Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 90
Page 90 of 117 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Could be worse.... you could be a jarhead agreeing with a squid!

BTW, I was in the Army National Guard from 1984 to 1988. In 1984 I went to Army Basic Training at Ft. Dix, NJ at the tender age of 17. In 2008, I returned to Ft. Dix as a Navy LT for ground combat training prior to deploying to Iraq. We were in exactly the same group of buildings, eating in the same chow halls as I was 24 years earlier!
    I went to Basic at Ft. McClellan in April of 84. OSUT for MP School as well. I passed through Dix on my way to Alabama. I was back at Dix again a year later for a week. I'm originally from NJ.

I know this is off topic for this thread, but we were very near to each other at the time.

3. Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Hate to say it but dirty cops have been known to plant things during a search. So you just gave up this: Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    To be fair, Ruger357SP101 did not give up his rights. He WAIVED his rights. For the time being his 4th Amendment rights are still intact, he just chooses to not exercise them.

The problem is that when enough people waive their 4th Amendment rights (or they don't even know they exist), some LEO's get used to it and consider it normal. Then, when the person comes along who values their 4th Amendment rights and exercises them, those LEO's are taken aback by it and have a problem with it. No LEO should have any problem at all if someone chooses to exercise their rights and it is abhorrent to think that a person exercising Constitutional rights is somehow worthy of suspicion or the "additional attention" of LEO.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    Ok, this is where I can see an issue....but do you actually think if a cop wants to plant something hes going to need to do a search FIRST?

All he has to do is saying he saw something during the stop in your backseat that made him think you were carrying drugs and he'll get his search anyway.
    If he has no access to the inside, he can't put something in there. Exterior plants are thrown out as they had access.

And as I drive a pickup truck with with high back seats and dark tinted rear windows, trying that tactic would get him discredited in any court. He can not see anything in thru the rear window. And no LEO should be dumb enough to stand any further forward than the vehicle's front door post until after your license has been run. And that is with me being a law abiding citizen.

Only time I have consented to a vehicle search is entering/leaving a military/gov't installation.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    To be fair, Ruger357SP101 did not give up his rights. He WAIVED his rights. For the time being his 4th Amendment rights are still intact, he just chooses to not exercise them.
    'waived' I can deal with.

The problem is that when enough people waive their 4th Amendment rights (or they don't even know they exist), some LEO's get used to it and consider it normal.
    I know what my rights are. I make it a point to understand the laws that affect me.
    I CHOOSE to allow a search where it is warranted and the officer is professional and polite about it. I have nothing to hide.

Then, when the person comes along who values their 4th Amendment rights and exercises them, those LEO's are taken aback by it and have a problem with it. No LEO should have any problem at all if someone chooses to exercise their rights and it is abhorrent to think that a person exercising Constitutional rights is somehow worthy of suspicion or the "additional attention" of LEO.
    Then that is on the individual officer.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    If he has no access to the inside, he can't put something in there. Exterior plants are thrown out as they had access.
    Not exactly true.
    A crooked cop could SAY that he saw something in the backseat which warranted an immediate search and then plant that something there.
    Dont say it cant happen because Ive read a case or two where it has happened just like that.

And as I drive a pickup truck with with high back seats and dark tinted rear windows, trying that tactic would get him discredited in any court. He can not see anything in thru the rear window. And no LEO should be dumb enough to stand any further forward than the vehicle's front door post until after your license has been run. And that is with me being a law abiding citizen.

Only time I have consented to a vehicle search is entering/leaving a military/gov't installation.
    How many cars do you see with tinted window ? maybe 1 in 500 ?

As I said...*IF* youre dealing with a crooked LEO hes going to know what he has to do to frame you. He wont have to POLITELY ASK if he can search your car.

To prove a point about cops making up crap...

Lots of years ago I was pulled over at 2am in an area with cops who were notorious for bogus traffic stops.
    When the female officer got to my door I asked her why she pulled me over.
    She says the crack in my windshield was the reason.
    BULL !
    That 'crack' was one single line at the very bottom of the window and when the wipers were down completely hidden from outside the car.
    She expected me to believe she saw this small 'line' on a dark road that was behind a wiper ? Sorry, not buying it.

I played along, she ran my license came back and sent me on my way.
    No big deal.
    Point being is she WANTED to pull me over, didnt have any excuse to, but then found one once she got to my car.
    Granted she wasnt a crooked cop, but had she been she'd easily have found a way to do whatever she would have intended on doing just like she found an excuse to have pulled me over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    I CHOOSE to allow a search where it is warranted and the officer is professional and polite about it. I have nothing to hide.
    How do you KNOW it's warranted?

Police are ALLOWED to lie during the course of an investigation.

I'm not waiving my rights for a total stranger with unknown and UNKNOWABLE motives.

You might want to look up the name "Kathryn Johnston".

9. Police

I am just astonished by Ruger's interpretation of the role of law enforcement bureaus. To believe that it's the LEOs job to conduct traffic stops as a tool to solve crimes is laughable. Traffic stops are to stop violations of traffic laws (presumably to make driving safer).

This is very telling folks. I believe there are millions of police-state zombies like Ruger in all walks of life.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Because the police were polite and professional when they asked! Geez, Deanimator, haven't you been keeping up?

The definition of warranted is simple to me.... it means they have a warrant signed by a judge in their hands. (With the exception of the Terry frisk and search for immediately accessible weapons associated with the Terry frisk.)
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Why dont you try READING sometime....a mind is a terrrible thing to waste.
    I gave MY example of what happened in the 80s during a stop.
    It WAS warranted because for all they knew I was some stalker from halfway across the state.

Police are ALLOWED to lie during the course of an investigation.
    ...yawn...

I'm not waiving my rights for a total stranger with unknown and UNKNOWABLE motives.
    Then DONT.
    just dont pull your BS lines with me. I know better.
    You might want to look up the name "Kathryn Johnston".
    And you might want to get off the dope so the paranoia might go away sometime soon.

Page 90 of 117 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast