Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 85
Page 85 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

1. Quote Originally Posted by softbaitmaker View Post
    It seems that being Americans we all enjoy our Freedoms. That is a given until it comes to Law Enforcement. All of a sudden many get the attitudes of being a hard ass. Tough guy thats going to protect his Civil Rights. Did you ever give consideration to the thought of that is what the LEO is also doing. He is out there every day risking his life protecting yours. Why make it all that much harder to do his job? If you have nothing to hide why not just prove it and allow him and you to go on about your business alot quicker.
    When a cop pulls me over for speeding, he checks my driver's license and registration and sees my insurance card and writes me a ticket for speeding, his job is done. Why is it part of his job to search my vehicle because I was speeding? Even if I have a gun in the trunk and he asks me if I have a gun and I tell him there is a gun in the trunk... why does that make it his job to look at it?

Just because I have nothing to hide is no reason for me to hand my rights over.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I really don’t understand the mindset that waiving your rights (which is exactly what you do as soon as you open mouth or consent to a search) is something we should do to make it easier for the cop.

To the cop on the side of the road you are just another potential criminal you are not his buddy just because you have a CHP.

Even if you have nothing in your car there is nothing to stop the police from dismantling it looking and no rule stating that they must put it back together when they leave.

I am firmly convinced that this one of those things you either get or you don’t and if you don’t nothing in the world (except a bad run in w/ the police) is going to change your mind. SO, I’ll simply leave you w/ this quote

"Any lawyer worth his salt will tell the suspect in no uncertain terms to make no statement to police under any circumstances."
    U.S. Supreme Court Justice Robert Jackson.

For those who don’t recognize the name Robert Jackson was one of the most distinguished jurists of the 20th century
    If he can’t convince you I never will
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by softbaitmaker View Post
    It seems that being Americans we all enjoy our Freedoms. That is a given until it comes to Law Enforcement. All of a sudden many get the attitudes of being a hard ass. Tough guy thats going to protect his Civil Rights. Did you ever give consideration to the thought of that is what the LEO is also doing. He is out there every day risking his life protecting yours. Why make it all that much harder to do his job? If you have nothing to hide why not just prove it and allow him and you to go on about your business alot quicker. We are all clammering about the amount of Illegal imigrants swarming our country. State by state the local Governments are now allowing officers to request full identification proof to begin weeding out the folks that don't need to be here. That has added more burden to the LEO's already busy job. I had a friend and his wife killed in a head on collision by a very drunk illegal imigrant that walked away with a few scratches and bruises but my friends are dead. This guy had been arrested 5 times for DUI, was shipped back to Mexico 4 times. The last time he will now spend the rest of his life in an American Prison for Vehicular Murder. 4 Times the LEO's did their job and arrested this individual and 4 times the courts failed us all by just sending him home so he could return in less than 5 days with a new name and do the same thing over. Just let the LEO's do their job without a bunch of hassle and your not surrendering any of your rights by allowing a search or by telling the LEO you are armed by offering up your CCW along with your license. Chances are he already knows you have one run if he ran your plates. JMHO
    Why you don't is because you don't have to. I do not want them knowing what is in my vehicle without having a court order saying they have the permission of the court to search. Are you guilty until proven innocent? Or the other way around? My right in this state is to not tell unless asked if I have a gun. If asked, then yes you do have to tell and provide your license if carrying. There are anti-gun cops out there and if they don't know, they are less likely to hassle you. Run my D/L or plates and they still won't know as neither is tied to my CW&F License.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    Depends.

The only time I ever was asked to search my car it was warranted because of the situation. The LEO's didnt know me from Adam and were very polite and professional in both asking and in their behavior before, during and after I allowed a search of my vehicle.
    a search was warranted because they didn't know you?

6. Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    a search was warranted because they didn't know you?
    and they were very polite and professional when asking!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Little hint...if we AGREE to a search, friend, its not giving up any rights.
    Its simply allowing a search that the officer can do anyone once he's determined 'just cause' because the person is acting like theyre hiding something.
    You most certainly have given up your 4th Amendment rights.

You clearly do not understand the meanings of "reasonable articulable suspicion" or "probable cause".

I'm not consenting to ANYTHING at ANY time.

My philosophy:
    • Know the law.
    • Obey the law.
    • Don't waive a SINGLE right.

It is my duty to know and obey the law. I have NO duty to cater to the extralegal whims, desires or wishes of LEOs. I have no intention of doing so.

If an LEO doesn't like that, the problem is with HIM.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    and they were very polite and professional when asking!

If I wasn't married I'd have to try that out
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by softbaitmaker View Post
    Did you ever give consideration to the thought of that is what the LEO is also doing. He is out there every day risking his life protecting yours.
    • Police have no legal duty to protect individuals.
    • Police have no legal liability when they fail to protect individuals.
    • Police have virtually no physical ability to protect individuals.

When your life is in danger right now, be willing and able to protect YOURSELF or don't get protected AT ALL.

Anybody who tells you different is lying.

I'm not giving up one ten thousandth of one iota of ANY right of mine, and certainly not on the basis of any fantasy of being "protected" by police.

Depends.

Ive seen a number of instances over the last couple years where what should have been a routine traffic stop turn very ugly because the driver had to be a smartass.

The only time I ever was asked to search my car it was warranted because of the situation. The LEO's didnt know me from Adam and were very polite and professional in both asking and in their behavior before, during and after I allowed a search of my vehicle.

Had I cussed at them like some morons do and started rambling about my rights, yeah..that would be acting like an ass ....and we ALL Know there are a LOT of people out there who act that way then whine like spanked little girls when they get roughed up and arrested.

9 times out of 10....or more....these folks get exactly what they deserve.
    "Had I cussed at them like some morons do and started rambling about my rights, yeah..that would be acting like an ass ..." This explains you and your intent on this forum. "Rights" talk is not rambling. Cussing an LEO does not describe a single participant in this forum so that makes you the only "ass" to even suggest it. You should not even be allowed to own a gun because you're not an American and you're obviously a kid. You're too ignorant to be an American and that makes you dangerous and suspect.

NYS has no requirement so I don't bring it up. If he asks me to step out of the car I will tell him I have a licensed, registered, loaded handgun on my hip. I will place my hands on the wheel and ask him to tell me what he needs me to do.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 85 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast