Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?
Page 1 of 117 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Suppose you're out for a drive and you've got a tail light out... Or you're doing a bit above the speed limit and you just had a nice set of headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers put on your car...

Regardless, you're now on the side of the road with a blue light special behind you.

Officer comes to the door and asks for your license and registration... Do you inform him that you are in possession of a concealed handgun or not?

Does the matter that it's the sherrif, a local county officer, or a state trooper change your option?

I think the DMV here flags your plates when you get a CCW. I've always thought it's a good idea to inform.

"Officer, I understand you go through a lot of risk in your line of duty, I would like to minimize this risk and inform you that I am in possession of a Concealed Weapon permit and I do have the weapon on my person (or in the car) The weapon is on my left hip (or next to the emergency brake handle in the center console). My license and registration are in my left front pocket. How would you like to proceed?"

It depends on where you are. Some states require notification, some do not. That's the first determiner.

I live in Kalifornia (notification not required). Gun's are not PC. Most cops I'm sure would be OK with a CCW but some will not be. I would never notify in Los Angeles. The Cops have an average time in the job of less than 5 years. The Chief hates citizens having guns. If I were in one of the counties known to be gun friendly I might notify but not to a young cop. I've heard too many stories on cops who want to take possession of the gun, unload it, and who have no familiarity with guns other than the one they carry.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

4. Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    It depends on where you are. Some states require notification, some do not. That's the first determiner.
    Agreed. I live in NC and we're required to notify. However, I think I would elect to notify no matter where I am. If you're carrying legally, you should have nothing to worry about, even with an overzealous rookie. I'd prefer to notify over having the LEO catch a glimpse (for whatever reason) on their own and go into panic mode. I don't like kissing pavement.

I've been stopped once since I got my carry permit. I did not notify. I do not want an untrained or poorly trained Officer putting me in danger while he is trying to unload my gun. To each his own.

I also have a carry permit for Idaho. I might notify if I were stopped in Idaho (it is not required there either). It would depend on the officer and how I judged him.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

In NH, I beleive your plate is run along with the check. Basically the LEO already knows You Carry (in the System). Have'nt been stopped.......yet, since I've carried. IF and when I do, I will keep My hands on the steering wheel across from each other. When the officer asks for Lic. and Reg. I will inform them THEN that I have a LTC. Then and there I will wait for their instruction/s. Me personally wouldn't give a speach as far as...........
    "Officer, I understand you go through a lot of risk in your line of duty, I would like to minimize this risk and inform you that I am in possession of a Concealed Weapon permit and I do have the weapon on my person (or in the car) The weapon is on my left hip (or next to the emergency brake handle in the center console). My license and registration are in my left front pocket. How would you like to proceed?". Or anything similiar. I would still inform them whatever Rank.
    In MA., I'm not 100% sure. I hear different answers (unless someone on here can actually clarify), but I would still inform the Officer that I indeed have a LTC. As mentioned on here, if You are not breaking the law, then You should not have a problem. If I do get an "uneducated" officer then I guess I'll have too deal with their ego. In the end I know I did everything correct and will deal with it later. (meaning, if I got arrested etc.)
    As long as You're not breaking the law, just smile .
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

Here in Michigan buy law you have to tell the Officer and I believe give him your CCW and DL no matter what he is....State, County, Local.

We just had a discussion on this same subject. http://www.usacarry.com/forums/conce...-not-tell.html Here is my thought as stated earlier. "My rule of thumb regardless of which state I'm in if asked for my ID they get both. I consider it a courtesy to the Officer."
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Exclamation After Wearing A Uniform For 20+ Years...

I will always let the officer know out of professional courtesy. They have a tough enough job and the fewer surprises they get the better off we all are. 99% of ALL cops I have talked to prefer to be told up front. They may relieve you of your weapon during a traffic stop...but look at some of the very scary dash cam video of cops being shot at point blank range. Even with a vest that stuff hurts. Many will thank you for the heads up and leave you in charge of your weapon because you are being up-front and obviously have nothing to hide.
    There are only a few that go full blown ape nuts over legal ownership and possession of a weapon. These guys are easy enough to deal with. Simply ask for a supervisor and file a formal complaint. Follow up on the complaint with internal affairs and bad cops don't last long.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

I was pulled over one night in KY. My TN permit is valid in KY. My tail lights were out because of a bad fuse. I rolled down my window and he told me right away that my tail lights were out and then asked for my DL. I hand him my DL and CCW at the same time. He asked where my the weapon was and I told him in my right pocket (P3AT). He said just keep it there and returned to his car I'm guessing to run my DL and CCW. He returned a few minutes later, handed me my DL/CCW, thanks me for telling him I had a weapon and assisted me with replacing the fuse. I guess it was a slow night. All in all a positive encounter.

Blog Entries
    I was stopped and didn't tell the officer I had a CC permit because I didn't have my weapon with me.
    I just handed him my drivers licence and when he came back to the vehicle he asked why I didn't tell him I had a CC permit.
    I told him under the Ohio law I only needed to inform him if I was carring.
    After reading BigSlicks post I will from now on hand them my CC and drivers licence no matter if I am carring or not, nomally I am.
    Debray

Page 1 of 117 1231151101 ... LastLast