Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 89
Page 89 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Good luck. By consenting to the search, you gave up about 90% of your rights and 90% of your defense in court.
    Im sorry but this outlandish line is simply bull ****.
    There is no 'giving up' any rights by WILLINGLY allowing a search.
    That is backwater hick tough guy Rambo BS...nothing more.

There wont BE any court, pal, because I dont have anything in my car that any cop can arrest me over. How about you? You seem a bit concerned, quite honestly.

So there is nothing to DEFEND in court.

Easy enough.

How about consenting to this search, Ruger357SP101? Is this OK with you?
    How about you stick to the damned topic here? Which is informing while packing in a car...which I added the idea of allowing a vehicle search.

If you cant keep on the details we were discussing I can simply put you back on ignore.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    From YOUR personal perspective, no.
    But one has to wonder why you choose to make a LEO's job more complicated.
    I'm not making LEO's job more complicated at all. The game rules are laid out in the 4th Amendment. No probable cause = no ability to search without a warrant. It's that simple. I am not making anything more complicated, I am simply playing by the rules. If the cop doesn't like the rules and doesn't want to play by the rules, they are the ones creating complications not me. The rules are simple - I am going 12 mph over the speed limit, I pull over immediately when I see the flashing lights, I give my driver's license to the officer who checks it out - WHY IN HELL WOULD THE COP HAVE ANY REASON TO SEARCH MY TRUNK? What idea does he get in his head that causes him to feel the need to search my vehicle.

For the record, I have never been asked for consent to any search. Even when I was stopped for DUI 21 years ago - yes that's right, I'm no angel, the cop did not feel the need to search my vehicle. The only time I have been frisked was that one incident before he put me in his car, in the front seat, with handcuffs on. My vehicle, my home, and nothing else of mine has ever been searched.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    I prefer to work WITH law enforcement and make their job as easy as possible. If that means submitting to a search so they can get back to catching bad guys, so be it.
    So do I. Heck, I came around a curve doing 52 in a 40 because I forgot to reset my cruise control. There's the sheriff sitting at the grocery store running radar. I didn't even wait for him to pull out and turn on lights. When I saw him, I immediately turned on my hazard lights, and pulled onto a side road off the main road and waited for him! He ran my driver's license, thanked me for stopping and we went our merry ways. Had he asked me if he could look in my trunk... NO WAY! Why? Because there is NO REASON for him to think there is anything illegal in there!

Wrong.
    The LEO doesnt know a damned thing about you PRESENTLY.
    Most felons werent felons at some previous point in time...THEN they broke the law.
    For all this LEO knows you could have killed someone TODAY and have them in your trunk.
    You seem to think they are mind readers, which is asinine.
    And for some reason, you have this opinion that EVERYONE is a suspect until proven otherwise! You feel the need to show police your innocence. Your thinking is the reason that police states exist.

btw if you arent guilty of anything then a search shouldnt matter.
    Im starting to wonder if a few of you here might actually be WORRIED about a search more than this garbage about 'giving up' rights.
    I am worried about WHY the cop wants to do the search? They have no reason to desire to search my vehicle. This claim that you have that ANYBODY could have a body in the trunk, therefore cops SHOULD search the trunk just in case there is a body in there is asinine and is the basis for the establishment of a police state.

Again, when I get pulled over for speeding, I immediately stop with the flashing lights, I immediately hand over my ID, registration, and insurance. The cop checks it all out, WHY IN HELL IS THERE ANY REASON TO WANT TO LOOK IN THE TRUNK OF THE CAR?!?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Im sorry but this outlandish line is simply bull ****.
    There is no 'giving up' any rights by WILLINGLY allowing a search.
    That is backwater hick tough guy Rambo BS...nothing more.

There wont BE any court, pal, because I dont have anything in my car that any cop can arrest me over. How about you? You seem a bit concerned, quite honestly.

So there is nothing to DEFEND in court.

Easy enough.
    Hate to say it but dirty cops have been known to plant things during a search. So you just gave up this: Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I'm not making LEO's job more complicated at all.
    That depends on the situation.
    The game rules are laid out in the 4th Amendment.
    The 4th is to keep abuse out of the picture.
    How are you being abused by submitting to a search....UNLESS you have something to hide?
    No probable cause = no ability to search without a warrant.
    Correction.
    The ability is there with permission.

It's that simple. I am not making anything more complicated, I am simply playing by the rules.
    Please. Lets not stroke our egos here.
    You COULD allow the search, assuming you dont have drugs or a dead body in the trunk, and make things go quicker than being a nut and forcing the cops to detain you and get a warrant.

If the cop doesn't like the rules and doesn't want to play by the rules, they are the ones creating complications not me.
    The cop doesnt know you, friend.
    And if youre acting like that nut in the video youve given him cause to be suspicious.

The cop asked to search for a reason, if and when they do ask...meaning its likely you did something to warrant the request.
    Either you ARENT a lawbreaker and you make it go quickly so the LEO can make sure you arent hiding anything illegal...or you can be detained if he believes there is just cause to believe you are doing something illegal...even if you arent...and make you wait until he gets a search warrant.

Hours and hours later...yeah, you DID cause the issue to be drawn out longer than it needed to be since all you had to do was allow the search.

On this issue, I have to agree with NavyLT. Now understand that its a rare thing for a soldier to agree with a squid.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Hate to say it but dirty cops have been known to plant things during a search. So you just gave up this: Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    Ok, this is where I can see an issue....but do you actually think if a cop wants to plant something hes going to need to do a search FIRST?

All he has to do is saying he saw something during the stop in your backseat that made him think you were carrying drugs and he'll get his search anyway.

The rules are simple - I am going 12 mph over the speed limit, I pull over immediately when I see the flashing lights, I give my driver's license to the officer who checks it out - WHY IN HELL WOULD THE COP HAVE ANY REASON TO SEARCH MY TRUNK? What idea does he get in his head that causes him to feel the need to search my vehicle.
    Probably wouldnt in that case.
    Quit trying to control the discussion...we arent talking ONLY about situations where you are just speeding.
    When I allowed the search I was halfway across the state, sitting in my car in a quiet neighborhood reading a roadmap.
    The folks who lived there see a strange car sitting in front of their house with a man in it just hanging out there. There certainly was just cause for suspicion in this case.
    Had I just been speeding they wouldnt likely have asked to search the car.

For the record, I have never been asked for consent to any search. Even when I was stopped for DUI 21 years ago - yes that's right, I'm no angel, the cop did not feel the need to search my vehicle. The only time I have been frisked was that one incident before he put me in his car, in the front seat, with handcuffs on. My vehicle, my home, and nothing else of mine has ever been searched.
    hmmmmm.

So do I. Heck, I came around a curve doing 52 in a 40 because I forgot to reset my cruise control. There's the sheriff sitting at the grocery store running radar. I didn't even wait for him to pull out and turn on lights. When I saw him, I immediately turned on my hazard lights, and pulled onto a side road off the main road and waited for him! He ran my driver's license, thanked me for stopping and we went our merry ways. Had he asked me if he look in my trunk... NO WAY! Why? Because there is NO REASON for him to think there is anything illegal in there!
    Again, quit pretending that SPEEDING is the ONLY thing that can cause a stop.

And for some reason, you have this opinion that EVERYONE is a suspect until proven otherwise! You feel the need to show police your innocence. Your thinking is the reason that police states exist.
    What I know is that traffic stops are one of the main ways cops catch bad guys.
    If I can make their day a little less aggravating or save them some time I'll do it.
    And please, pal...try this BS with someone else.
    Cooperating with law enforcement hasnt got a damned thing to do with martial law.

I am worried about WHY the cop wants to do the search? They have no reason to desire to search my vehicle. This claim that you have that ANYBODY could have a body in the trunk, therefore cops SHOULD search the trunk just in case there is a body in there is asinine and is the basis for the establishment of a police state.
    This is such a BS line.

*IF* the LEO is BAD he CAN and WILL find a reason to search your car, pal.
    All they have to do is claim they saw something in your back seat that justified and immediate search and plant something during that search.
    If they ASK if they can search its HARDLY a case of BAD cops, friend.

Youre about as paranoid as they come.

Again, when I get pulled over for speeding, I immediately stop with the flashing lights, I immediately hand over my ID, registration, and insurance. The cop checks it all out, WHY IN HELL IS THERE ANY REASON TO WANT TO LOOK IN THE TRUNK OF THE CAR?!?
    AGAIN...STOP PRETENDING THAT SPEEDING IS THE ONLY TYPE OF STOP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    So are:
    • landscapers
    • check forgers
    • pastry chefs
    • serial killers

And I'm not giving up 1,000,000,000th of one part of one iota of ANY right of mine to ANY of them.

Your contempt for the 4th and 5th amendments does not constitute a reason for me to waive a single right, or part thereof.
    REALLY?
    so when was the last time one of those fine folks put their lives on the line during a traffic stop ?
    When was the last time one of them was shot dead trying to enforce the law?

If youre going to make a point, at least try to keep your arguments coherent and on topic.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    On this issue, I have to agree with NavyLT. Now understand that its a rare thing for a soldier to agree with a squid.

Could be worse.... you could be a jarhead agreeing with a squid!

BTW, I was in the Army National Guard from 1984 to 1988. In 1984 I went to Army Basic Training at Ft. Dix, NJ at the tender age of 17. In 2008, I returned to Ft. Dix as a Navy LT for ground combat training prior to deploying to Iraq. We were in exactly the same group of buildings, eating in the same chow halls as I was 24 years earlier!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 89 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast