large percentage of them brag of "throwing CCW carriers" on the hood of their cars and making their lives miserable, I'll not notify. That's not disrespectful. It's not dangerous. It's not making waves. It's not going to make the cop with a chip on his shoulder think I'm a wanta be cop.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  2.   
  3. Which is really all Ive been saying.
    A couple obnoxious members here, however, cant accept that it is MY business, not theres, to inform as *I* feel to do so.
    Had these obnoxious types kept their nose to themselves, this wouldnt have been an issue. cant expect that sort to allow the rest of us to exercise OUR freedoms, however. Not the sort Id want in politics, for sure.
    How absolutely obnoxious of me to have an opinion that is different than yours.

  4. #823
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    You seem to only want to talk of your personal situation. This board has people from the entire country. And you didn't address my suggested situation. What if you are carrying in a Smart Carry?

    I'm in Southern Kalifornia. The average time on the force in L.A. last I saw was 5 years. Much of Kalifornia is anti-gun. If I'm stopped, it's likely by a relatively inexperienced cop who's bosses are anti-gun. For me, it's safer for everyone to not notify. I'm not required to. The less my gun is handled by someone who may not be familiar with it, the safer we all are. You live in a must notify state. Different situations require different actions. If I'm in a state that requires notification, I'll notify. Otherwise because I don't know the local cops and because I've read some of their forums where a large percentage of them brag of "throwing CCW carriers" on the hood of their cars and making their lives miserable, I'll not notify. That's not disrespectful. It's not dangerous. It's not making waves. It's not going to make the cop with a chip on his shoulder think I'm a wanta be cop.
    I cant judge you for doing what YOU feel you need to do in YOUR situation, friend.
    All I will say is that its not MY business how YOU choose to do what you do....and its none of anyone elses how *I* choose to conduct myself as far as informing or not.

    The problem here wasnt that I am telling anyone else what they must do....it was that some poster here cant keep his own nose out of other folks behinds and thinks he has some authority to judge those of us who do things as we feel to.

  5. #824
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    Really?
    Honestly now, how many times have YOU personally dealt with a LEO?
    Of those times how many did the LEO do anything unlawful or out of line or infringe on YOUR rights PERSONALLY ?
    If it did happen, what was YOUR demeanor (again HONESTLY) at the start of the stop ?

    RARELY have I seen a case where the LEO went over the line where the citizen being stopped didnt do his best to make a jerk of himself and/or be completely uncooperative.

    Frankly I think MOST of the attitude comes from folks who HEARD someone tell a story about a bad LEO encounter. So ONE guy runs into ONE bad cop, the story gets told to 100 guys in a forum just like this and now 100 GOOD cops have to be treated like crap because the 100 guys on the forum now have an attitude towards cops.
    I've dealt w/ one CSPD cop that told me I need a permit to carry a firearm in my vehicle (State law specifically states I do not).

    And one who, when he found out I had a gun, jumped away from my car and damn near drew. To be clear he found out I was armed because he asked my if I had any weapons in the vehicle and I handed him my permit and he damn near pooped his pants.

    Those two were enough I choose to follow the law in my state and keep the information to myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    I cant judge you for doing what YOU feel you need to do in YOUR situation, friend.
    All I will say is that its not MY business how YOU choose to do what you do....and its none of anyone elses how *I* choose to conduct myself as far as informing or not.
    You made it our business when you put it forward for discussion
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    You made it our business when you put it forward for discussion
    Apparently his opinions aren't up for discussion....

  7. jerkoff?

    OK you believe defending your rights makes you a jerkoff? I see the problem here as CCWers consider themselves the LEO's assistant. Someone here even said they were willing to give their life for the LEO! That explains the LEO-worship as it pertains to notifying. You have a uniform fetish or something.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    Absolutely agree that not informing does not, by default, mean that the person carrying sees cops as the 'enemy'...I do see, however, posts in this forum by a couple folks that absolutely comes off as sounding like LEO's are the enemy.

    Its not the failure to inform so much as this attitude presented by a handful of posters in these threads.
    Their attitude is a huge part of the problem here. LEO's put their lives on the line every day dealing with routine traffic stops and criminals are enough to have to deal with. They certainly dont need jerkoff CCW'ers acting like Rambo when its not called for.

  8. #827
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PANHANDLE, FL
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    I do know we're always working on changing the more asinine parts of the law here.
    Right now they are, yet again, trying to get the parts changed where, like today, Im going to have to disarm to go into Red Lobster, because I cant carry if they even serve any type of alcohol.
    And also the manner in which the gun is carried in a vehicle.
    Frankly that one confuses me. I mean, when it first passed here we complained because we had to move the gun so that it was not concealed while we were driving, then we'd have to conceal it again when getting out of the car.
    The argument was that there was too much handling of the firearm and it could cause an accident.
    Ok. Makes sense.
    But we're now arguing that we should be able to keep the gun in any manner in the car at all, rather than the limits in the present law.
    But...if we dont just keep the gun concealed while we're driving, and we have to REconceal it when we get out of the car...arent we now arguing against the logic we used in the first case ????


    The laws here definitely need tweaked some.
    I feel that the 'timely notification' aspect is where some abuse by those few bad cops out there could occur. If anything was changed, I think that and the restaurant areas are where Id like to see a change.
    Remove the notification issue entirely. It simply isnt necessary and can cause law abiding citizens to become 'criminals' based on the scenario and the LEO involved.
    Understood! What an entanglement of legal dung! The fact that CCW-holders are decent-LEGAL tax-paying U.S. citizens practicing a fundamental God-given right but forced to play a state-given right game, scrutinized and micro-managed, state to state, likely breaking a law at any given time, should be a main focus of USA Carry.
    Last edited by antietam; 02-19-2011 at 03:15 AM. Reason: speling

  9. Quote Originally Posted by enfd250 View Post
    Agreed. I live in NC and we're required to notify. However, I think I would elect to notify no matter where I am. If you're carrying legally, you should have nothing to worry about, even with an overzealous rookie. I'd prefer to notify over having the LEO catch a glimpse (for whatever reason) on their own and go into panic mode. I don't like kissing pavement.
    I agree with you 100% and in some states it is unlawful if you do not inform the LEO. I prefer to notify all the time and not jeopardize my right to carry.

  10. #829
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by bumnthsun View Post
    I agree with you 100% and in some states it is unlawful if you do not inform the LEO. I prefer to notify all the time and not jeopardize my right to carry.
    Alternatively, you could actually learn the carry laws of the state you happen to be in. Especially since you had damn well better know if they honor your state's permit.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  11. #830
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PANHANDLE, FL
    Posts
    144

    To inform or not when you have a choice ... bottom line

    Let's sum this topic up. Anybody who feels compelled to preemptively inform CCW status to an LEO, when not mandated by law to do so, is someone not to be trusted. As kids they brought apples to school for the teacher! They were born with that charactor. It is no more complicated than that ... fit it in with your own generational lingo but let's get to the substance of this issue; they haven't a clue to constitutional concepts - they are Pharisees. Don't get into a foxhole with these guys because they'll sell you out!
    Last edited by antietam; 02-19-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 83 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Commonsense in Concealed Carry, and Gunfights
    By Kaymen in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 06:11 AM
  2. Travel to Ohio from MA
    By DickL in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 03:07 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 10:32 PM
  4. A LEO speaks about citizens & CC
    By Glock Fan in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 11:52 PM
  5. Inside A Concealed Carry Class
    By lukem in forum Ohio Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 10:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast