Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 87
Page 87 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Agreed. I also try to be polite and respectful with everyone I come into contact with. Not informing of the presence of a firearm is not being disrespectful. Refusing unlawful search or seizure on the grounds of "it's our right to refuse" is not being disrespectful. I really can not comprehend the mentality of those that think it is.
    Maybe you ought to read posts again.
    If you dont want to inform or allow a search no one is saying thats a problem.
    Someone took my post and exaggerated them because they clearly didnt have anything else to accuse me of...no big deal, I see it all the time in discussions like this one.

I choose to inform either way. Someone in this thread started foaming at the mouth because supposedly Im 'giving up my rights' (total BS, by the way) and that is what a few of you ran with instead of actually reading and understanding what I have posted.

Cops are our sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, fathers and mothers.
    I sure as hell dont feel bad if I 'give up my rights' and inform or allow a search to make their job easier.
    If you folks like feeling big because you can refuse a search, thats fine...as long as you obey the law and treat the LEO with respect.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    If you folks like feeling big because you can refuse a search, thats fine...as long as you obey the law and treat the LEO with respect.
    It appears to be impossible for you to comprehend the reason to refuse a search.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    Maybe you ought to read posts again.
    If you dont want to inform or allow a search no one is saying thats a problem.
    Someone took my post and exaggerated them because they clearly didnt have anything else to accuse me of...no big deal, I see it all the time in discussions like this one.

I choose to inform either way. Someone in this thread started foaming at the mouth because supposedly Im 'giving up my rights' (total BS, by the way) and that is what a few of you ran with instead of actually reading and understanding what I have posted.
    None of my posts have been specifically directed at you. If I misunderstood your stand in the issue I apologize.

I could care less if you choose to inform. I hope you never have your rights violated further for your choice. My take is that if you do inform you open yourself to such things as longer stop time, having your weapon confiscated for "officer safety", illegal search ran on the serial number of your firearm, pressure (intimidation) to consent to further vehicle searches, lectures on the carry of firearms etc..
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    It appears to be impossible for you to comprehend the reason to refuse a search.
    No, it appears YOU dont comprehend the reason FOR a search.

Contrary to the views of the deluded few here 99.999999% of the time law enforcement can catch a bad guy during a traffic stop.
    Cops dont know that YOU havent just gone off the deep end and arent about to blow something up or go on a rampage....or maybe just came back from one.

Traffic stops are one of the main ways that cops catch criminals.
    Since they DONT know me from Adam and *I* know Im not breaking any laws, there is absolutely no issue with simply allowing a search so they can prove to themselves that the person doesnt have a dead body in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Pele View Post
    Suppose you're out for a drive and you've got a tail light out... Or you're doing a bit above the speed limit and you just had a nice set of headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers put on your car...

Regardless, you're now on the side of the road with a blue light special behind you.

Officer comes to the door and asks for your license and registration... Do you inform him that you are in possession of a concealed handgun or not?

Does the matter that it's the sherrif, a local county officer, or a state trooper change your option?

I think the DMV here flags your plates when you get a CCW. I've always thought it's a good idea to inform.

"Officer, I understand you go through a lot of risk in your line of duty, I would like to minimize this risk and inform you that I am in possession of a Concealed Weapon permit and I do have the weapon on my person (or in the car) The weapon is on my left hip (or next to the emergency brake handle in the center console). My license and registration are in my left front pocket. How would you like to proceed?"
    Yes.
    Either way and every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    None of my posts have been specifically directed at you. If I misunderstood your stand in the issue I apologize.

I could care less if you choose to inform. I hope you never have your rights violated further for your choice. My take is that if you do inform you open yourself to such things as longer stop time, having your weapon confiscated for "officer safety", illegal search ran on the serial number of your firearm, pressure (intimidation) to consent to further vehicle searches, lectures on the carry of firearms etc..
    Im sorry. I just dont see the issue some do.
    If a cop unlawfully confiscates my handgun I'll see him in court and sue them until they wish they had never hired the rogue officer.

Ive yet to have them 'pressure' me into anything.
    As I said, if the situation warrants a search, I'll submit.

The only time my car was searched the way it happened made it very clear that the LEOs involved had very serious reason to believe they needed to search my car....but it was just this side of being a case where they could detain me.

I understood their concern about the way it happened and certainly had no problem waiting for 10 minutes while they opened the trunk and glove box.
    They were very professional about it. Explained in detail what their concerns were and why they were asking to search the car.
    If a cop ever does something wrong, maybe I'll handle it differently, but I WILL allow the search regardless and then sue his ass till he wishes hed never met me if he does anything illegal.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    No, it appears YOU dont comprehedn the reason FOR a search.

Contrary to the views of the deluded few here 99.999999% of the time law enforcement can catch a bad guy during a traffic stop.
    Cops dont know that YOU havent just gone off the deep end and arent about to blow something up or go on a rampage....or maybe just came back from one.

Traffic stops are one of the main ways that cops catch criminals.
    Since they DONT know me from Adam and *I* know Im not breaking any laws, there is absolutely no issue with simply allowing a search so they can prove to themselves that the person doesnt have a dead body in the trunk.
    Me refusal to allow them to look in my trunk for dead bodies is in no way hindering or interfering with their efforts or ability to catch criminals.

In fact, if the cop knows and respects the law, we won't waste time searching my vehicle and he can get on the road quicker to catch a real criminal.

BTW, the reason for a search for which a warrant must be obtained is to obtain evidence of a crime for which there is probable cause to believe has been committed.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    If a cop ever does something wrong, maybe I'll handle it differently, but I WILL allow the search regardless and then sue his ass till he wishes hed never met me if he does anything illegal.
    Good luck. By consenting to the search, you gave up about 90% of your rights and 90% of your defense in court.

10. How about consenting to this search, Ruger357SP101? Is this OK with you?

BTW, a same letter was sent to every FFL in Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    I think we BOTH know what Im talking about.
    The LEO asks you to sign a speeding ticket and you refuse and then cause an escalation.
    Are you stupid? Seriously, are you really that uninformed?

When you sign a traffic ticket you are agreeing to appear in court to dispute the ticket (or pay the fine) it's an ROR bond. If you don't sign the ticket the cop usually has no recourse but to arrest you and hold you until your trial.

And ,again, no one here is advocating being rude to the cop

Officer, (courtesy titles go a loooong way) I do not consent to any searches.

Officer, I do not wish to answer any questions w/out speaking to an attorney. Or "Officer I wish to exercise my right to remain silent."

Officer , am I free to go ?

Please cite the rude?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 87 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast